Is it true? Is the old warp mode not available in 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

Is it true? Is the old warp mode not available in 8?

Post by kb420 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:20 am

I really need to know. I have invested too much time in the old mode for it to not be available in 8.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

mr.adl

Re: Is it true? Is the old warp mode not available in 8?

Post by mr.adl » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:26 am

Yes, they changed it into an easier way.

Fieldy

Post by Fieldy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:05 am

and way better sounding way

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:28 am

Nope, no old way, all new and improved. If you cant bother to learn it (which takes all of 10 minutes) then stick with 7

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:32 am

i liked the old warp mode. Also "better sounding" is subjective.
I like to do lofi and strange sounding things so for me the old warp mode was great.

Anyway....also like the new warpmode but ableton.....please put in the old warp again so we can choose okay.

william.jack38

Post by william.jack38 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:08 pm

If you have given time just stay with 7, but all are changed in 8. Try the new one.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:33 pm

Emissary wrote:Nope, no old way, all new and improved. If you cant bother to learn it (which takes all of 10 minutes) then stick with 7
what he said, but if you are a veteran live user, you can probably figure it out in less than 5 minutes. Just give it a chance, it works so much better.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

bridgealantee

Post by bridgealantee » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:29 pm

I just want to chime in here. I just picked up Live 7 about a month ago with the intent of upgrading to 8. Boy am I glad I can't complain about how they changed warping because im not used to the old way. From someone new to the program the new way of warping is just amazing. No guessing how its going to sound. You can see exactlly how long or short your expanding or compressing your audio. From someone who is new to the program this is the best new feature by far.

Paul D

Post by Paul D » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:33 pm

bridgealantee wrote:I just want to chime in here. I just picked up Live 7 about a month ago with the intent of upgrading to 8.
i have had live the same, i did some warping and was frustrated at how long it took, ive only warped 2 tunes, do yous reckon it is worth the extra cash ?

RaidenOffKey

Post by RaidenOffKey » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:49 pm

I posted on here a few days ago saying I'm not into the new warp, but I gotta admit that after a days of messing about with it I prefer the new one too. :oops:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:18 pm

My main issues with the new warping aren't really having to do with the fact that we now drag the audio and not the marker. That's not a big deal to get used to.

For me the big pain is lack of timeline on the bottom, loss of bar measurements on the markers, and the way they changed the zooming. I understand the timeline thing is now a tricky issue (though they solved it fine at the bottom of arrange view), but the other two baffle me.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:49 pm

Does it sound different in beats mode? I didn't notice that. Just set it back to warping eights instead of transients. Right?
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

seismicexplo

Post by seismicexplo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:45 pm

my 1rst impression of warping in live8 was:oh no this is gonna be like when they removed the edit button
but,after having used it a few times more i was more like:this is how it should have been
-it took me a while to find out you have to press shift to move audio relative to a marker,
imo that makes warping in live8 feel almost like 7
and audio quality :they added complexpro(certainly sounds better imo),and they added a few parameters and settings in the beats algorythm(which can still sound same to me,but also some more options)

i would think:if someone is introduced to live8,and that person learns and then knows how to warp in live8...
and then somehow for some reason ,that person has to do warping in live7 warping..i bet he wont like it

i mean in live7 if you warp a long .wav that may have some tempo changes(not something sequenced or played with a clicktrack)
then live7 will guess the tempo and may place warpmarkers all over the .wav
in live8 however that same .wav will have mostly transient-makers(which are placed where live7 may have placed an actual marker)
and the transient markers are not pinned down to the grid the way normal warpmarkers are,if you make one of the transientmarkers an actual marker(by double clicking it)then all other transientmarkers will move relative to the prev marker and the new marker if you move it,whereas in live7 you may need to delete all the in between markers to do the same
though it realy comes down to what/how your workflow is offcourse
..well just my 2cts.

greets
seis.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:53 pm

I know that the "new" way might be more intuitive because the time axis remains equidistant... but after the whole beta period I don't think it is premature to say that the old method was faster for me in nearly all of the cases. The "guessed" transients need to be adjusted all of the time and dragging a warp marker was way faster than deleting it and recreating it by double clicking which I now have to do.

It would be great to have the possibility to switch back to the old mode. I'm always willing to learn new things, but after weeks of struggeling with the new warping method I just want the old method back.

A workaround could be to use 7 for warping in parallel but hey.... that's not really a serious alternative.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:14 pm

nbinder wrote:I know that the "new" way might be more intuitive because the time axis remains equidistant... but after the whole beta period I don't think it is premature to say that the old method was faster for me in nearly all of the cases. The "guessed" transients need to be adjusted all of the time and dragging a warp marker was way faster than deleting it and recreating it by double clicking which I now have to do.

It would be great to have the possibility to switch back to the old mode. I'm always willing to learn new things, but after weeks of struggeling with the new warping method I just want the old method back.

A workaround could be to use 7 for warping in parallel but hey.... that's not really a serious alternative.
If you don't autowarp on, you don't have transients messing up the timing.
This leaves you with just 1 warp marker at the beginning.
With transients all over the place, its easy to grab one and snap it to a grid (or not).

In Live 7, you had to imagine the length of a stretched piece or read it out from the time measurements.
In Live 8 you see the actual length against the time line.