[amo] Please put this Live PC feature into the Mac version

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:45 am

The reason it's not snapping is that [command] is the modifier that temporarily disables snapping in the arrange in Live 8. That is consistent with [command]'s use as the overall "Finer Resolution for Dragging" modifier. Does the PC version use [ctrl] for both disabling snapping AND selecting portions of a clip on an unfolded track?
Unsound Designer

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:57 am

Yep, you're right! I forgot that CMD disables snapping in Live 8 in the arrange view which of course makes implementing this feature a problem. In Live 7 CMD does not disable snap in the arrange view.

On the PC side CTRL copies the clip, basically the Option key on the Mac. I will have to check if ALT on the PC in Live 8 temporarily disables snapping in the arrange view as well. I absolutely love the select feature using ALT on the PC in Live 7, it makes editing super fast!!! I'd actually prefer the select without having to unfold over temporarily disabling snapping, I can press CMD+4 to disable the grid even though then I am somewhat contradicting myself in terms of consistency in Live since in the MIDI editor it's always been that way. :)

It's a no win situation!

Ken

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 pm

Just confirmed, ALT on the PC does temporarily disable the snapping in the Arrange View in Live 8 now. What a bummer, this completely destroys another one of my favorite features! :(

Then at least give me a global key command to unfold a selected track (the "-->" key only works if the actual track is highlighted only, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of having a key command in the first place).

Anyway, I have to admit the new Live 8 features as to how snapping is smart now is really a huge personal workflow killer! :(

Ken

PS: The only way I get this function to behave on the PC like it did in Live 7 is to disable the grid by pressing ALT+4, because when holding ALT then it actually temporarily enables the grid again. So, even then it still works better on the PC than it does on the Mac.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:48 am

you can click-drag right near the very bottom of the folded clip to select an area. no need to unfold. it's been possible since it at least v6. it is very fiddly though. a modifier key would be much less smash-the-mouse-into-the-desk infuriating.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:12 am

garyboozy wrote:you can click-drag right near the very bottom of the folded clip to select an area. no need to unfold. it's been possible since it at least v6. it is very fiddly though. a modifier key would be much less smash-the-mouse-into-the-desk infuriating.
I know, but it's very fiddly and I almost never get it to work... It should be easier, like pressing ALT and drag. ;)

Ken

kenporter

Re: [amo] Please put this Live PC feature into the Mac version

Post by kenporter » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:19 am

Bump. :P

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:49 pm

I would just like to mention that you guys are AWESOME!!!! Thanks for implementing this. It's still a little fiddly, but with a little tweaking this is going to rock! Thanks Amaury and the rest of Ableton!!!! I am excited! :)

Ken

Amaury

Re:

Post by Amaury » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:22 am

kenporter wrote:I was just comparing this function between Live 7 and Live 8. In Live 7 it at least did snap to a grid, where in Live 8 it doesn't always snap to the grid even though, snap to grid is enabled!!!! Also, this function was less crippled in Live 7 than it is in Live 8 since one could start a selection and then either drag the beginning marker or the end marker to the correct position. The way it works on the PC is the way it should work on the Mac too, it's that simple! :)

Ken
Hi,

In beta 22, the feature is accessible on the Mac using ALT SHIFT, and, using this feature on PC or Mac, the selection always snaps to grid.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:48 pm

I take that back, it's not fiddly. I was clicking in the lower half of the folded clip which works too but isn't the way you have implemented it then. SHIFT+ALT works awesome!! Thanks so much for adding this! This is such a cool feature, I am excited! :)

Ken

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi,

I moved the topic to "done", as it is, well, done.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team