What's the Concensus on Apple Bluetooth wireless keyboards ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

What's the Concensus on Apple Bluetooth wireless keyboards ?

Post by starving student » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:50 am

is your system taking a hit when using one and working on music or is the bluetooth no more a problem?

Tarekith

Re: What's the Concensus on Apple Bluetooth wireless keyboards ?

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:44 am

Never notice a single issue with mine, the MBP worked just like it did before I got it. Great piece of gear though, especially for people like me who like to stick a piece o hardware right in front of my desk. I don't need t unplug my keyboard anymore to move it out of the way.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:25 am

Mine eats batteries, but performance has never been an issue, ever - never failed me once. Turn it off when you're done, should be fine.

SpaceDub Productions BC

Post by SpaceDub Productions BC » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:49 am

I've owned mine for a year, never turned it off manually I use Dynex rechargables, only taken them out twice to charge ..... yours must be effed if its a batt gobbler

on topic.... yes its a great piece of gear, I turn it sideways for Live and use it as a 4 channel clip launcher ! colour coded with some coloured min price tags
Hidden Music Festival 2010, Kelowna B.C. Canada, June 11-13
www.Hidden2010.com

Allan A.Live

Post by Allan A.Live » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:37 am

I turned back to a keyboard with a cable on mbp.

It was eating too much batteries, and they always gone empty on weekends. Furthermore there is no more numeric keypad on the new wireless ones from apple,...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:06 pm

You guys go through batteries that fast? I've had mine for 10 months now and only had to change batteries once.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:33 pm

Yeah, I don't get it either, but I use rechargeables, so it never really bothered me. Maybe my rechargeables are on the way out - I do use them until they are dead every time.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:44 pm

As I posted only a few days ago -March 18 (Search IS your best friend! :D ) in this thread:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... =bluetooth

Big Problems...

I have the previous generation MacBook Pro 2.5GHz running the latest OS & updates. I bought one of the thin Apple bluetooth keyboards (without the number pad), & have had nothing but problems with the signal disconnecting. My laptop is in the same room as the keyboard, no more than 7 feet away with no metal barrier between them.

In my troubleshooting I went to the Apple forums where I found a number of people reporting the same problem. I tried all the recommended fixes, & none helped. I even had Apple send me a replacement keyboard in the hope that it might have been defective, but I have the same problems.

I finally attached my old wired keyboard, & am storing the bluetooth one until the next major OS X update (or Apple cops to a problem & offers a real fix).

I believe it is a hardware/software issue that could be cleared up any day -or not. crApple is mute on the subject.

It may be the bluetooth in my laptop, but with so many people reporting the same problem it makes me wonder about that. Of course they could have made a bunch of laptops that all have the same problem with their hardware, but no one on the Apple forums have reporting this avenue being explored, or of having had repairs of their laptops to fix the problem.

Buyer beware... For now anyway.

I didn't really notice any latency issues, but I didn't use the keyboard extensively as a Live controller either.

SpaceDub Productions BC

Post by SpaceDub Productions BC » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:54 pm

I use mine all over my house to control iTunes, i have owned 2 of the numberless BT keyboards and never had any problems with either of them, to bad yours isn't on par, they are great little devices !
Hidden Music Festival 2010, Kelowna B.C. Canada, June 11-13
www.Hidden2010.com

BongoBennie

Post by BongoBennie » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:33 pm

I love mine to death, the first set of batteries died pretty quick to the point were I said "wow, that was quick", but now, I its been at least 6 months since a battery change....... I love my BT keyboard and mouse!!!!
lights, drums, techno

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:01 am

well i've got a blacbook 2.0ghz c2duo original, I wonder if it will be a problem. I know a while back folks were taking a hit because of the wireless built in modems and I thought it was because of the blue tooth too so I disabled both of mine and I got noticeable boost after I disabled them, but I'd really like to get one of those keyboards.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:59 am

Are you mainly interested in it because it's bluetooth, or because of its form/size? The reason I ask is because Apple recently released a wired keyboard in the same form as the bluetooth one. Very sleek, no number pads, & it has something the bluetooth one doesn't have: 2 USB ports. Unfortunately, the USB ports are located on the sides of the keyboard, & which somewhat diminishes the benefits of its small size...

I will probably get one if the bluetooth issues I am having aren't fixed (by one way or another) soon.

I am heartened to hear that the bluetooth keyboard is working fine for some folks. Guess I'll have to take my computer into an Apple store & have them check it out.