Wow, Just experienced an earthquake!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Wow, Just experienced an earthquake!

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:36 pm

Green Lemon wrote:Earthquakes are cool when nothing falls down on you. I was in the 89 quake in the Bay Area, at a swimming pool. That fucker started sloshing like nobody's business!

Are you my ex girlfriend? She made the local paper for getting tossed out of the school pool by the waves that were generated from that quake....as if that was the worst thing that happened.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:52 pm

I experienced lots of them when i lived in alaska, with one pretty big one at 7.9. the center was in the middle of nowhere about 180 miles away . shook anchorage for long enough to get up .. go some place safe and start thinking .. oh shit 8O

in 64 anchorage got hit really hard.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:34 pm

Can relate to the horse story mikemc.

The rumbling noise seemed to come from far away, and the vibration just got more intense until it peaked.
Just for a second there it was like, ohh, how big is it gonna get?
The wobble kept going for another 30 seconds or so, but nothing like the first 10 seconds.

I tried to sample it, but wasn't quick enough, so I can't post it to anyone. Sorry. :(

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:48 pm

I was in the '89 quake. some of the aftershocks were really close to my (parents') house, one sent me running out of the house, I could see the frame of the house moving around me, f---k that. they feel like you're standing on a big piece of plywood and people are slowly moving it back and forth.

when people start talking about the weather on a really nice day I tell them "yeah, this is perfect earthquake weather, better be careful." more often than not they go 8O "you serious?"
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:30 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I was in the '89 quake. some of the aftershocks were really close to my (parents') house, one sent me running out of the house, I could see the frame of the house moving around me, f---k that. they feel like you're standing on a big piece of plywood and people are slowly moving it back and forth.
This sounds damn terrifying. Apparently we had a slight earthquake tremor here in Indiana a couple years back, but I slept through it. I would rather not experience the real thing 8O

greta

Post by greta » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:45 pm

I hate earthquakes and will never get used to them. A complete feeling of helplessness as you start to feel the floor move beneath you. The worst i have experienced was quite small...4.7 (IIRC) but an epicentre only 10 miles away. No rumbling as you heard it get nearer, just a very sharp jolt as if someone pushed the side of the house. Bigger ones but further away haven't been so bad.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:39 am

i experienced a 6.8 when i lived in Seattle back in 2001, fucker shook me right out of bed. and being from NY, i didn't really know what to do and confused it with a tornado and jumped into the damn bedroom closet, and of course a ton of shit fell on my head. crazy to look outside and see the street rippling like a wave with cars on it. was definitely something to experience, once. glad you guys are ok. time for a drink then.

spiral

Post by spiral » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:51 am

yeah the house shook a little and that was about it

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:24 pm

beats me wrote:
Green Lemon wrote:Earthquakes are cool when nothing falls down on you. I was in the 89 quake in the Bay Area, at a swimming pool. That fucker started sloshing like nobody's business!

Are you my ex girlfriend? She made the local paper for getting tossed out of the school pool by the waves that were generated from that quake....as if that was the worst thing that happened.

Drat, you've found me out. And I thought my stalking would be incognito!
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:10 pm

agreed, death and destruction aside, good fun. the Earth is HUGE, you are tiny and insignificant. I've heard accounts from people who got to see the actual waves in the ground, one guy was in an open field, another was driving and watched the ripples in the road ahead of him.

maybe today we'll get one.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:47 am

funky shit wrote:I want to experience a earthquake.
yeah, death and destruction aside, me too !
must be fascinating. but if it would hit me
unexpected it would scare me to death i guess.
have to see an erupting volcano, too...
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
agreed, death and destruction aside, good fun. the Earth is HUGE, you are tiny and insignificant. I've heard accounts from people who got to see the actual waves in the ground, one guy was in an open field, another was driving and watched the ripples in the road ahead of him.

maybe today we'll get one.

My dad tells this story of being in a quake in San Diego in the 60s, in a shop with glass countertops. He says the countertop started rippling just like water- right frequency. Didn't shatter, either!
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:47 am

Used to kind of enjoy them until sitting and watching Kobe crumble in 95, now they just give me the fear.
youtube vid
In the first part there's actually someone been sleeping in the office there, bottom right. And the folks running from the Space 1999 stylee office building's kinda funky too. Still, no thanks, would rather not be in the subway or somewhere.