PSP Vintagewarmer: Plugin of Choice?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
supster

PSP Vintagewarmer: Plugin of Choice?

Post by supster » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:49 am

I've been hearing - from a lot of people - that they are using a PSP Vintagewarmer in Live extensively. With a lot of people using it, there is apparently something to this.

Many people are saying they are using it "on every track" 8O

I own one and use it on the master to limit, boost volume in some cases, and warm up the master output. HOWEVER - since it is not a traditional compressor with traditional controls, I havent taken the time to study the manual and learn how to use it in specific situations.

Sometimes I'll throw it on the bass, or kick, or both. But thats it so far.

Questions - if you are using the Vintagewarmer:

1 - Do you use it on every track?:

Or just selcted tracks? If so, which ones are you getting best results with (drums, bass, pads, synths)

2 - At what point in the process are you using it?:

Do you by default put one on every track, and utilize this while you are composing and mixing? Or are you waiting until final mixdown before mastering to use it?

3 - If you are using it while writing on every track:

Doesnt this hit your processor hard? If so... are you bouncing your tracks with the Vintagewarmer on as u go along, and continuing to write / mix?

4 - Are you using it by itself for compression - or are you using it strictly for limiting and to add warmth ... and using other compressors for straight compression?

5 - If you are using it - do you have any tips for how to tweak it for individual types of sounds? (kick, sn, hats, drum groups, bass, pads, synths, guitar etc) Any "secrets" that you have found that are really working for you?

Really curious about this - could help the overall quality of peoples stuff immensely.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:00 am

I used to use this a LOT with FruityLoops and Cubase SX. I got some wicked tones out of it back then.

I stopped using cracked software when I switched to Live and hence I stopped using it, but recently I have been having some mix problems and downloaded the LEGAL demo from the psp website as per advice from people here.

Admittedly I got the results I was getting before and I love to use it sparingly (fave preset is the "tape normal" preset ) with the mix turned down a fair bit and some tweaking of the drive parameter. However I stopped using it as I found out that some more careful patch editing and filter editing seems to take care of most of the problems I was personally having. I will buy it if the PSP group buy happens just to have the tool in my arsenal, but I think I will try to use other production techniques to try and achieve the same results.

It's wee hours of the morning sorry if my post is a bit all over the shop, but I guess I'm trying to say that there's a lot you can do without things like PSP Vintagewarmer ... however if you DO use it, use VERY sparingly it on the things you really wish to give that additional transparent punch (fuck I wish there were better ways to describe sound) and NEVER use it as a 'band aid' to magically correct problems. You will be surprised at how much filters and subtractive EQing can help a mix.

If you are trying to do things like remove certain frequencies with subtractive EQ but maintain the same dynamics, I'd probably use the built in compressors from Ableton for that.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:55 am

When I say "on every track", I mean as a mastering tool.

mosca

Post by mosca » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:32 am

after rendering a track i'll then import the stereo .wav and run it thru vintage warmer.

convoluted i know but it works for me

mosca

went to the gypsy

Post by went to the gypsy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:30 pm

i use VW for mastering only. too much of a good thing isn't always a good thing. so i bought the mix pack, and i use the saturation and compressor obsessively--saving the VW for the final meltdown.

supster

Post by supster » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:16 pm

Machinate wrote:When I say "on every track", I mean as a mastering tool.
ok, gotcha.

Although some people seem to be saying they are running it on just about everything individually during mixing Instead of a standard compressor.

Can see where this would be problematic (even if desirable) because I am getting a hit of about 4 to 5 % on my processor with each instance.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

special ed

Post by special ed » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:20 pm

i usually put it on my master buss, but i will also put it on individual tracks if i feel they can use them, i like how the bass tracks come out with the slow tape setting.

supster

Post by supster » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:29 pm

special ed wrote:i usually put it on my master buss, but i will also put it on individual tracks if i feel they can use them, i like how the bass tracks come out with the slow tape setting.

What are your settings on the master? Are you using it as an overall compressor / limiter with the presets ... or as a tape saturator onlyl?

... and ... are you using it in a production workflow, liveset or both?

I ask because Im wondering if anyone is using it on the master out to mixdown with pre-mastering stage
--

special ed

Post by special ed » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:31 pm

supster wrote:
special ed wrote:i usually put it on my master buss, but i will also put it on individual tracks if i feel they can use them, i like how the bass tracks come out with the slow tape setting.

What are your settings on the master? Are you using it as an overall compressor / limiter with the presets ... or as a tape saturator onlyl?

... and ... are you using it in a production workflow, liveset or both?

I ask because Im wondering if anyone is using it on the master out to mixdown with pre-mastering stage
depending on the song, i usually try to get a tape compression sound on the master, i do this in the production workflow. sometimes i render each track that way and then import it into logic, just for the plugins. everysong is different though, i usually just try do do what sounds best, there are times when i dont use it at all. i still like to hear the dynamics in my music and i never really compress for sake of loudness, although that seems to be the status quo in alot music i hear. i just like enough to make it sound warm, but im also in the experimental stage with it all, and i probably will always be. the only thing i dont really use it on are vocals, only because i record those with some analog gear.

4am

Post by 4am » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:52 am

i also use it sometimes for mastering and limiting.
i find also useful for boosting frequencies when i record a loop with a low volume, instead of using the parameters of live.
by my point of view it gives best results and charges less the cpu.

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:50 am

ive used it for mastering 1 album and 2 eps, i love it1 beats paying a professional $1000-1500 per release!