Beginners advice

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bolleh

Beginners advice

Post by bolleh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:44 am

Hello,

Since about 7 weeks i've been working on making music again, I did do so years ago but unfortunately I stopped and sold/gave away all my basic equipment. But I decided to get back into making music since it's still what I love to do.

I've tried alot of different programs and I found Live to be the most intuitive for me. I've been using Live 6 LE Digidesign Edition for a month now but im seriously hampered by the limited use of tracks/sessions but primarily effects and instruments.

I have a list of equipment I want, but since im still 24 I cant just splash out a couple of grand so I plan to do this over the summer. But my current edition of Live is seriously hampering my creativity and inspiration.

My idea was to get one or 2 of the Korg Nano series(Pad + Controller) and use the coupon to get Live 7 LE since that supports a bit more effects and alot more tracks.

Im just wondering if its a wise decision since I plan to buy Live 8 around the summer anyways. Im kinda tempted to buy these things now because it will give me a bit more freedom to operate at this moment and will give me a chance to learn more about the abilities of Live before I get myself the full edition over the summer.

Since I havent done music in years I am overwhelmed by the amount of abilities anyways so I think it'd be wise to start out with a "hampered" edition of Live because it requires you to think out-of-the-box in order to get the results you want.

It seems logical to me, but i'd like to get the opinion of more experienced users to compare with my own thoughts on the subject

Gogz

Re: Beginners advice

Post by Gogz » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:54 am

Hi just wondering have you registered your live 6 because i had live lite 6 and when i registered it there was a free upgrade to live lite 7 and that was in Dec hope this is of some help

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:41 am

I too chose live after many years away from music making (previously Cubase, then Logic).

I think I lasted 3 days with the cut-down version I got with an audio interface before buying the full version. Personally, I don't see the point in learning how to deal with restrictions that'll be lifted as soon as you buy the full version, which you're planning on doing some day anyway.

bolleh

Post by bolleh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:37 pm

I havent looked at the upgrade yet, but will that really help me out?

With the Live LE DE i have 4 audio and 4 midi tracks. Only 2 instruments, 1 send and 2 audio effects. So thats really nothing if you want to make anything basically.

The regular LE version has 8 instruments, alot more audio tracks/unlimited midi and 12 audio effects plus 2 sends/returns. So that would give me a bit more freedom to operate and time to get used to Live a bit more.

Im simply not in the financial position at the moment to buy a full version. However with my current day job I reckon I will be around May-June

I did find a seller in my city who sells Live 5 for 125 euros, I could upgrade that to 7 for 149 so thats a bit interesting as well.

Im just wonder if I wont miss the extra instruments that the Suite version boasts since obviously I dont have any hardware stuff untill the summer either.

Tough choices