Apogee drops Windows support

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

Apogee drops Windows support

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Well, this doesn't really affect me, since I have no Apogee products and I'm on a Mac, but I thought it was interesting. Plus it might be useful info for any Apogee users here.
As of 2009, Apogee Electronics will no longer develop products for the Microsoft Windows platform. Apogee has made this decision in order to focus all research, development, and support resources on the Apple platform with its unparalleled power and stability. Apple offers a wide range of affordable, powerful desktop and laptop solutions ideally suited for music creation and audio production.

Apogee will continue to develop and manufacture premium converters, microphone preamplifiers, clocking solutions, and supporting technologies that provide world-class solutions for Mac-based production environments.

Windows users can obtain the Apogee sound by connecting Apogee converters to their Windows-compatible audio interface via AES, optical, or S/PDIF. Apogee technical support will continue to support legacy Windows configurations installed on Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Any questions regarding Windows support can be directed to Apogee technical support, available Monday through Friday 9 A.M. to 6 P.M. Pacific Standard Time. Technical Support can be reached either via phone at 310-584-9394, email here, or fax at 310-584-9385.
http://www.gearjunkies.com/news_info.php?news_id=3584

This should inspire some interesting new Mac vs. PC bitch fits.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:07 pm

apogee can suck my dick

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:11 pm

Apogee is still going to support their Windows XP sp2 compatible products. They're just not going to develop any new Windows stuff.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:12 pm

you're right. I scanned it quickly and skipped that part. Well i guess not all is lost for Apogee/windows users...

still though, kind of a low blow.
sweetjesus wrote:apogee can suck my dick
that's the spirit.

Da hand

Re: Apogee drops Windows support

Post by Da hand » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14 pm

aqua_tek wrote:
Over Apogee? I forgot they even existed.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:14 pm

sweetjesus wrote:apogee can suck my dick
Is there a backstory here?

I always thought Apogee makes high end audio interfaces on par with RME but it seems nobody ever mentions them in "what audio interface?" threads, except maybe the Duet.

What's the deal with Apogee in general?

aqua_tek

Re: Apogee drops Windows support

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Da hand wrote:
aqua_tek wrote:
Over Apogee? I forgot they even existed.
maybe not over Apogee itself, but for them deciding they're too cool for school, and dumping windows. This little part cracked me up:
Apple offers a wide range of affordable, powerful desktop and laptop solutions ideally suited for music creation and audio production.
... all that's missing from that passage (and it's already implied) is: "... and Windoze doesn't" :lol:

Well technically it would be "...and PC manufacturers don't".
Last edited by aqua_tek on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:17 pm

To me the lamest part about this is Apogee are trying to do the same thing that Apple did with Logic, take over an existing market. Metric Halo make high end sound cards with great pres in them, Apogee wants to compete directly with them IMO, which is kinda brutal, Apogee are far from boutique comparatively.
I'll stick with RME until this thing dies, it's relatively bullet proof, and works on all platforms.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:21 pm

The deal with Apogee is that they're a bit higher-end than most of us can afford. You hear about the Duet and occasionally the Ensemble around here, but not so much about the Symphony systems, Big Bens, and Rosetta's.

The bread and butter of Apogee is making D/A and A/D and clocks that are used in Pro Tools systems. They also make the Symphony system for people that like Apogee and want to go all the way with it and not use Pro Tools at all.

It's all quality stuff, not smoke and mirrors.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:22 pm

They make excellent gear, it's just really expensive so you don't see many people here with experience with it outside of the Duet, or maybe the Rosetta.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:24 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
I'll stick with RME until this thing dies, it's relatively bullet proof, and works on all platforms.
RME's are rock solid. The Fireface 800 is one of the best purchases I've made in a while.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:30 pm

Maybe part of it is they are tired of dealing with Windows bugs on tons of different hardware configurations and if they are more expensive than most maybe they also figure Apple users tend to drop more money on stuff than Windows users who are generally looking for the cheapest possible options. Maybe the Duet was a test run on this move.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:37 pm

Wondering how much of this is due to Vista and Windows 7? Kinda like how Pro Tools tried to a degree to get people over to Windows when OSX was still bunk for audio?

Just stirring the pot I guess, but sometimes it seems companies make decisions based on perceived trends. VST/VSTi software developers concentrating on Windows for most of the late 90's and early 2000's, thinking Mac was doomed, now it seems to me the tide is going the other way?

Windows 7 my guess will have some cool things for audio, but as usual, only Sonar will take full advantage.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:09 pm

Apogee seems to have a pretty tight relationship with Apple. I'm not sure to what extent, but there was a while there where it seemed like Apple was going to scoop them up. The Ensemble was the first very Apple looking thing they put out. The Duet feels exactly like a MacBook Pro to me.

I'm a happy RME owner too, but I'd love to slave my MultiFace II to an Apogee Big Ben clock to see if I could hear the difference, or A/B the digital conversion to hear the difference with a Rosetta.

Keddy

Post by Keddy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:21 pm

I just commented about this elsewhere, but here's my $.02:

I didn't know Apogee EVER made Windows compatible products, so whatever!
Inspiron 1520 - XP SP3 - Ableton Live7 - Reason 4 - M-Audio Axiom25 - Novation ReMote ZeroSL - Korg PadKontrol - M-Audio MobilePre - Ibanez SGR Bass - Hilo Ukulele