Looping a La Richie Hawtin

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Yeeeehaaaa7

Looping a La Richie Hawtin

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi All,

Is there any way to use Live 7 to control loops in a similar way to hawtin does with Traktor?

I prefer using Live when DJing, but miss the looping of Traktor. I don't to be carrying 2 laptops around with me as not too many DJ booths have enough room for 1!

Thanks,
Kenny

Da hand

Re: Looping a La Richie Hawtin

Post by Da hand » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:31 am

Read up on clips and loops in the manual.

Basically import a song into a clip with proper warping. Create a loop in that clip. Copy the clip. In clip 2 create another loop...and so on. Now you can jump between loops in the same song by playing the clips you just set up. Works way better than Traktor.

Is this what you want to do? It is hard to tell from your question.

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:55 am

Da hand wrote:Read up on clips and loops in the manual.

Basically import a song into a clip with proper warping. Create a loop in that clip. Copy the clip. In clip 2 create another loop...and so on. Now you can jump between loops in the same song by playing the clips you just set up. Works way better than Traktor.

Is this what you want to do? It is hard to tell from your question.
I had a read through the manual and had a wee play about with what you advised above and it does work, but I was hoping to more 'on the fly' looping, such as just deciding mid-set to loop the current track at the touch of a button, if that makes more sense

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:00 pm

Yeeeehaaaa7 wrote: I had a read through the manual and had a wee play about with what you advised above and it does work, but I was hoping to more 'on the fly' looping, such as just deciding mid-set to loop the current track at the touch of a button, if that makes more sense
Use the 'Set' button on your clip's loop control. Apparently that'll do something akin to what you desire... Never tried it me'sen, but I thought I'd get in there before anyone else says it!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:20 pm

logic_user99 wrote:
Yeeeehaaaa7 wrote: I had a read through the manual and had a wee play about with what you advised above and it does work, but I was hoping to more 'on the fly' looping, such as just deciding mid-set to loop the current track at the touch of a button, if that makes more sense
Use the 'Set' button on your clip's loop control. Apparently that'll do something akin to what you desire... Never tried it me'sen, but I thought I'd get in there before anyone else says it!
does that not just set the actual loop? By that I mean I could set a loop to start on the 32nd bar for 2 bars but then how would I be able to just start a loop mid track by pressing a button?

de wouzer

Post by de wouzer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:35 pm

my opinion is not too positive
I think traktor is way more flexible when we talk about live looping
the looping functionality in ableton is very good... but not the same as the traktor way...
I think for that hawtin uses traktor for that.
He uses ableton for extra effects (maybe not anymore since traktor pro became very good with effects... but no vst possibility)

so .... looping on the fly (without good preperation)
use traktor

it is possible to midi map the loop length, but this is very limited
macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gig ram, akai MPK 25, uc33e, apc40, ableton 8 suite, krk vx6, NI audio 8

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:51 pm

de wouzer wrote:my opinion is not too positive
the looping functionality in ableton is very good... but not the same as the traktor way...
He uses ableton for extra effects (maybe not anymore since traktor pro became very good with effects... but no vst possibility)

use traktor

cool, cheers! He does use traktor for looping etc and I was just wondering if I could do it through ableton as I prefer it to traktor.

Thanks anyway!

de wouzer

Post by de wouzer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Yeeeehaaaa7 wrote:
de wouzer wrote:my opinion is not too positive

use traktor

cool, cheers! He does use traktor for looping etc and I was just wondering if I could do it through ableton as I prefer it to traktor.

Thanks anyway!
your welcome

but

i hope someone can tell me that i am not right, and that there are really good ways to do this in ableton.

ableton is not made for djing, but people use it for djing (and it can be very nice to dj with)
macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gig ram, akai MPK 25, uc33e, apc40, ableton 8 suite, krk vx6, NI audio 8

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Well here's what I do

first I warp my songs

then I set the loop to be say 4 bars

then I MIDI map a knob to the loop "position" and Midi map a button to "Loop"

the Loop button will only work on a clip that is in "focus" meaning you can see the wave form at the bottom of the screen. ( I think Im sure about this, I only do one loop at a time on one track at a time just to be safe)

now you can move the knob and it will change where you can loop

Al of times I'll have the loop off and change the postion to where the song it playing, now turn the loop on and its looping turn the loop off and let the song play. now follow the point of play and you you can loop any part of the song in real time.

You can also move the know while the loop is on and it will move your point of play.

One thing though is sometimes to get the effect I desire I'll change the Loop "Length" with my mouse and suddenly do a "Command + Z" or undo. This is kind of fun you should try it. It can be hard to hit in a dark club but so it goes.

Also the the loop will only work when you get to the currently playing part of the song or before

For example say my loop is on at the end of the song. I can use the Knob to position the loop back to the beginning of the song. This will flash the song to the loop now move the loop back to the end the song, This will continue to play in the part of the song you were at before you changed the loop to the beginning of the song.

There is an excption, as long as you dont allow the start flag in the loop this will be true but, as soon as you allow the start flag in the loop the start flag will follow your loop and you can get a loop no matter where your Position is in the song but keep in mind your start flag has been moved and when you turn the loop off the start flag will stay where you left it. ( you might NOT want to save the set at this point )

Just play around and You'll easily see what I mean!

To achieve all this I use a mouse and keyboard along with my Midi Controller, I know alot of us are trying to go mouseless but for this stuff its nice to be able to have the exact controll over Live a mouse can give you

Thanks There ya have it, My Traktor-esk Loop sercets

Let me know how you do it!

Peace Alex
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:11 pm

Alextronica wrote:Well here's what I do

first I warp my songs

then I set the loop to be say 4 bars

then I MIDI map a knob to the loop "position" and Midi map a button to "Loop"

the Loop button will only work on a clip that is in "focus" meaning you can see the wave form at the bottom of the screen. ( I think Im sure about this, I only do one loop at a time on one track at a time just to be safe)

now you can move the knob and it will change where you can loop

Al of times I'll have the loop off and change the postion to where the song it playing, now turn the loop on and its looping turn the loop off and let the song play. now follow the point of play and you you can loop any part of the song in real time.

You can also move the know while the loop is on and it will move your point of play.

One thing though is sometimes to get the effect I desire I'll change the Loop "Length" with my mouse and suddenly do a "Command + Z" or undo. This is kind of fun you should try it. It can be hard to hit in a dark club but so it goes.

Also the the loop will only work when you get to the currently playing part of the song or before

For example say my loop is on at the end of the song. I can use the Knob to position the loop back to the beginning of the song. This will flash the song to the loop now move the loop back to the end the song, This will continue to play in the part of the song you were at before you changed the loop to the beginning of the song.

There is an excption, as long as you dont allow the start flag in the loop this will be true but, as soon as you allow the start flag in the loop the start flag will follow your loop and you can get a loop no matter where your Position is in the song but keep in mind your start flag has been moved and when you turn the loop off the start flag will stay where you left it. ( you might NOT want to save the set at this point )

Just play around and You'll easily see what I mean!

To achieve all this I use a mouse and keyboard along with my Midi Controller, I know alot of us are trying to go mouseless but for this stuff its nice to be able to have the exact controll over Live a mouse can give you

Thanks There ya have it, My Traktor-esk Loop sercets

Let me know how you do it!

Peace Alex
I'll give that abash tonight and let you know how it goes, seems interesting though

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:58 pm

logic_user99 wrote:
this actually works a treat and does exactly what I needed.

One quick thing also with looping, if I bring a loop slightly out of time, is there anyway that ableton can bring it back, by that I mean i shorten the loop to being next to nothing and when i release it it doesn't come out at the start of a bar. Is there anyway for ableton to stop this happening?

WmR

Post by WmR » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:01 pm

Doesn't Hawtin use a Xone 3d? This means he can set up all his sessions, loops, etc. in live and call them up at a whim with the 3d. I know he uses traktor as well, but you can do some pretty amazing things with Ableton and a Xone 3d and a good skill/knowledge set.

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:07 pm

WmR wrote:Doesn't Hawtin use a Xone 3d? This means he can set up all his sessions, loops, etc. in live and call them up at a whim with the 3d. I know he uses traktor as well, but you can do some pretty amazing things with Ableton and a Xone 3d and a good skill/knowledge set.
he uses traktor for looping etc and 2 1d's and an xone 92 or 62 normally (I'm not a stalker...) :lol:

WmR

Post by WmR » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:08 pm

Yeeeehaaaa7 wrote:
WmR wrote:Doesn't Hawtin use a Xone 3d? This means he can set up all his sessions, loops, etc. in live and call them up at a whim with the 3d. I know he uses traktor as well, but you can do some pretty amazing things with Ableton and a Xone 3d and a good skill/knowledge set.
he uses traktor for looping etc and 2 1d's and an xone 92 or 62 normally (I'm not a stalker...) :lol:
The Xone 3d is all of those combined into one unit.

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:13 pm

WmR wrote:
Yeeeehaaaa7 wrote:
The Xone 3d is all of those combined into one unit.
pretty much, yeah