Can you use Logic (and/or Garageband) Loops in Ableton Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
duncinder

Can you use Logic (and/or Garageband) Loops in Ableton Live?

Post by duncinder » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:47 pm

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but I'm losing the will to live here in t'internet land.
Simple question - can Loops from Logic Studio be imported or used in Ableton?
I have a mac running Logic Studio and Live 7 - love to mess with Live 7 and get basic compositions down before bouncing them across to Logic for mastering them and adding some subtle sound affects etc.
But what I'd really like to do is to use the Logic Loops supplied with Logic Studio in Live - is it possible?
If so how?
cheers

glitchrock-buddha

Re: Can you use Logic (and/or Garageband) Loops in Ableton Live?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:17 pm

Unfortunately CAF files don't work in ableton. Actually I'm surprised it's not something they've added in Live 8. Maybe I'll go request that. I already requested that in the wishlist forum forum though.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Darwinist

Post by Darwinist » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:37 pm

Can competitors offer support for someone else's format without their permission? This is something I´ve always been curious about. Do companies like Ableton need to cut some kind of licensing deal with Propellerheads for instance if they want to offer native support for REX loops?

Perhapls Apple has no interest in allowing other DAW's to make use of the CAF format?

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:39 am

Pretty certain CAF is an open format, but even if it isn't it doesn't matter anyway as support for it would be handled the same way as AAC / Apple Lossless (and probably other formats) - through QuickTime. I've already raised this and it ain't going to happen in Live 8.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:33 am

Darwinist wrote:Can competitors offer support for someone else's format without their permission? This is something I´ve always been curious about. Do companies like Ableton need to cut some kind of licensing deal with Propellerheads for instance if they want to offer native support for REX loops?

Perhapls Apple has no interest in allowing other DAW's to make use of the CAF format?
Pretty sure CAF is supported in Traction, and very definitely Traction supports Apple Loops. Why Live doesn't I'm not sure. Not a huge deal to me, but it would be nice if I could slice in Logic or Live, and have them work.