prices are much

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leisuremuffin

Re: prices are much

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:20 am

theque wrote:do any other daws make you pay extra for things like samplers or synthesizers or some samples of drums?
You can also go to any airport bathroom in the world and get sucked off by a US senator for free. Some people still make the effort to get a hot girlfriend/boyfriend.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Kahinar

Post by Kahinar » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:24 am

:lol:
MacOsX 10.6 MacBookPro 2.33

Kahinar

Post by Kahinar » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:38 am

Actually, I don't mean "Live doesn't deserve that money" It's my best software ever. I really love it. And if I have money much, I'm sure I'll buy suite and all other addenda. even all the merchandises..
Anyway, ...Of course they can't give all the features for free. But I believe it could cost less...
MacOsX 10.6 MacBookPro 2.33

Dalibor Loncar

Post by Dalibor Loncar » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:39 am

compared to other daws ableton isn´t "cheap", that´s for sure.

but: you are talking logic and cubase always.

cubase is owned by yamaha. apple aquired emagic in 2002. roland aquired cakewalk ... the list goes on ...

i hope this will not happen with ableton!

do you want your software from multicorporate enterprises? from my point of view this is always a step back when a small high-tech company is aquired by a group of affiliated companies.

do you wanna be controlled by big companies only? personally i don´t need another microsoft, google and whatnot to be depending on. that's enough!

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:52 am

theque wrote:do any other daws make you pay extra for things like samplers or synthesizers or some samples of drums?
fruityloops might be far fetched to call a daw, but it makes you pay for all sorts of stuff.

most people just don't know that cause most people crack it.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:08 am

I think Its well worth the Money. I might be a jaded fanboy but I think Live is miles ahead of any other Digital Audio Workhorse out there...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:14 am

I've said this many times before but I'll say it again

"it should be cheaper cause I want it to be cheaper" doesn't make any sense.

similar to the old "it isn't fair cause it doesn't benefit me"

often times I buy things I wish cost less, but the fact that I paid for it means the price was reasonable in the end.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Freekster

Post by Freekster » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:26 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:I think Live is miles ahead of any other Digital Audio Workhorse out there...
Not ahead. Miles in other direction is a correct line. As a "normal" DAW Live is still miles behind Pro Tools & Logic.

Live is the best "clip launching" software (is there even competition) out there and if you want the new features then you have to pay.

For now, i'm not gonna pay for the upgrade as only thing that i need in it is the Group tracks. IMO you can't even call a software a DAW if it don't have group tracks. That's a basic functionality that every DAW have in version 1.

Asking money from every new feature is just steering people towards piracy.
Studio: Macbook Pro, Live 8 Suite, Plugins, Apple Logic Pro, MicroKONTROL, Nocturn, Motu UltraLite, iPad B Truth monitors.
Stage: MBP, Live, MicroKONTROL, iPad, UltraLite.

New EP out as free download: http://music.bubblescum.com
Bubble Scum Homepage
Bubble Scum Facebook

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:31 am

Freekster wrote:That's a basic functionality that every DAW have in version 1.
can we compile a list of daw's that had group tracks in version 1 please?

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:38 am

Freekster wrote:
mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:I think Live is miles ahead of any other Digital Audio Workhorse out there...
Not ahead. Miles in other direction is a correct line. As a "normal" DAW Live is still miles behind Pro Tools & Logic.

Live is the best "clip launching" software (is there even competition) out there and if you want the new features then you have to pay.

For now, i'm not gonna pay for the upgrade as only thing that i need in it is the Group tracks. IMO you can't even call a software a DAW if it don't have group tracks. That's a basic functionality that every DAW have in version 1.

Asking money from every new feature is just steering people towards piracy.
heh heh,
Notice I didnt say "DAW" I still mean what I said though. If you think about it "Digital Audio Workstation" Doesnt Imply much. To me, it means a workstation where i play with audio, thats most likely at one time or another digital. What I like about Live is that it took till version 8 to have group tracks. What I like about Live is that at version 1 they had instant MIDI mapping, global record, and a slick interface...and pretty soon , Ill be able to make whatever I want. :D

rarelyseen

Post by rarelyseen » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:45 am

Dalibor Loncar wrote: cubase is owned by yamaha. apple aquired emagic in 2002. roland aquired cakewalk ... the list goes on ...

i hope this will not happen with ableton!
Ah! Now we're talking! That's exactly what I think. A couple of years ago, Logic with all addons used to be at least 3 times as expensive as Live Suite costs nowadays. Cubase was just slightly cheaper than Logic and Ableton the cheap outsider. Now the market has changed, which is of course good for us, but I can't believe that a small company like Ableton would be able to cover their expenses if they were selling such a comprehensive software like Logic and Cubase for $499. Live 8 (non-Suite) costs $450 and you get a great range of good sounding effects, a super inspiring tool called Session View, great routing possibilities and whatnot. Still sounds like a fair deal to me. If you need synths, get some freeware stuff, buy some of the bigger ones or get Suite, which gives you a ton of stuff for only $200 more.

I also never get the people who complain about upgrade prices. The amount of new features and useful stuff is immense. If you don't need it, skip the upgrade. How simple can it be?

I love all the new stuff they have put into Live 8 and I think it's great value for the money. At the KVR forums they are praising the new SSL bus compressor emulation from Cytomic ("The Glue") in a 130 pages-long thread, and everyone of them is willing to spend 99 Pounds/Euros/Dollars/whatever right away. For a single compressor plugin. And there is no grumbling about the price at all. It is considered as an "awesome price", because they compare it to the much more expensive Waves, UAD and SSL software-replicas. Well, The Glue sounds very good indeed. Ableton's new multiband compressor sounds very, very good as well. Different of course, but incredibly good. So how much would these guys be willing to spend on a standalone VST version of Ableton's multiband compressor? $99? Ok.
How about the Vocoder? What I have heard in the beta sounds like one of the best software vocoders around. Orange vocoder costs how much? $200? Ok, let's say Ableton makes a real good deal and sells it for $99.

So we have $198 for the compressor and the vocoder.

"Oh wait, the Live 8 upgrade only costs $189!"

"..."

Freekster

Post by Freekster » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:56 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote: heh heh,
Notice I didnt say "DAW" I still mean what I said though.
Hehe, good point :D
Studio: Macbook Pro, Live 8 Suite, Plugins, Apple Logic Pro, MicroKONTROL, Nocturn, Motu UltraLite, iPad B Truth monitors.

Bubble Scum Homepage
Bubble Scum Facebook

Freekster

Post by Freekster » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:15 pm

rarelyseen wrote: I also never get the people who complain about upgrade prices. The amount of new features and useful stuff is immense. If you don't need it, skip the upgrade. How simple can it be?
True. There is lot of ppl that never upgraded to L7 and many of them will not upgrade to L8 as session view is the reason why they use Live and it works perfectly well in L6. Then there is others who don't want pay (again) from some basic features and download the app from piratebay. Once they got into that road there is now way that they would ever pay again.

I have spent quite a lot of money to live, it's instruments and upgrades, so another 149e for upgrade is peanuts :D Alltough i might wait until max4live is out as Ableton might bundle it to Suite to just annoy the users who bought upgrade too soon :p Free operator anyone?

Would I ever pay for processing plug-ins made by ableton?
Nope. They really ain't that good.

Bubble Scum Homepage
Bubble Scum Facebook

rarelyseen

Post by rarelyseen » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Freekster wrote:
Would I ever pay for processing plug-ins made by ableton?
Nope. They really ain't that good.
I think the EQ8 in high-quality mode is pretty good for a DAW-internal EQ. The new compressor they introduced in 7 sounds great. Live 8 multiband compressor is just awesome. The new limiter is good and solid. All delay-type effects are fun and sound good. Saturator often sounds much better than many other distortion plugins. New Overdrive and the new Vocoder are ace and so is Corpus. The other stuff is indeed so so, but still very handy sometimes. I really like Live's effects and use them more often than my UAD plugins.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:41 pm

i think the upgrade price is a bit too high, i understand it has lots of new features but is it really like 40% new software? Also i think they should throw a few more instruments into the basic package. i am also surprised about the sharing i hadn't really given it much thought though or how it will really work i guess it needs to be payed for i just hope it will be an afordable amount.