Post your set up and your sexy cat...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

Re: Post your set up and your ugly face...

Post by SubFunk » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:27 pm

snowtires wrote:i've been following this thread for a while and, i've gotta say, i have no clue how some of you work with so much crap in front of you or why anyone would need like ten different midi pad controllers.

i sort of agree**, the funny thing really is that i know dozens of people who make music, the ones with the small simple setups, do fine... the others discussing all there live what they need to actually make music.

before a war starts, that is just MY OWN REAL EXPERIENCE, nothing else... jeez i mean i met people in brighton, UK having restored vintage NEVE desks at home and they can produce shit. not saying i would love to own one... :D

and it's not envy, i mean i sold nearly all my carp, because it distracted me from actually making music and becoming good in skills. (not saying it has to apply to everyone the same... see**)
*** Image GAFM ***

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:34 pm

SubFunk wrote:
snowtires wrote:i've been following this thread for a while and, i've gotta say, i have no clue how some of you work with so much crap in front of you or why anyone would need like ten different midi pad controllers.

i sort of agree**, the funny thing really is that i know dozens of people who make music, the ones with the small simple setups, do fine... the others discussing all there live what they need to actually make music.

before a war starts, that is just MY OWN REAL EXPERIENCE, nothing else... jeez i mean i met people in brighton, UK having restored vintage NEVE desks at home and they can produce shit. not saying i would love to own one... :D

and it's not envy, i mean i sold nearly all my carp, because it distracted me from actually making music and becoming good in skills. (not saying it has to apply to everyone the same... see**)
Word to that. I've sold countless controllers and devices because they just got in the way. There's nothing wrong with having all of that stuff if you've got the skills to use it, though!

Don't even use a MIDI controller (for CC# stuff, at least) with the computer. Just a keyboard...
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:48 pm

SubFunk wrote:

yea, after a while it comes down to skill. I've heard good music come out of mtv music generator for the playstation and total shit come out of the high end music suites.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:54 pm

the other thing is that i had a "teacher" in my beginnings who co-produced the orb albums, worked with roger waters, remixed a top range of american R&B artists...etc. etc. and all in his tiny, tiny homestudio in west london...
(most of you would laugh seeing a gear list)

i was always like, yeah i want that minimalism, too.

and i learned a hell lot from him.

again, that is just one way of doing it, there are many others... still i am burnt for live with that "attitude"
*** Image GAFM ***

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:58 pm

dave999z wrote:Love that desk. Where'd you get it? and how did you mount your interface to its underside like that?
Thanks! That's a $60 drafting table I got in the bad olde days before CAD. ;)
The controller sits on a keyboard tray where the qwerty kb usually resides. The controller's USB and damper pedal cords stay velcroed to the table frame, so it swaps out in seconds. The Firebox sits in a corny ply'd and masonite box I screwed to the underside of the table. If I made one again, I'd leave a little more room for ventilation.

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:01 pm

I have the following setup

1 x Sony Vaio Laptop
1 x Soundblaster external soundcard (I got it from a mate as he didn't need it anymore)
1 x Crap USB Keyboard I got off the same guy I got the soundcard from
1 x Behringer Mixer I got for my Birthday in the mid 90's

Lets just say it's not worthy of a photo but it does me fine, at least I can take my whole setup wherever I go with only 1 rucksack and a laptop bag?! :wink:
Live 7, Sony Vaio, limited talent, limited budget, limitless enthusiasm. :D
http://twitter.com/funkydoolah

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:03 pm

Illum wrote:This is hopefully my last studio setup in Chicago (moved 4 time in the last year). Now I'm above a vacant storefront so I have the whole building to myself. Super close to my 2 favorite record stores in the city (Permanent and K-Stark records). Only thing missing is L8/ MFL/ APC40! (and some more booze)

Nice Singing Bowl!!

Although I disagree with your choice of Whiskey. Green Label ftw.

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:16 pm

Ok, so just to give everyone an idea of a low budget setup!! :wink:

Last edited by Minimal Justice System on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Minimal Justice System wrote:Ok, so just to give everyone an idea of a low budget setup!! :wink:

Grand.
*** Image GAFM ***

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:24 pm

I have actually used that exact setup for minor live performance and it didn't let me down, it's limited but mainly by imagination!!

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:48 pm

Minimal Justice System wrote:I have actually used that exact setup for minor live performance and it didn't let me down, it's limited but mainly by imagination!!
You have got to fill us in on what all those crazy labels are for! Nice one, dude.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:49 pm

from experience, i can say that having several midi controllers is great for live performance and studio if you don't feel like flipping through lots of presets and such. and certain controllers are better for certain things of course.
ASUS GL553VE- i7 2.81gHz 32gb RAM Win10 64 bit Live 10 standard
Behringer X32, Microlite 5x5, midisport 4x4, APC40
Deluge, Beatstep Pro, keystep, SQ-1
Voyager, Prophet 6, JX-3P, JX-8P, BSII, Minibrute, MB33, Eurorack
DRM1, TR-505, HR-16, Rhythm Wolf, RX15

Minimal Justice System

Post by Minimal Justice System » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:36 pm

logic_user99 wrote:
Minimal Justice System wrote:I have actually used that exact setup for minor live performance and it didn't let me down, it's limited but mainly by imagination!!
You have got to fill us in on what all those crazy labels are for! Nice one, dude.
lol... All those crazy labels are to keep my ageing mind on the ball when i'm using the bloody thing!! Becasue there are so few assignable knobs on the old bugger I have to setup keys to activate and de-activate effects in the rack I have set up for performance and in some instances I have keys set to toggle effects to different presets. Put this in tandem with launching clips, changing tempo etc and the combinations of keystrokes required between keyboard and laptop becomes a bit too much to remember!!

Without my crazy labels it would be like trying to use a late 80's flight sim without the keyboard overlay... Only for the brave (well in front of an audience anyway)

I do realise it has a touch of mad professor to it but when you're as low budget as I am you need to make the most of what you have! :D

pamplemousse_mk2

Post by pamplemousse_mk2 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:44 pm

v00d00ppl wrote:no, i thought your eidorol controller has drum pads too right????? Yea, i've had the trigger finger for a while too. It's ok, but i upgraded to the mpd24.
oh yes, sorry... I use the pads of the PCR-300 only to activate clips and parameters, not for drum playing. They are too little for me to use them as drum pads, and I have the Trigger Finger. Using PCR pads as buttons are cool, they have leds which display their activities. I have configure the first row of pads as toggle switches, and the leds let me know which switches are on. This is good for parameters.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:54 pm

pamplemousse_mk2 wrote:
v00d00ppl wrote:no, i thought your eidorol controller has drum pads too right????? Yea, i've had the trigger finger for a while too. It's ok, but i upgraded to the mpd24.
oh yes, sorry... I use the pads of the PCR-300 only to activate clips and parameters, not for drum playing. They are too little for me to use them as drum pads, and I have the Trigger Finger. Using PCR pads as buttons are cool, they have leds which display their activities. I have configure the first row of pads as toggle switches, and the leds let me know which switches are on. This is good for parameters.
oh ok, then trigger finger FTW!!!
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu