OT: Love him, hate him: Mr. Reznor's next move

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rjbourc

OT: Love him, hate him: Mr. Reznor's next move

Post by rjbourc » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:35 am

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/04 ... or-wa.html

Say whatcha want: the man knows his fan base and is playing the "soon-to-be-post-record-label" music industry like some kind of freakin' pinball wizard.
"The details are not details. They make the product."
Charles Eames

beats me

Re: OT: Love him, hate him: Mr. Reznor's next move

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:37 am

Nice way to combine the iphone/ipod touch with the huge database that is the NIN site. I dig that you can stream all the remixes (11,000 holy shit) that fans have made.

Yeah, I'll be getting it.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:41 am

I haven't enjoyed any of his music in years unfortunately. Nothing since halo14 I think it was.

notice I didn't say his new stuff sucked, I just said I didn't enjoy it.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:50 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I haven't enjoyed any of his music in years unfortunately. Nothing since halo14 I think it was.

notice I didn't say his new stuff sucked, I just said I didn't enjoy it.
I think this is beside he point, like or loath it doesn't come into the picture.
The guts of what he is doing is what is important.
Taking advantage of the web's read and write aspect.
Knowing that the web is there for sharing, as that is what is was primarly invented for,
and so rather than fight that, look for ways of using it.
I love what he is doing on this level, i wish more people would see the point of it
and use it properly. The whole pay for stems off iTunes to RMX thing is bollocks in my opinion.
The record companies had their chance to buy into this, now they are spending way more
than they would have lost if they had trying to fight it.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:58 am

thats cool, I totally get it : internet = sharing opportunity.

just sayin, I haven't enjoyed his music in years. if like or loath it doesn't come into the picture then why do you have 'love him, hate him' in the subject?

it seems strange to me actually that something like an itunes app for steaming a bands music is actually considered innovative, I mean I accept that it is I guess as maybe nobody has done it yet but it's such a no brainer.

not trying to be a dick or anything
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:12 am

reznor for president.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:22 am

I also don't understand this obsession with celebrating when a mainstream artist does something out of the ordinary. So radiohead sold their album for donations, I've seen hundreds of kids do that in local small time bands. Was it risky for them? no. they knew they have millions of fans and were gonna make an ass load of money really fast. Sure it was pretty cool, it's also pretty cool that prince sells his own records from his website. but I guess to me it's just so passe (spelling?) now. The only people who can make a great deal of money with the 'new way' of doing things is the people who already made a great deal of money with the 'old way'. Soon there won't be an 'old way' of doing things as the industry will die (or has already) and the small time artists will never rise to superstar status anymore.

I'm feeling ranty today, please forgive it. I'm working on breaking one of my many addictions and it's making me tense as f***k

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:26 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
I'm feeling ranty today, please forgive it. I'm working on breaking one of my many addictions and it's making me tense as f***k
What did you give up buddy?

FWIW - I agree with both points, Trent is certainly a great example of someone using the web to their full advantage. On the other hand, it's funny to think of Radiohead or NIN as DIY when they have both had a decade+ of major label support and MILLIONS of marketing dollars spent on their career.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:28 am

i don't love him or hate him. just oblivious

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:30 am

Johnisfaster wrote:I also don't understand this obsession with celebrating when a mainstream artist does something out of the ordinary. So radiohead sold their album for donations, I've seen hundreds of kids do that in local small time bands. Was it risky for them? no. they knew they have millions of fans and were gonna make an ass load of money really fast. Sure it was pretty cool, it's also pretty cool that prince sells his own records from his website. but I guess to me it's just so passe (spelling?) now. The only people who can make a great deal of money with the 'new way' of doing things is the people who already made a great deal of money with the 'old way'. Soon there won't be an 'old way' of doing things as the industry will die (or has already) and the small time artists will never rise to superstar status anymore.

shouldn't make excuses for how you feel.

actually, this should fix things. no longer will an artist rise to the top because Warner Bros. picked them up on their label (instead of having talent). now those who rock, will rock, and they will gain a following. if they manage their resources right and successfully create a "business" from their music, they will succeed. this is the time to seperate the mice from the men and i am very excited for it.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:31 am

contakt321 wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:
What did you give up buddy?

FWIW - I agree with both points, Trent is certainly a great example of someone using the web to their full advantage. On the other hand, it's funny to think of Radiohead or NIN as DIY when they have both had a decade+ of major label support and MILLIONS of marketing dollars spent on their career.
energy drinks of all things, I was drinking 2 big energy drinks a day for a long time and it makes your morning suck donkey balls so I decided it's time to go back to regular ol' coffee. only coffee doesn't do the trick so I'm suffering through it. I've been tired for 3 days.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:33 am

Superchibisan wrote:
actually, this should fix things. no longer will an artist rise to the top because Warner Bros. picked them up on their label (instead of having talent). now those who rock, will rock, and they will gain a following. if they manage their resources right and successfully create a "business" from their music, they will succeed. this is the time to seperate the mice from the men and i am very excited for it.
Theoretically yes, but in practicality, it's doubtful for the relatively near future.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:33 am

Superchibisan wrote:
shouldn't make excuses for how you feel.
I make no excuses for how I feel or what I believe in, I do however make excuses sometimes for my actions :)

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:34 am

there is no use in being short sighted.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:09 am

Johnisfaster wrote: energy drinks of all things, I was drinking 2 big energy drinks a day for a long time and it makes your morning suck donkey balls so I decided it's time to go back to regular ol' coffee. only coffee doesn't do the trick so I'm suffering through it. I've been tired for 3 days.
You may be the exception to the rule here, but I've noticed generally people who are constantly hitting energy drinks are the last people on earth that need them because they are naturally bouncing off the walls.

Meanwhile most potheads won't touch the stuff because they don't think they need to sit on the couch faster.