Motu Ultralite Cuts Out w/ High Pitch Squeal

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mjl5629

Motu Ultralite Cuts Out w/ High Pitch Squeal

Post by mjl5629 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:32 pm

Hello.

The sound cuts out abruptly from time to time while using my motu ultralite. I'm wondering if anybody else has this problem?

Is it my firewire port on my laptop? Maybe my cable? Or something else?

Thanks.

Green Lemon

Re: Motu Ultralite Cuts Out w/ High Pitch Squeal

Post by Green Lemon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:42 pm

post specs.
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

mjl5629

Post by mjl5629 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:49 pm

My firewire port on my laptop is:

texas instruments ohci compliant ieee 1394 host controller

My ultralite is older. I think mk2:

UltraLite Feature Summary

* Sturdy lightweight construction - ready to travel with you anywhere.
* Compact size (8.5" wide x 7" deep) - fits easily into a napsack, briefcase or computer bag and sits perfectly beside any laptop.
* Bus powered (requires a non-adapted 6-pin FireWire port on the computer) - no additional power supply necessary for complete recording freedom. Includes power supply for stand-alone operation (without a computer).
* Multiple CueMix DSP mixes - create different monitor mixes for the main outs and headphones. Add send/return loops for outboard gear with no latency.
* 10 inputs with 2 mic preamps and 14 outputs including separate mains - all the I/O you need.
* Discrete ins/outs - there's no channel sharing in the UltraLite; the analog I/O, mic inputs, S/PDIF I/O, headphone out and main outs are all handled as separate channels.
* Individual 48V phantom power - mix and match condenser and dynamic microphones.
* CueMix DSP™ near-zero monitoring system.
* Front-panel control - access your entire mix, or any UltraLite setting, directly from the front panel.
* Stand-alone operation - program your mixes at the studio and then bring the UltraLite to your gig. No computer needed.
* Just plug in any DC power adapter (10-24 volts, tip positive or negative). Need to tweak the mix? Do it on site using the back-lit LCD and front-panel controls.
* Two mic pre-amps with switchable 48-volt phantom power and front-panel trim controls.
* Three-way pad switch (0, 18 & 36dB) plus 24dB of adjustable trim (in 1dB increments) - provides 60dB gain range.
* 18dB of extra gain for the six TRS inputs.
* Sample-accurate MIDI - connect a MIDI controller and/or sound module with no separate interface needed. MIDI I/O is sample-accurate with supporting software.
* Expandable - add additional UltraLite, 828, 828mkII, 896, 896HD or Traveler FireWire interfaces for additional I/O.
* Six 24-bit 96kHz analog inputs and eight outputs on balanced/unbalanced 1/4" TRS jacks.
* Separate TRS main outs and front-panel headphone jack, each with independent volume control.
* Stereo 24-bit 96kHz S/PDIF in/out.
* SMPTE sync and striping via any analog input/output.
* Includes drivers for Mac & PC, including ASIO, WDM, Wave, GSIF, Core Audio, and Core MIDI. Supports all popular
Macintosh and PC audio software.
* 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs.
* Includes AudioDesk full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for Mac with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing & sample-accurate sync.
* Two FireWire ports - daisy-chain up to four units on a single FireWire bus without a hub.
* Plug-and-play operation with your Mac or PC via FireWire.
* Separate main outs with independent front panel volume control.
* Front panel headphone jack with independent volume control.
* Front panel LCD metering for all audio inputs and outpus.

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:22 pm

i'm having the same problem. i'm using MOTU with my desktop machine, but i'm planning to use it with laptop for live gigs.
i'm really concerned about this problem and i'm hoping it's just an driver update issue. i do have a latest drivers/firmware update though... :(
i'm on Win XP.
w!
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

continuous

Post by continuous » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:31 pm

I had a similar problem with my Traveler a while back. A suggestion I read on the UnicornNation site solved it for me. I assigned the optical input/output to ADAT even though I'm not using the optical in/out and have never had an issue since. I'm on a mac though so YMMV.

cheers

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:05 pm

mjl5629 wrote:My firewire port on my laptop is:

texas instruments ohci compliant ieee 1394 host controller

My ultralite is older. I think mk2:

UltraLite Feature Summary

* Sturdy lightweight construction - ready to travel with you anywhere.
* Compact size (8.5" wide x 7" deep) - fits easily into a napsack, briefcase or computer bag and sits perfectly beside any laptop.
* Bus powered (requires a non-adapted 6-pin FireWire port on the computer) - no additional power supply necessary for complete recording freedom. Includes power supply for stand-alone operation (without a computer).
* Multiple CueMix DSP mixes - create different monitor mixes for the main outs and headphones. Add send/return loops for outboard gear with no latency.
* 10 inputs with 2 mic preamps and 14 outputs including separate mains - all the I/O you need.
* Discrete ins/outs - there's no channel sharing in the UltraLite; the analog I/O, mic inputs, S/PDIF I/O, headphone out and main outs are all handled as separate channels.
* Individual 48V phantom power - mix and match condenser and dynamic microphones.
* CueMix DSP™ near-zero monitoring system.
* Front-panel control - access your entire mix, or any UltraLite setting, directly from the front panel.
* Stand-alone operation - program your mixes at the studio and then bring the UltraLite to your gig. No computer needed.
* Just plug in any DC power adapter (10-24 volts, tip positive or negative). Need to tweak the mix? Do it on site using the back-lit LCD and front-panel controls.
* Two mic pre-amps with switchable 48-volt phantom power and front-panel trim controls.
* Three-way pad switch (0, 18 & 36dB) plus 24dB of adjustable trim (in 1dB increments) - provides 60dB gain range.
* 18dB of extra gain for the six TRS inputs.
* Sample-accurate MIDI - connect a MIDI controller and/or sound module with no separate interface needed. MIDI I/O is sample-accurate with supporting software.
* Expandable - add additional UltraLite, 828, 828mkII, 896, 896HD or Traveler FireWire interfaces for additional I/O.
* Six 24-bit 96kHz analog inputs and eight outputs on balanced/unbalanced 1/4" TRS jacks.
* Separate TRS main outs and front-panel headphone jack, each with independent volume control.
* Stereo 24-bit 96kHz S/PDIF in/out.
* SMPTE sync and striping via any analog input/output.
* Includes drivers for Mac & PC, including ASIO, WDM, Wave, GSIF, Core Audio, and Core MIDI. Supports all popular
Macintosh and PC audio software.
* 100% compatible with all host-based effects processing in today's popular audio programs.
* Includes AudioDesk full-featured sample-accurate workstation software for Mac with recording, editing, mixing, real-time 32-bit effects processing & sample-accurate sync.
* Two FireWire ports - daisy-chain up to four units on a single FireWire bus without a hub.
* Plug-and-play operation with your Mac or PC via FireWire.
* Separate main outs with independent front panel volume control.
* Front panel headphone jack with independent volume control.
* Front panel LCD metering for all audio inputs and outpus.

Uhh, yeah, I meant the specs of your laptop sorry. We don't know what you're using- we know what an ultralite is. Like, you're on a PC for starters? How fast is it? How much RAM?
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

mjl5629

Post by mjl5629 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:19 pm

I'm on PC.

I have 2gb of ram. It's an older processor but I don't think that is the problem.

I kinda think it is the firewire port on the laptop. Unfortunately I'm using the smaller firewire cable. 4pin, not 6pin. (?) That means I need to use the power supply.

I guess mostly wondering if people have problems with their firewire connections overall.

Maybe it gets dirty in there and that interferes with the connection? I dunno?

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:28 pm

nope, i don't think it's FW issue. i use 6 pin FW on my desktop and have the same problem. i read somewhere that the bad grounding can cause this trouble, although i personally suspect that drivers are badly written.
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:10 pm

i have the same problem on my new laptop with both Vista and XP. increasing the buffer size to 1024 helped a bit but still with the odd pop, click and dropout. i lodged a note at Motu tech support, but no reply.

A-ok on my desktop tho :\ weird..

lauschepper

Post by lauschepper » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:21 pm

since this is a pretty old post, but didnt quite come to an conclusion. we write 2010 and i still have problems with these strange dropouts.

i get a high pitch "bleep" sound and 1-2 seconds without sound (dont know if u call it a dropout). then everything goes on like before.

i use the motu mk2 usb , vista 32. laptop runs 2 gigs of ram and a dual core 1.8 gh.

is there any help yet?

spadeAspade

Post by spadeAspade » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:35 pm

yeah, I started getting that, too. But, only after the phantom power busted and the LED randomly started going out. I'm never buying a MOTU again. My m-audio interface worked better than this.

I sold my maudio for a duet, and then sprung for the ultralite for the multiple outs (which really aren't all too necessary)

The issue has been back and forth between Motu and I for about a month with no conclusion. Poor customer service and horrible hardware/interface. Any recommendations for a stable multiout with decent pres?

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:47 pm

I had similar problem. I am non a PC, Vista 32bit.

1) Upgrade drivers to latest version from MOTU website.
2) Check version of rirmware against most recent version, upgrade if needed.
If you upgrade the firmware follow the directions carefully.

3) If you are on Windows you may have interactions with your video drivers. This is a video of what happens in that case, when moving interface elements you can get crackles.
These crackles can trigger the squealing, also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MU2k0Rh_rI

The video abouve and included info should help if you have this problem, crackling when using the mouse to re-size Live's windows.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:55 am

Shite!
I'm getting this too.

Only recently got the MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, and the high-pitch BEEEEEEEP happens every now and then, and the sound just dies.
It happens with both firewire and usb, so no ports are to blame.

Is there really no solution to this?
It's so annoying, and as I wanna go live at some point, this is unacceptable.

And oh yea, I've got a Macbook, so the question of a PC/Mac-only problem is pretty much ruled out.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:30 am

when you scan the internet audio forums you will realize that the high pitch squeal dropouts seem to be a common problem booth for apple and pc and independent from the audio interfaces...

it started to appear about maybe 1 year ago and is a strange phenomen where the solution seems to be that this all is a result of overheating !!!

interesting question why overheating is now such an intersystem problem... and why this just tacels with the audio engines so much...

that is a question no answer can be found on the net.. maybe its because some public key instalations inside the new systems that accedently interfear with audiodrivers.. maybe its vulcanic ash from island..we just dont know...

just.. in most cases cleaning the vents or extra cooling have cleared the situation..

what is rather strange.. but worked actually on my machine after i couldnt get it fixed otherwise...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:38 pm

i posted in this thread originally, but i have since sorted it out. it pretty much boils down to Operating System i found. I have ran Vista, Win7, and XP all on the same machine, having the best results with XP. Vista was just terrible, and trying to stop pops and squeals proved to be a waste of time.

keep any unnecessary services to a minimum.. that is, wireless, bluetooth, anything you can think of.

download DPC latency checker, and monitor the spikes. it will give you an indication of where and when you are having the trouble, and how to go about fixing it.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

you can also download Process Monitor, to further indicate the 'trouble areas'7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96645.aspx

also something to bear in mind, was that MOTU 'do not recommend' Ricoh firewire chipsets. which is really something they should advertise a bit louder, because it can be a huge deciding factor. In saying that, my Ultralite runs ultra-smooth on XP (wireless card disabled). It took me a few weeks to find the perfect setup, which was a bit of a nightmare, but in the end I got rid of those annoying digital birds !!!