What is the best midicontroller for clip launch?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kristoffer1989

What is the best midicontroller for clip launch?

Post by kristoffer1989 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:57 am

Well we now hhave the apc with a great matrix grid but it is really big and has a bounch of knobs. I have a faderfox lv-2 so i don't want more knobs.
We have the monome, but then again it is sooo hard to get and it is really expensive.
We have padkontrollers(padkontrol, nanopad, mpd24, mpd32) But they don't ave that many buttons.
We have keyboards, both midikeyboards and regular computerkeyboards but the layout is not really grsat for clip triggering.
Then we got the faderfox lx-2 witch seems like a really great unit. But you have only have rows for 3 tracks at a time..

What is the best clip launcher for live when you only need buttons for clip triggering and not a bunch of knobs?

Brian W. Green

Re: What is the best midicontroller for clip launch?

Post by Brian W. Green » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:18 am

kristoffer1989 wrote:Well we now hhave the apc with a great matrix grid but it is really big and has a bounch of knobs. I have a faderfox lv-2 so i don't want more knobs.
We have the monome, but then again it is sooo hard to get and it is really expensive.
We have padkontrollers(padkontrol, nanopad, mpd24, mpd32) But they don't ave that many buttons.
We have keyboards, both midikeyboards and regular computerkeyboards but the layout is not really grsat for clip triggering.
Then we got the faderfox lx-2 witch seems like a really great unit. But you have only have rows for 3 tracks at a time..

What is the best clip launcher for live when you only need buttons for clip triggering and not a bunch of knobs?
if you wer to get a monome just for clip launch that is stupid

i think apc40 is best bet honestly so what u have a few extra knobs i think its the best all around thats what im going to be switching over to.

dizzib

Post by dizzib » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:55 am

Perhaps you could get another LX2 if you need more tracks. Or maybe something like this http://www.genovation.com/682.htm ?

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:47 pm

dizzib wrote:Perhaps you could get another LX2 if you need more tracks. Or maybe something like this http://www.genovation.com/682.htm ?

Its windows only. I'm on a mac.
Yeah two lx-2s are of course one solution. A prety good one maybe.
I think that is the best one i know of for now. Anyone else know any good solutions? I think the apc is too big for me to carry around all the time. I loove the portability of my lv2.

But what other options is there around? I could buy say like 4 nanopads. But then i would need one more usb hub. hmm..

So what do you guys think?

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:33 pm

and also one more thing. The faderfoxes works like this: 1 press start second press = stop. I would like the second press to just start it again. 'cos I am playing with a full band without click and will have to trigger my loops manualy without quantize and sometimes i fuck up and will have to start it again.

The lx2 will not let me do this is think.

grantb3

Re:

Post by grantb3 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:52 pm

kristoffer1989 wrote: Its windows only. I'm on a mac.
Once programmed the Genovation 682 will work on any OS and you only need to program it once (but you'll use it every day).

If you want to preset USB or PS/2 codes/macros then the 683 or 682 are fine. If you want MIDI data directly you can use a MiniTerm 900 (v5.10 and later).
Last edited by grantb3 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:56 pm

You can do your own controler, with a computer keyboard, or with a doepfer kit, or midibox. It's pretty easy and unexpensive.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

tecnola

Post by tecnola » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:27 am

http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys/xkpro.php

I use this keyppad by xkeys. it comes with a basic application you use to set the keys individually as any letters, numbers, or symbols.

layout how many tracks and clips you want.

then all i do is use key select function on ableton to set each tracks play button to a key as well as each individual clips launch button.

then i just color code the keys with a colored piece of construction paper under the removable clear cap each key has.

sherman

Post by sherman » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:00 am

Brian W. Green wrote:if you wer to get a monome just for clip launch that is stupid
Agreed, but a cheaper, mass-produced similar device that just sends midi cc's / notes would be awesome. They'd have next to zero competition in the market too..
--sherman

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:08 am

tecnola wrote:http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys/xkpro.php
I use this keyppad by xkeys. it comes with a basic application you use to set the keys individually as any letters, numbers, or symbols.

then i just color code the keys with a colored piece of construction paper under the removable clear cap each key has.
killer first post bro! welcome to the forum
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

riotschool

Re:

Post by riotschool » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:08 am

kristoffer1989 wrote:and also one more thing. The faderfoxes works like this: 1 press start second press = stop. I would like the second press to just start it again. 'cos I am playing with a full band without click and will have to trigger my loops manualy without quantize and sometimes i fuck up and will have to start it again.

You just have to change the clip launch mode on your clips to get around this...

grantb3

Post by grantb3 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:19 pm

sherman wrote:Agreed, but a cheaper, mass-produced similar device that just sends midi cc's / notes would be awesome.
They'd have next to zero competition in the market too..
The Genovation MiniTerms 9xx starting at v5.10 will have this. 20 buttons (one can be a shift/toggle giving you equiv of
40), but as far as MIDI, you can put anything on each button or key you want, but it's rather crude how you set it up...
you just add MIDI commands one by one or you can put them in via hex. I have a beta version so maybe I can post a screen
shot later...
http://www.genovation.com/900.htm

Edit: I should explain that the 9xx can operate as a USB HID keyboard (for shortcuts) or as a serial device (incl MIDI).
Here is the screen shot. I'm a beta tester for them so I can pass on your ideas back to the company.

I have already passed along the idea of using the 681 for MIDI (35 keys instead of 20 and no LCD) and they seemed
receptive to the idea.

kristoffer1989

Re: Re:

Post by kristoffer1989 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:39 pm

riotschool wrote:
kristoffer1989 wrote:and also one more thing. The faderfoxes works like this: 1 press start second press = stop. I would like the second press to just start it again. 'cos I am playing with a full band without click and will have to trigger my loops manualy without quantize and sometimes i fuck up and will have to start it again.

You just have to change the clip launch mode on your clips to get around this...

No its a special automapscript for the faderfoxes so it doesn't work.
Kristoffer Lislegaard
Myspace - Soundcloud - Vimeo

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:44 pm

tecnola wrote:http://www.xkeys.com/xkeys/xkpro.php

layout how many tracks and clips you want.

then all i do is use key select function on ableton to set each tracks play button to a key as well as each individual clips launch button.

This actually looks like an amazingly good solution! A bit hard to get hold of them here in Norway but i'll try when i have the money. thank's for the tip!
Kristoffer Lislegaard
Myspace - Soundcloud - Vimeo

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:13 pm

FWIW, a keypad (inclding the keyboard) can be programmed for midi using Chirp.

http://www.tanageraudioworks.com/Products/Chirp/

I've been trying out the X-Tempo Pok for a foot based alternative (I'm a guitarist). This is an expensive device, but if I can get it to work properly it will be excellent.

My first unit had an unworkable latency (about a half second) like my stenographer's footswitch, but both X-Tempo and Sweetwater say that I got a defective unit, so I will be giving it a chance as soon as the new unit arrives.

Except for the latency it was an excellent way to trigger just about anything (MIDI also, with Chirp as mentioned above.