The Automap 3 Mixer Control petition for Live 8

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
braincell

Re: The Automap 3 Mixer Control petition for Live 8

Post by braincell » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:06 pm

I am on it, would be nice to have ableton under automap control !
please got for it abletons....

http://www.solarspectrum.ch
http://www.braincell-studios.net
http://www.noizebusters.ch

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:48 am

I just purchased a Novation Remote Zero sl, and from these posts, I understand that the controller is crippled some how (I'm reading documentation, but am still not completely sure what it is missing)

Does it mean one can't control mixer functions and VST mapping in Live with the Novation at the same time?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:40 am

Buleriachk wrote:I just purchased a Novation Remote Zero sl, and from these posts, I understand that the controller is crippled some how (I'm reading documentation, but am still not completely sure what it is missing)

Does it mean one can't control mixer functions and VST mapping in Live with the Novation at the same time?
yeah that's the problem, along with a few other things.... that's the major one though.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Just got a response from Ableton t/s saying Automap has been included in Live since Version ???
Or is the distinction Automap Universal?
Machinesworking wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:I just purchased a Novation Remote Zero sl, and from these posts, I understand that the controller is crippled some how (I'm reading documentation, but am still not completely sure what it is missing)

yeah that's the problem, along with a few other things.... that's the major one though.

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:38 pm

can you quote your question and their response?

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:43 pm

baseinstinct wrote:can you quote your question and their response?
Original Question:
============================================
>So I've ordered a Novation Remote Zero SL as a controller, but have heard
>that Live doesn't support the Novation Automap feature or HUI for Live. Is
>that true, or am I missing something?
>
>If the above is true, is there any chance that Live will support Automap for
>Novation mixer mode, so we won't have to switch modes?
>
>Is there any hope for the Novation?
=================================================
Ableton's Response:

Hi Chuck,

the information is wrong: Novation´s automapping will still be supported just like with Live 7. There´s also still an Ableton template that gives you instant control over Live´s mixer section and Live´s instant mapping features as well (like in Live 6 and Live 7).

============================================

I have written Ableton again referring to this thread, asking about the issue to which you are referring....

Chuck

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Buleriachk wrote:Just got a response from Ableton t/s saying Automap has been included in Live since Version ???
Or is the distinction Automap Universal?
Machinesworking wrote:

Live supports Automap Universal, but not for Live's mixer at the same time. In order to have the sliders mapped to the mixer, you have to use the Live template instead of the Automap Universal template. Yet Live's template does not support Automapped plug ins.
The mediocre at best solution is to rack a plug in with your favorite 8 parameters mapped, then save in Live's browser. Live will then map those 8 to the top eight knobs on the left when in the Live template..... leaving the rest to be assigned by hand etc.

Basically if you want to use the Automapped plug ins you're jumping back and forth between the two templates. Cubase fully supports Automap Universal and does not require it's own template.

Feel free to copy paste this to the support guy you're emailing and maybe save some email tag goofiness. :?

DJ RAY

Post by DJ RAY » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:35 am

Exactly as above. To further clarify, what we are talking about (as is mentioned in the topic header) is Automap 3 Mixer control. This feature allows the user to control not just VSTis and FX but basically turns Live into an Automappable VST instrument where things like Mixer faders, panning pots, native Live effects and more can be mapped on the fly and then saved as a default template for future sessions. The Automap template that Ableton is referring to is the 'old' one included in the Remote series which does indeed offer mixer fader and navigation control, but everything else is rather stupidly assigned to the topmost rotary encoders. Clicking on a Live instrument or any other VST instrument or effect assigns its parameters to the top most row in seemingly arbitrary fashion. This template cannot be easily edited. The lower panel of knobs, which would be more practical for things like panning and plug-in control do not work. Crucially, Automap3 itself will not work, since your Novation has to be in Automap Universal mode if you want to control VSTis which thus renders the faders useless. If you have one Novation device you have to choose between either having your unit in Automap Universal mode or Live mode. Not both. Incorporating mixer control would remove this artificial limitation.

As mentioned above Cubase supports Automap Mixer Control and so do Tracktion and Reaper. This is a serious feature that can benefit everybody. Automap 3 is really a revelation in plug-in control and should absolutely be incorporated into Live 8.

DJ RAY

Post by DJ RAY » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:45 am

baseinstinct wrote:
DJ RAY wrote:From Novation Tech Support: "All the automap sequencer templates (Reason, Ableton, Logic etc.) were built by the DAW manufacturers themselves. We at Novation hope to work together with Ableton in the future to develop the Live template, but it is not really something we can complete single handed. We do require a certain amount of input from Ableton themselves."
It changes a great deal. Now, how can we organize ourselves so that efforts do get result?
I mean, do can we do anything more than this obligatory bumping.

BUMP
Good point mate. I say we send emails to Ableton requesting this feature and telling them why it's a common sense idea that one of their god-like programmers could whip up in half a day's work.

spanda

Post by spanda » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:53 pm

All angles of approach are worth pushing...

Such a well matched combination of software and controller I'm sure we will get it soon, please ?

Bump and 3 more votes :-)
http://www.spanda.com.au
http://www.maclifesaver.com.au
http://www.liveelectronic.com.au

Mac OSX 10.6.4
ADAM S2.5A/SUB12
Mac Pro 2.8x8/ Macbook
Virus Ti
Novation 0 SLII
Kore 2, Komplete 6
Fireface 800
More Green, Blue, Red, Grey and Silver stuff.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:31 pm

I have a Korg PadKontrol with the NativeKontrol nanolive software (one of the best $20 I have spent to date). It works great for the mixer. My Novation Remote Zero arrives today, and NK says they will work together. Until Ableton/Novation get it together, I'm hoping this will be a solution - using the PadKontrol for the Mixer and the Novation for the VST's ....

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:37 am

+1000000000000

allanaceflyer

Post by allanaceflyer » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:38 am

yes they work great as team
I mix with the zero[template 40] and assignig all spare pots buttons to tempo fxs master vol etc pads 1st 8 scenes
nk is fast and great drives live cutting out lots and lots of keyboard work[still got to name things]
automap temp 40 is a bit fixed on its own

DJ RAY

Post by DJ RAY » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Has anyone emailed and heard back from Ableton yet?