Think NI will make a DJ controller?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Think NI will make a DJ controller?

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:29 am

Without seeing their sales figures I would think that Traktor is one of NI's top selling items. Not everybody wants to produce music but everybody wants to be a DJ, except you, the few a-holes that will chime in with "I don't want to DJ".

So they made Kore for synths and Maschine for drums. The obvious next move would be to make a dedicated controller for Traktor. There's a serious lack of 4 deck MID controllers (name any and I'll tell you where they fail) unless you want to do shift A/B/C/D bullshit or drop 2k on something like a lemur or xone 3/4d.

Big bonus points if they use the technology in Maschine with the double LCD displays for browsing tracks and displaying waveforms. Big BOO if they release one with just a 2 deck layout which there are already enough of.

???

Tone Deft

Re: Think NI will make a DJ controller?

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:33 am

I don't want to DJ.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

condra

Post by condra » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:12 am

Funny I was just thinking about AKAI and Ableton making something to rival Maschine. I suppose it makes sense that they might do something for that DJ app thing they have.

What I wanna know is - when are Novation going to do a Remote Zero with a crossfader and decent drum pads? And when are Korg going to do the PK2?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:15 am

I want to DJ.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

condra

Post by condra » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:25 am

lol

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:54 am

I don't want to DJ.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:20 am

condra wrote:Funny I was just thinking about AKAI and Ableton making something to rival Maschine. I suppose it makes sense that they might do something for that DJ app thing they have.

What I wanna know is - when are Novation going to do a Remote Zero with a crossfader and decent drum pads? And when are Korg going to do the PK2?
I don't see Akai and Ableton trying to do anything to rival maschine, it would be underwhelming given what they already have with Live and the APC40. I don't see the Serato collaboration producing a specific controller either. I think the APC40 will be just as good for DJing with Live as it will be live PA work.

But there's plenty of us who don't like Live for DJing but that conversation has been done to death.

...and now I believe Tone wants to DJ again.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:14 am

I've yet to even be in the presence of any NI controllers, but will say their Audio 8 has probably spoiled me in my needs and wants. I play tunes thru Traktor using the VCI 100. I've also not gotten too crazy in the whole remixing music live, and much prefer to just play quality tunes that speak for themselves. On all that, plus what I've seen and read, I bet NI could probably come up with something really nice...

If I have one problem with anything so far, it's the whole "software takeover" feature... Maybe I need endless knobs to correct my issue...

What's going on is that some times I make changes with the mouse or thru key commands, changes that I can also make with the VCI, but um... Yeah, the buttons aren't motorized so ummm... How do I say this? Later on when I want to move said knob, the software might take a sudden jump because the controller told the software I wasn't really where it said I was... Or something like that...

Besides that slopfest of whatever, I'ma have to say that my combo is excellent, close to perfect.

I'm now imagining a bit what could be should this "controller by NI" be something like, or better than what Maschine looks like... I can't... Maybe I have no vision...

I dunno... I'm just thinking this thing would probably kick loads of ass and that's all there is to it. These "controllers", maybe not just an NI, but someone who gave enough of a poop, or just can shit properly (not shitting outside the bowl), well...

Wow...

I never would of ever tried to DJ if it wasn't for software. I'm happy to think that things are always changing, and usually for the better.

:arrow:
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:44 am

i love mixing records. serrato is fun and djing with live is cool too. ni needs to stick to software. they suck less at that

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:18 am

weeddigger wrote:I've yet to even be in the presence of any NI controllers, but will say their Audio 8 has probably spoiled me in my needs and wants. I play tunes thru Traktor using the VCI 100. I've also not gotten too crazy in the whole remixing music live, and much prefer to just play quality tunes that speak for themselves. On all that, plus what I've seen and read, I bet NI could probably come up with something really nice...

If I have one problem with anything so far, it's the whole "software takeover" feature... Maybe I need endless knobs to correct my issue...

What's going on is that some times I make changes with the mouse or thru key commands, changes that I can also make with the VCI, but um... Yeah, the buttons aren't motorized so ummm... How do I say this? Later on when I want to move said knob, the software might take a sudden jump because the controller told the software I wasn't really where it said I was... Or something like that...

Besides that slopfest of whatever, I'ma have to say that my combo is excellent, close to perfect.

I'm now imagining a bit what could be should this "controller by NI" be something like, or better than what Maschine looks like... I can't... Maybe I have no vision...

I dunno... I'm just thinking this thing would probably kick loads of ass and that's all there is to it. These "controllers", maybe not just an NI, but someone who gave enough of a poop, or just can shit properly (not shitting outside the bowl), well...

Wow...

I never would of ever tried to DJ if it wasn't for software. I'm happy to think that things are always changing, and usually for the better.

:arrow:
If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend checking out http://www.djtechtools.com They do some amazing things with the VCI100 and Traktor combo. They've almost convinced me it's THE controller to go with that's out right now. My problem is they use and even sell so many mods, firmware upgrades, and custom models of the VCI100 on the site that I wonder if just a base model would work with what they have going on. I'll probably ask that question on their forum. Also their firmware upgrade they sell might help fix the problem you are describing.

I don't know if you've used 4 decks at a time on Traktor but it can be a lot of creative fun. My problem with current DJ controllers is they only let you have control over 2 decks at a time and I want access to all 4 all at once. Also I want jogwheels (although only 2 of those might do the trick).

As far as "NI shouldn't make hardware and should stick to software", I think they are making great progress with each new release. A lot of people complained about Kore 1 (never had it) but say Kore 2 was a great improvement, although some say it's unnecessary. From all reports Maschine is a great piece of hardware and the shortcomings are on the software side. I think NI could be quite successful with a DJ controller.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:37 am

You should check Hercules Steel.I can control everything I want,including all 4 decks with FX, loops etc. and still have lots of "space" for more control. I used template from Hercules site as starter but change it to my needs and keep adding.
While faderfox is definitely more portable I would miss the LEDs.
Had even situation live that mouse/touchpad froze (Vista of course), wouldnt react at all but was able to continue set using only midi. Since then I dont bother anymore to use mouse or keyboard (and got another notebook with XP for performing).
I tried using Faderfoxes, Novation SL and MPD 32 before but it wasnt as good.
I dont care what people think, or if I would look like checking E mails, first of all using mouse/keyboards for DJing or playing is simply too slow and too lame for me. Better controller, more fun, better mood and if I can enjoy it the public will. If there comes better controller, specially made by NI I would definitely get it, anything that cuts the time from idea in my head to applying it, is worth paying for.

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:34 am

i want to dj but without computer (actually i do)
tracktor has already a dj controller with vinyls and cds...

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:48 pm

Beats meh,

I feel you with the whole two decks only thing w/ Traktor. But, one controller with 4 platters? Where are you gonna fit that in a standard club booth? I think they just need to enable the software to be controlled by 4 decks or CD players at once. Or two of each at once. Most clubs have 2 of each and that would be perfect and less crap to haul to the gig.

@Tone. :lol: (Hippies can't beat match)

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:57 pm

DJTechTools... Fucking awesome site. I once said I would mod my controller and go at some controllerism, but um... Yeah, that's a lot of work!!!

I don't think I really care so much for learning that art, when really, all I want is to hear good music. Hot chicks dancing around are a definite plus, but I don't give a shit if the DJ can juggle, blow smoke, blow up, or whatever... Just play good fucking tunes and I'll be on it, whether I'm on it or not. I don't even enjoy mixing that much, I mostly mix for the end result.
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:04 pm

ChiDJ wrote:Beats meh,

I feel you with the whole two decks only thing w/ Traktor. But, one controller with 4 platters? Where are you gonna fit that in a standard club booth? I think they just need to enable the software to be controlled by 4 decks or CD players at once. Or two of each at once. Most clubs have 2 of each and that would be perfect and less crap to haul to the gig.

@Tone. :lol: (Hippies can't beat match)

Tod
I agree 4 platters/jogwheels would be silly. I'm talking more like a Xone 3/4D mixer where it has 2 wheels but faders, eq, and effects controls for 4 decks.