Price of Upgrade to Live 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chrisedmo

Re: Price of Upgrade to Live 8

Post by chrisedmo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:59 am

I actually thing the upgrade price is great... This is the biggest update for a while.
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

ash1

Post by ash1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:03 am

ableton is overpriced in the current credit crunch

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:10 am

ash1 wrote:ableton is overpriced in the current credit crunch
see... that's the thing ... when you know your product is unique...
and you have a large user base...which you know will buy the upgrade...
I don't care though... I'll wear the belt a bit tighter and give them my hard earned $...
it's for a good cause..(I think..)
:wink:

chris_in_london

Post by chris_in_london » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:59 am

3dot... wrote:
ash1 wrote: it's for a good cause..(I think..)
:wink:
i'm not so sure that is still the case - smells like the wind is changing and the $$ signs are starting to ring in the eyes of the ableton execs... :(

poshook

Post by poshook » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:21 pm

I agree, Live 8 is a big step against 7 but (3 to 4) or (5 to 6) were also very dramatic upgrades for 99,-Euro. This is not about 50,-Euro, this is about 50% more than the previous upgrade price and for me it seems to be to much...
I am on board from version 4 and there were upgrades to version 5 and 7 which were very light with minor improvements but upgrade price did not decrease... :wink:

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:48 pm

ethios4 wrote:Inflated scarf prices?
rofl :lol:

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:18 pm

salatspinatra> I am on the suite already so the upgrade is costing 149 euros after the coupon. For that I get:
  • Looper
  • New effects
  • Updates to Operator
  • Collision
  • New content
  • Track folders
  • Cross fades in arrangement
  • Groove templates
  • New time stretching
Seems pretty good to me. Maybe if you aren't on the suite it is not so good?

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:19 pm

Gotta say that I think the upgrade price is a bit steep (even with the coupon).
And we haven't seen what Max4Live or the sharing stuff is going to cost yet.
I'm not very happy about some of the design decisions made in Live 8, and combined with the cost, I'm very doubtful I'll be upgrading.

chris_in_london

Post by chris_in_london » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:27 pm

twisted-space wrote:Gotta say that I think the upgrade price is a bit steep (even with the coupon).
I'm not very happy about some of the design decisions made in Live 8, and combined with the cost, I'm very doubtful I'll be upgrading.
please mail support and let them know how you feel. if lots of users to do it, it may make them re-think their current pricing policy...

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:48 pm

chris_in_london wrote:
twisted-space wrote:Gotta say that I think the upgrade price is a bit steep (even with the coupon).
please mail support and let them know how you feel. if lots of users to do it, it may make them re-think their current pricing policy...
C'mon man, you don't really belive that do you? Why would they reduce the price when people are falling over themseves to give them money?
As long as people are paying what the Abe's ask the price will stay the same :(

chris_in_london

Post by chris_in_london » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:10 pm

twisted-space wrote:
chris_in_london wrote: please mail support and let them know how you feel. if lots of users to do it, it may make them re-think their current pricing policy...
C'mon man, you don't really belive that do you? Why would they reduce the price when people are falling over themseves to give them money?
As long as people are paying what the Abe's ask the price will stay the same :(
there will always be the people who'll buy everything without question, but at least by sending a message, ableton will be getting some negative feedback amongst all the fanyboy gushing.

i refuse to pay that much for live 8, and hopefully so will enough others that it will make a difference. if people have written to tell them specifically why they aren't going to upgrade, perhaps when the initial upgrade rush is over, and they see that a smaller percentage have upgraded since last time, they will know why some didn't.

if you don't write, it gives them more opportunity to attribute other reasons if they don't sell as many upgrades as last time. this way, they know why some users didn't buy it. i'm not naive, but it's worth a shot. 5 minutes of your life.

karmaofdove

Post by karmaofdove » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:17 pm

In my opinion, I think I received a great deal on upgrading from just Live 7 to Live 8 Suite. I appreciate the software and the developers who poured many hours into giving us this product.

I can't think of a better way to show my support for these developers and the company than by purchasing their product. After all, in the end, it is their product that enables me to pursue my livelihood.

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:50 pm

zenmonk wrote:In my opinion, I think I received a great deal on upgrading from just Live 7 to Live 8 Suite. I appreciate the software and the developers who poured many hours into giving us this product.

I can't think of a better way to show my support for these developers and the company than by purchasing their product. After all, in the end, it is their product that enables me to pursue my livelihood.
+1. Exactly something I would have said, Zenmonk, I totally agree.

I noticed that some people are complaining about the price for the "most expensive DAW" on the market referring to Ableton Suite 8, but the DAW upgrade itself (without the suite) is a little more than 100 Euro, which definitely does not make it the most expensive DAW today.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

chalkline

Post by chalkline » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:58 pm

I am confused, looking at the web shop it is only 79euros from 7 to 8

chris_in_london

Post by chris_in_london » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:01 pm

locojohn wrote:I noticed that some people are complaining about the price for the "most expensive DAW" on the market referring to Ableton Suite 8, but the DAW upgrade itself (without the suite) is a little more than 100 Euro, which definitely does not make it the most expensive DAW today.

Andrejs
huh?

http://www.ableton.com/upgrade

Live 7 to Live 8 Upgrade (Download) EUR 149
Live 7 to Live 8 Upgrade (Box) EUR 179

?