Big Thanks to everyone at Ableton.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jarvisimon

Big Thanks to everyone at Ableton.

Post by Jarvisimon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:37 pm

I would just like to thanks everyone at Ableton for having made this product such a power house of production tools.

I've been making the best produced but strangest ambient music since I ported over from my ex DAW. So again....

THANK YOU TEAM ABLETON.

Even though I am not yet upgrading to 8, it should be happening by the end of the month.

If anyone else would care to join in the thanks, feel free.

Hearing praise and thanks is equally as good as the financial rewards, so gush away.

contakt321

Re: Big Thanks to everyone at Ableton.

Post by contakt321 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:42 pm

+ 1

aizo

Post by aizo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:38 pm

+ over 9000, This past year Ableton has really won me over. I was a HARDCORE Digital Performer fan before, now I don't know if I can write music without Live now. I'm loving 8 and all it's goodies. Mad props to my ????????????
ImageImage

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:24 pm

+1 here as well. This is definitely competing with 7 for my favorite upgrade.

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:29 pm

I'm sure i've said it before, but in case I haven't:
+1
MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.5.8, Live 8 Suite, Logic Studio 9, Ultralite Mk3

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:50 pm

I congratulate the new innovations - but not the very expensive upgrade and the dropping of educational discounts on upgrades.

This is poor business sense to me in a time when other manufacturers recognize customers need a break in this global recession and are cutting prices, Ableton increase theirs.

Not to mention the full retail cost of Live 8 SUite is now 300 dollars more than Logic Studio, Cubase 5 and Sonar, all of which also offer tons of content and synths and FX. And if you add in an APC40 and Max For Live (which given the cost of these updates will probably be another 500 bucks), that's one heck of an expensive setup, more so than it ought to be.

Having said this, I will likely upgrade because I love Ableton and the Live 8 beta was excellent. But a sour taste in the mouth remains.
Last edited by leedsquietman on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

QUAZAR

Post by QUAZAR » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:51 pm

+ 1.
Live 8 is a joy to work with. The best version yet. The sound-, mangle and tweak possibilities are endless...
music making for me is more fun than it ever was.
also: group tracks are a dream come true, plus other many small improvements, groove is very promising, the new warpmode is great (if you got used to it) and fantastic that Ableton decided to work with my favourite vst-maker AAS for the new plug ins.

and luckily i didn't run into many issues, i find L8 quite solid

So many toys to play with in one DAW, unbelievable.
Macbook Pro, 2.5 GHz (2008), OSX 10.5.6 - 4 GB RAM, RME Fireface, Akai APC40, Novation Remote, Live 8.01

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:06 pm

leedsquietman wrote:I congratulate the new innovations - but not the very expensive upgrade.
Yeah I can pretty much understand your view here. Ableton have turned Live into one of the most expensive DAWs on the market, though you do get a lot for your money.

In their defence I shall say this, about 12 years ago, I bought an EMU E3XP sampler for £2000 (on reduced price sale), it had one filter type (LPF), 1 LFO and 4 Envelopes. It didn't have analogue inputs (this was a £500 additional extra) and was updated within 3 months. It came with a cd's worth of samples, only a few of which were any good. Memory was 8 mb.

Obviously things have moved on, with that money today, I could buy a superduper computer, Ableton Live 8 suite and the Akai controller and still have change left over.

I don't want to sound like an old fart but it's good to remember how much better things are now.

I've not got the money to update quite yet but I hope to have it by the end of the month and i'm more than happy to pay their fees.

Anyone want to buy some NI plugs? Absynth 4, FM8, Guitar Rig 3, Massive, Vokator and a few other manufacturers synths/drum machines. They're all great but Live 8 suite can replace the lot.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:02 pm

Whose ass are we kissing again? :lol: JK!!

No but seriously... I have nothing but mad respect for the Abes. They have really hit it out of the ballpark this time. They have shown their true credibility by resisting the beckon of the lucrative business cycle(holiday releases) and took their time to hone a finely crafted machine.

I've noticed that a lot of us took the leap and went for the Suite upgrade this time? I think that shows what I've been witnessing... that more and more beatniques are turning to Live as their main axe.

Although after six years of loyalty I think I'm entitled to a couple free stickers.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

Nikos T

Post by Nikos T » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:56 pm

+1

Thanks to the Abes for making producing so much fun and comprehensive at the same time. :mrgreen:

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:41 pm

Anubis wrote:I've noticed that a lot of us took the leap and went for the Suite upgrade this time? I think that shows what I've been witnessing... that more and more beatniques are turning to Live as their main axe.
Ever the cynic here but I think people are upgrading to the suite because the Abes opened it up to everyone during beta testing.

I had already decided that I wanted the extra instruments anyway, they may not be quite as versatile as my NI plugs but theyt are closely integrated with its inner workings and what with the effects, paint a hugely wide pallete of colours.

If anyone wants to buy some NI plugs, feel free to contact me and i'll give you a price.

Absynth 4, FM8, Massive, Vokator, Guitar Rig as well as Waldorf Attack, Steinberg D'cota and various others I can't quite recall off the top of my head.

All got to go before I update to 8 Suite.

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:48 pm

Jarvisimon wrote:I would just like to thanks everyone at Ableton for having made this product such a power house of production tools.

I've been making the best produced but strangest ambient music since I ported over from my ex DAW. So again....

THANK YOU TEAM ABLETON.

Even though I am not yet upgrading to 8, it should be happening by the end of the month.

Hearing praise and thanks is equally as good as the financial rewards, so gush away.
That's not Ableton's fault! You've been reading Eckhart Tolle haven't you? 8O
And yes, the Abes are really raking it in now. I'm sure they've all sent their mums off to Miami Beach on a nice holiday. :lol:
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:20 pm

Jarvisimon wrote:I would just like to thanks everyone at Ableton for having made this product such a power house of production tools.

THANK YOU TEAM ABLETON.

Puuuuuurlease!
MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, OSX 10.11.2, Live 9.7

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:08 pm

How does Live replace Massive, Absynth or Guitar Rig ?
Analog is a fair analog VA, but not as good as Massive.
Live does not have any wavetable synths like Absynth.

Live has a couple of racked emulations of guitar amp/sim plugs but overdrive and saturator do not make a physically modelled bunch of classic amps and cabs, with variable microphone choices and positioning like Guitar Rig. Other stuff is available from 3rd party (puremagnetik or covops have some decent guitar racks) but it doesn't have the range of sounds as Guitar Rig.

Live Suite can do a heck of a lot, and I know you are looking to sell to reinvest in Live, but you are not going to directly replace any of those plugins.

The new Operator is a fairly good fit for FM8, albeit without the huge range of presets and aprs and FX built in (you can of course do this with racks though).
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:46 pm

aizo wrote:+ over 9000, This past year Ableton has really won me over. I was a HARDCORE Digital Performer fan before, now I don't know if I can write music without Live now. I'm loving 8 and all it's goodies. Mad props to my ????????????
I started on dp 2.7........Swore by it. After discovering live, I decided not to upgrade to dp 6 and stay at 5.13 and keep my flow going with live. SO I agree with you :D
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.