[OT] Any Renoise users here?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
six_o_clock_crow
Location: Portsmouth: small town near Havant & Waterlooville, UK

[OT] Any Renoise users here?

Post by six_o_clock_crow » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:03 pm

This weekend I have rediscovered my love for Renoise. I stopped using it once I upgraded from Live Lite to the full Live 7.

Recently, I've been desiring a Machinedrum for some convenient beat making. But of course Renoise, like any tracker, is optimised for working with a computer/laptop. And this weekend I've been rediscovering how quickly I can work with Renoise, how twisted I can make stuff sound with it. And of course I can import the loops I make into Live for further mangling.

Anyways, I just wondered who else is using Renoise and how you find it? Also, anyone using version 2? Haven't upgraded yet but I'm not sure exactly how thw improvements will benefit me.
HARDWARE:
Vaio laptop / M-Audio Transit / Zoom H2 /
Alesis M1 Active 520's / Sennheiser EH2200's
Behringer BCR2000 / misc. instruments & toys

SOFTWARE:
Live 7 / Sound Forge Audio Studio

logic_user99

Re: [OT] Any Renoise users here?

Post by logic_user99 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:15 pm

I've got it on my laptop, but I haven't properly 'got into it' as of yet. I had a massive 'Venetian Snares' phase a year or so back, and went head-long into the world of trackers; some of the simple stuff you can do with sample start time etc is fantastic.

I might give it another go now you've mentioned it...
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:38 pm

funny, i downloaded the most recent version last week. i was told i (might) need to learn my way around some tracker software for a video game project. i was a little bit shocked at how different the flow is. . seems like it might take a while to get used to .

if anyone has any tips...?

six_o_clock_crow
Location: Portsmouth: small town near Havant & Waterlooville, UK

Post by six_o_clock_crow » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:04 am

swishniak wrote:funny, i downloaded the most recent version last week. i was told i (might) need to learn my way around some tracker software for a video game project. i was a little bit shocked at how different the flow is. . seems like it might take a while to get used to .

if anyone has any tips...?
In all seriousness, I would print out the keyboard commands and learn as many as possible.

You can do so much from just the QWERTY keyboard in Renoise. Force yourself to navigate the programme without the mouse. It's a learning curve, but it helps you to work so quickly in the long run. This is why I love using Renoise on a laptop: you just need the laptop, audio interface and headphones to make some sounds.

The other thing to learn is the pattern effect commands. This is the feature that makes trackers pretty unique.

Also bear in mind that while you can use soft synths in Renoise, trackers were originally designed to work with audio samples. As such, there are lots of ways of shaping and messing with audio.

A favourite thing of mine is the 'render selection to new sample' command. This allows you to very quickly render a selected part of your song or an individual track, and have it available as a sample for further processing. So much fun to keep doing this because you quickly take your original ideas and turn them into something completely different. I'm probably not explaining myself too well, but trust me it is fun :D
HARDWARE:
Vaio laptop / M-Audio Transit / Zoom H2 /
Alesis M1 Active 520's / Sennheiser EH2200's
Behringer BCR2000 / misc. instruments & toys

SOFTWARE:
Live 7 / Sound Forge Audio Studio

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:58 am

I'd be really interested to hear some of the stuff you've got going on, six. Maybe we could have a 'track-off' of sorts with fixed sample pack or something...?

:lol:
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:01 pm

I never realized how much trackers were oriented toward sample-manipulation (I have very little experience with them). Sample start-time is my desert island parameter, so maybe I should check this stuff out.

ghostly

Post by ghostly » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:54 am

I am a Renoise user of sorts although like you not been able to spend that much time with it (my main sequencer is Logic and I am just trying out other sequencers for inspiration purposes). There are some youtube tutorials on beat making that blew me away, the workflow is incredibly swift.