sampled sounds not fitting in my overall mix

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hitechsoul15

sampled sounds not fitting in my overall mix

Post by hitechsoul15 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:41 am

Some what of a newbie question, but I sample quite a bit from vinyl and every time I sample and incorporate it in live it doesn't fit well in the mix. Whenever i just use all midi or manufactured sampled WAV sounds my mix is clean without the need of excessive plugins to clean the sound. I'm assuming that my problem is a bit rate/sample rate problem because of the sample sent through a mixer and then my Mbox 2, or could it be something else? If it is to with different bit rates clashing, how do i fix this..... confused : /

I've always thought that sampling from vinyl would make my music "warmer" and not so thin, but so far it has made my mixes significantly worse.

logic_user99

Re: sampled sounds not fitting in my overall mix

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:35 pm

examples? How is it differenet?

I think it just comes down to the fact that, when you sample from vinyl, you are re-recording a product. Regardless of bit-rates (not from an LP!) you're going to get a 'different' sound if you sample from vinyl, than if you use a bunch of plugs or if you record with a source with a microphone.

If sample material from LPs, too, and it can often take a fair bit of work to get the sounds to meld nicely with my pre-exsisting MIDI instruments or cleanly recorded audio.

I'd say go back to the drawing board. Make sure your sample depth/rate is the highest that your soundcard can muster. Make sure that you have the best possible record ratio (high out from the deck, low input gain - it'll reduce the noise floor of the recording). And, don't be afraid to process the sh** out of your vinyl recordings until it fits how you want it to.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:54 pm

Have you tried eqing/compressing/reverbing the sounds? Clearly sampled vinyl will have unique sound characteristics that will need to be either used for their effect or tinkered with to make them fit.

GrooveNinja

Post by GrooveNinja » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:21 pm

hitechsoul15 wrote: I've always thought that sampling from vinyl would make my music "warmer" and not so thin, but so far it has made my mixes significantly worse.
How are you recording it? Did you plug your phono right into the mixer? Does your mixer have dedicated phono inputs, and not just regular line-level inputs? Phono inputs have special pre-amps and equalization without which the sound will probably be very 'thin', as you say.

Chang

Post by Chang » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:27 pm

Stuff sampled from vinyl is usually loaded down with tons of hidden 20-30Hz. The sounds wont fit in mix any better than a big fat lady into little dress. Cut eq. Bring up a meter while holding the record in place with the platter turning, you'll see all kinds of funky 20-30-40Hz anomalies going on. That crap needs to be cut out to avoid the mud pit.

Chang

Post by Chang » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:38 pm

Try these new Gold baby "Vinyl" drums, they cut all machines one sound at a time to vinyl. They'll sound right. I have yet to find anything from these guys that doesn't sound amazing.

http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/vinyldrummachine.html

mrvinyl

Post by mrvinyl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:42 pm

is it in key that is the question?
House Music Made In England...
Twitter
Facebook

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:40 am

surely your recorded samples must be out of tune. this happens due to the speed at which your vinyl was recorded. try and tune your samples. it's not very easy, but the reward is no more tuning problems with samples! either that or detune your synths and samplers to match the main samples, so everything is 'in tune'.

Chang

Post by Chang » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:00 am

hitechsoul15, you say -

"I sample and incorporate it in live it doesn't fit well in the mix"

Are you talking about the tuning of the sounds or the mix balance? Please be more specific.

drumrak

Post by drumrak » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:08 am

how do you guys tune your samples? i try with my ear and piano but sometimes i use a guitar tuner.