Alternate ways to record tempo changes as song is playing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MusicManic

Alternate ways to record tempo changes as song is playing?

Post by MusicManic » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:09 am

I Midi-mapped the pitch-bend of my keyboard to the tempo field in Live 7. It works, but how do you record the changes while playing the song? I know about editing the tempo envelope on the Master track with breakpoints or the draw tool, but I'd like to edit this envelope in real time with a knob(which I don't have) or the pitchbend.
Thanks,
Jeff

six_o_clock_crow
Location: Portsmouth: small town near Havant & Waterlooville, UK

Re: Alternate ways to record tempo changes as song is playing?

Post by six_o_clock_crow » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:50 pm

Unless I am missing something, all you need to do is record your pitch wheel tweakings as automation. Isn't it?

If you map the pitch wheel (or a knob or other MIDI controller) to the tempo field, then hit record, your movements/tempo changes will be recorded as automation in the arrangement view.

When you play the song back the tempo will follow your recorded movements.

You can always go in and edit the breakpoints later.

Unless I'm missing something in your question?
HARDWARE:
Vaio laptop / M-Audio Transit / Zoom H2 /
Alesis M1 Active 520's / Sennheiser EH2200's
Behringer BCR2000 / misc. instruments & toys

SOFTWARE:
Live 7 / Sound Forge Audio Studio

MusicManic

Post by MusicManic » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:10 pm

six_o_clock_crow wrote:Unless I am missing something, all you need to do is record your pitch wheel tweakings as automation. Isn't it?
If you map the pitch wheel (or a knob or other MIDI controller) to the tempo field, then hit record, your movements/tempo changes will be recorded as automation in the arrangement view.
When you play the song back the tempo will follow your recorded movements.
I think that's what I did, but it doesn't seem to record the automation. I mapped the pitch bend to the tempo field, which allows me to change the tempo while the song is playing or while a part is being recorded, but the envelope in the master track stays a single solid line that just goes up and down as I change the tempo. The line doesn't add breaks or curves.

Is there an automation record setting that I'm missing somewhere or is it like levimoniz says, that live 7 doesn't have this capability?

Thanks,
Jeff

MusicManic

Post by MusicManic » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:40 pm

Okay. It's not a huge problem. I'll work around it.
Thanks