Anyway to slice to Impulse???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Trypset

Anyway to slice to Impulse???

Post by Trypset » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:11 am

I have created a drum rack which features Impulse on each of the pads. I like the features Impulse has for drums rather than simpler.

I saved this drum rack, i also dragged it into the slicing defaults....however when I slice to my newly created default it ignores that I had Impulse in the cells and just places the pieces in a simpler.

Is there anyway to achieve this?
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

leisuremuffin

Re: Anyway to slice to Impulse???

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:52 pm

nope. right now you can only make slicing presets for simpler or sampler.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:38 pm

lame

thanks for the informative reply
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

chasedestroy

Post by chasedestroy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:02 pm

manually make slices, and drag them into you impulse cells. i know that sucks (especially if you are slicing a huge chunk of audio) by comparison to slice to midi, but it is a workaround.
"all music is inherently psychedelic" g. p'orridge

http://www.soundcloud.com/c-db-sn
http://tympanikaudio.com/artists/cdbsn

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:23 pm

yeah that what I've been doing.

I really like impulse for drums better than anything else....it has filters, transpose, stretch, start and decay

which i am assuming do the same thing as attack and release?
TrypseT

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:53 pm

chasedestroy wrote:manually make slices, and drag them into you impulse cells. i know that sucks (especially if you are slicing a huge chunk of audio) by comparison to slice to midi, but it is a workaround.
Or throw it into Recycle and drop the slices into Impulse?

STRATEGY

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:04 pm

Trypset wrote:yeah that what I've been doing.

I really like impulse for drums better than anything else....it has filters, transpose, stretch, start and decay

which i am assuming do the same thing as attack and release?
Start isn't the same as attack.

I barely use impulse, because I like drum racks better (unfolding!) but would LOVE to see stretching there too.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:24 pm

I've also been wanting the availability to use the first slot in Impulse as a default for Drum Racks too. For me it's the 'stretch' 'drive' and 'soft' controls.

It just feels like they just constantly neglect my long time favorite instrument in Live. I've written about it a few times but never hear any feedback from Abes.

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:04 am

well we can keep this thread alive in hopes of gathering new tricks, or maybe drawing attention of the right people.

So all start does is affect where the sample actually starts from..... :) i complicate things sometimes, not like they didn't label it correctly
TrypseT

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:16 pm

slice to impulse would be so rad. impulse stretch is a unique part of ableton ... different sounds stretch in different ways, maybe due to zero-crossings ... some sounds make a buzz when they stretch ... others more of a high tone ... others kind of a grainy gurgle ... and finally some sounds make a longer more percussive loop that sounds kind of like a delay. can allow for some interesting variations in sound.

also, the filter & distortion sounds different to my ears than any other filter in ableton. cheaper in a way i guess, but another flavor.

no other instrument in ableton can easily do the pitched-drums trick in impulse ... for example ... automate pitch up or down on a snare roll ... instant crunk hiphop snare roll. if you do that with simpler/sampler, it's going to sound different.
same trick with filter cutoff ... not a smooth tweak but rather a stepped tweak, per-note.
just some handy tricks to get a different feel from your samples.

finally, the output of impulse can be over-driven to get a very nasty digital clipping. good for painful industrial/noise beats

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:19 pm

oooh and the random features for most of the parameters ... none of the abe devices have that in a way that is so easy to use.

i have a new idea "simpulse" ... wouldn't that be sick ... a single impulse cell for drum racks!

condra

Post by condra » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm also a big Impulse fan.

jamester

Post by jamester » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:09 pm

andrewbrewer wrote: i have a new idea "simpulse" ... wouldn't that be sick ... a single impulse cell for drum racks!
I've actually requested this before, and was hoping it would be in v.8 but alas no...

Simpler was never designed to be a drum sample player in Live, that was Impulse's job. When the Drum Racks came out it seemed to me that Simpler would just be a temporary solution, until they (re)designed Impulse as a single-sample player specifically for Drum Racks.
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Yes impulse is cool!
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:45 pm

+1
TrypseT