autofade with keyhit (theatrical sound)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kipling

autofade with keyhit (theatrical sound)

Post by kipling » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:32 pm

I have to do the sound next weekend for a community Shakespeare play. I would like to have an audioclip looping and then with a key stroke, fade that clip out and with another keystroke fade up a different audioclip. I guess the volumes can all be down and the keyhit can trigger the fades in and out...I don't know if it is necessary for the clip to stop or start with the keyhit, but that would be great if it was possible.

Thanks for any help. I had asked about this a long time ago, but I still haven't figured out how to actually to it.

Best,
Kip
Mac OS X 10.5.4 | 4 GB RAM |_Ableton 8.0b16 | MacBook 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo | Edirol AudioCapture UA-25 interface | Alesis Photon X25

kipling

Re: autofade with keyhit (theatrical sound)

Post by kipling » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:40 pm

I have been looking through the manual, and can easily find how to do this within the Arrangement view, but I want to have it done in Session view, in a "live" situation...just to clarify.
Mac OS X 10.5.4 | 4 GB RAM |_Ableton 8.0b16 | MacBook 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo | Edirol AudioCapture UA-25 interface | Alesis Photon X25

kipling

Post by kipling » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:59 pm

I'm really sorry to be answering my own questions as I go along, but I did find out in the manual, page 267:
19.5.1 Programming a Fade-Out for a Live Set.
I can get the loop to fade out, but I can't seem to figure out how to assign a keyhit (as in the computer keyboard) to do the fade out.

I think it may work if I send the audio to a dummy clip that only has an envelope, and trigger the fade out that way, although it doesn't seem like it would be practical to do this for fade ins and fade outs...suppose I want to use the same clip again that I was originally playing...I'd have to reassign it to a dummy fade-in?

I wish I could understand this easier.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:36 am

hey, i'm not quite answering your question, but i thought i'd point you to this in case you haven't bumped into it yet:
http://figure53.com/qlab/

the basic functionality is free, then there are extras that you have to pay for...

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:39 am

Kipling, you can do this with dummy clips.
Here are a couple videos about dummy clips: http://www.loveableton.com/archives/50

kipling

Post by kipling » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:12 pm

fishmonkey:
yes, after becoming completely frustrated with trying to get something as simple as an automated fade with a button, i found qlab, which is made specifically for theatre cues, and works flawlessly.

anamexis:
here is the problem with dummy clips: i can assign as many clips to the one dummy clip, and it will fade out alright...then when i want to fade the same clip in again, i would have to reassign the clip to a dummy fadeout clip. when you start working with more than two cues that you just want to fade in and fade out...well, you can see the dilemma.

it is easy if you aren't working with loops in a "live" performance setting...you can set the fades in the arrangement view. the problem lies in when you want to work from the session view.

?question? can a keyhit be assigned to a midi fade that would effect the fader on a session audio channel?

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:17 pm

a few toughts: this would be easy with any midicontroller so that you can assign a knob to the channel Fader. Perhaps a nanokontrol for 50$ would be enough.

If you want to do Fades Live, don t forget the crossfader - can be very handy not only for DJ things. I forget about it all the Time.

If you want to do it the quick & dirty way, you could just trigger a Loop and then click on the channel Fader and then use the arrow-keys on your Computerkeyboard to change the volume

Instead of Session view, you could use the arrangement view, ad Markers and jump to them with keystrokes (this could be a good solution i think)

You could achieve what you want in Sessionview also: for fade ins: the clip start and the start of the looping part can be different, so you can create a longer clip, for example 8 Bars. Let just the last 4 bars Loop and use the clipenvelopes to create a fade in durin the first 4 Bars.
Fade out: Just make a new clip of the same audio and create a fade out on this. Use a keystroke to start the second clip.
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica

kipling

Post by kipling » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:04 am

Dr Dub wrote: You could achieve what you want in Sessionview also: for fade ins: the clip start and the start of the looping part can be different, so you can create a longer clip, for example 8 Bars. Let just the last 4 bars Loop and use the clipenvelopes to create a fade in durin the first 4 Bars.
Fade out: Just make a new clip of the same audio and create a fade out on this. Use a keystroke to start the second clip.
hi dr. dub,
this might work! at least for the fade-in, i can just duplicate the loop once and paste it before the looped loop...so that can be triggered by the keyhit. can a
"follow action" be triggered by a keyhit? what could make the loop play another duplicate copy of the loop after the looped part that could have a fade-out envelope on it? i.e. have it all in one clip...there would have to be a way to stop the loop looping and to just playthrough...

anyone have any thoughts on this?

onek

Post by onek » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:11 am

have a look at this thread, there is a picture lower down that shows dummy clips in action. you should be able to do an automated fadeup with another pair of tracks in the same scene.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58490

kipling

Post by kipling » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:58 pm

onek wrote:have a look at this thread, there is a picture lower down that shows dummy clips in action. you should be able to do an automated fadeup with another pair of tracks in the same scene.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58490
thanks onek!

it seems to me this will work. i'll have to set it up. so for every pair of channels, you can set up dummy clips to fade one clip up and down. so if you want to play more than one clip at a time, you would just make more pairs. i think what confused me previously, was that i had the fade-out on the same scene as the clip i wanted to fade.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Why not have one clip with the audio playing and looping, then under it a clip with same audio with an enevelope that fades the audio out, assign a key to trigger that clip.

Then for fade in of another clip, have one clip with an envelope that fades the audio in and use a follow action to drop it down to the next clip with the audio looping.

All you have to do then is assign keys to launch the appropriate clips no?