Post your set up and your sexy cat...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Post your set up and your ugly face...

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:45 pm

They're plugged anyway, doesn't matter in this case.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

condra

Post by condra » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:52 pm

I get the impression Tarekiths studio has been refined over time. That's what I like about it.

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:58 pm

I get the impression Tarekith likes blue... :wink:

condra

Post by condra » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:10 pm

minimal

Post by minimal » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:39 pm

spotted an anniversary edition MD UW MKII in tarekith studio!

tempted to paint my non-anniversary edition...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:32 am

The ports are plugged with some 2" rubber plugs, then covered with flat black fabric to make them a little less noticeable. For where they are positioned, it was just too bassy with them unplugged, sounds much better this way.

Yes I like blue, I spend so much time in my studio that I need something around me that makes me calm, and not antsy the way red does. I am thinking about maybe going with a green color scheme in a few months though, just because it has been blue for so long now.

Yep, that's an Anniversary MD-UW MKII, #50 of 50. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's red. Not blue. I even asked the Elektron guys if I could get a custom blue one, but they said no. Oh well :)
Tarekith

Sales Dude McBoob

Re:

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:42 am

SubFunk wrote:
cbentley wrote:
Sales Dude McBoob wrote:CBently... which is your favorite outboard preamp that you own?

Someday I want to buy a dual channel super fancy preamp. I've considered the Summit 200 which I see you have. Which one do you get the most use out of?
The Chandler Limited TG2 gets the most use around here since it works so well on a variety or sources but the Summit has mor of a 3d sound to it... if that makes much sense. You can also get some nice distortion if you overdrive the inputs but it's a tad darker than everything else I have. When I was tracking other bands I got into the Seventh Circle preamp kits and they sound really great for the money. Now that I'm just back to doing synth stuff and overdubs it's a bit of a waste to have all these but I can't seem to let anything go.
I'm also partial to the Great River 2NV even though I don't own one(used several times with great results).
@ Sales Dude McBoob, ever tried "the brick" tube pre amp?

seeing your lust for vintage / analog gear give it a go, sonically speaking it's one of the finest mic pre's around, works especially good with large diaphragm mics, like the U87, / TLM 49/67 and ADK Vienna... and is only around 500 USD, it's a single channel amp, though.

and here is what this little fellow looks like http://aes.harmony-central.com/115AES/C ... Brick.html
Hey Subfu... I'm not familiar with the Brick. It's nice and affordable though. I've been very rack-gear focused lately due to space restrictions in my new space. I'm afraid cbently got me pretty hooked on the idea of that sweet TG2. Unfortunately I've got my gear lust completely tamed down now. I won't be dropping big money on outboard anytime soon.

i patched turntables + mixer through my genelec 8030's yesterday. it's sounding really sweet. i also got them up at the right ear level. i didn't use glass bricks, i got away with using an old ham radio and the other is on top of my 16U rack. Having your monitors at the proper ear level is soooooo important and it sounds soooooooooooooo much better. I've very happy with the sound! I'm listening to the Caribou album "Andorra" on them right now and it's a lush sonic feast.

condra

Post by condra » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:54 am

Speaking of clolur schemes, I find blue depresses me. I like to be surrounded by off-red - pink, cherry, wine etc.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:14 am

condra wrote:Speaking of clolur schemes, I find blue depresses me. I like to be surrounded by pink...
Tarekith

condra

Post by condra » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:27 am

n0nce

Post by n0nce » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:03 am

forge wrote:
SubFunk wrote:^^^ is that a euphonix control fader surface?

if yes, i don't get it... so much money spend on that but using a fw410?

sorry to say, but feels like berlin clubs buying great soundsystems and not treating the rooms or fancy gear all summing through a behringer desk or behringer patchbay... what's the point?

i have actually seen several studios here with an odd chain of signal quality...
I've had a FW410 for about 5 years now and it's been fine
And when was your last hit recored released?

SubFunk

Re: Re:

Post by SubFunk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:14 am

i patched turntables + mixer through my genelec 8030's yesterday. it's sounding really sweet. i also got them up at the right ear level. i didn't use glass bricks, i got away with using an old ham radio and the other is on top of my 16U rack. Having your monitors at the proper ear level is soooooo important and it sounds soooooooooooooo much better. I've very happy with the sound! I'm listening to the Caribou album "Andorra" on them right now and it's a lush sonic feast.
oh, yeah, that is the thing especially with genies as well, they are a bit sensitive about positioning (actually any good monitor is) and once you adjust them properly you can easy gain up to a 50% improvement of performance...!
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:16 am

Rave wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
oh, yeah, that is the thing especially with genies as well, they are a bit sensitive about positioning (actually any good monitor is) and once you adjust them properly you can easy gain up to a 50% improvement of performance...!

I have some quiklok adjustable stands so I should be good for that. Remind me please, which part of the speaker should be at ear level?

Thanks by the way for all your info :)
in a classic 2way nearfiled, the spot inbetween the two cones...

also a decent distance from a wall (rule of thumb min. 30-40cm) / not squashed into a corner... i moved mine for about two weeks everyday a little / dsitance /angle /etc. to find the "sweet spot" there is nothing better than trying and listening.

the genies come with a handy "setup" sheet if you go for them... but don't trust my words to much, when it comes to monitors, you might faver something else... there is a lot of people who love yamaha or adams or mackies 8O , which i can't stand at all...!!!

go listen...

i like next to genelecs dynaudios as well, they are somehow "smoother"
or yo! PMC !!!

also keep in mind, that with a pair of genies you get always the same quailty, the production philosophy is the same as neumann or schoeps mics, bar none... about 80% of the produced parts end up in the rubbish bin, not beeing good enough (tolerance level) for being used in a genelec monitor...

that has it's price, but you get consistency... bar none.

adams are notorius for being a hit and miss, it can (not saying it does often, but there are to many known cases) happen that not even a pair is even... that sucks.
*** Image GAFM ***

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:59 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Rave wrote:...Remind me please, which part of the speaker should be at ear level?
Specifically, the centre of the tweeters not the woofers, right?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:05 pm

8O wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
Rave wrote:...Remind me please, which part of the speaker should be at ear level?
Specifically, the centre of the tweeters not the woofers, right?
vertically is the spot between the high frequency and the bass cone...

the blue arrow has to hit your ear.

[/url]http://www.genelec.com/learning-center/ ... dspeakers/[url]
Last edited by SubFunk on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*** Image GAFM ***