NEW Vestax VCM 600 Midi Controller perfect for Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Schuft

Re: NEW Vestax VCM 600 Midi Controller perfect for Live

Post by Schuft » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:49 pm

Proof wrote:...
Its just a midi controller, after all. It can do what ever you want...
Word! I totally customized mine using Bome's Midi Translator.

BTW, Bome's Midi Translator 1.7 is out. It now has it's own virtial Midi Ports which means there's no need for Midi Yoke (Win) anymore.
Furthermore it now supports adressing several individual Midi Ports per translation rule or preset (instead of one Midi Port per program instance only) .. meaning you now finally have even more possibilities to program your own controller logic :-) .. especially because of the program logic of incoming AND outgoing messages now can use the SAME global variables (Prior to 1.7 therefor you had to start 2 seperate program instances).
I didn't change my VCM-600 presets addressing the new possibilities yet but I'm looking forward to do so :-)
SubFunk wrote:we are all to spoiled. drifting into technical wanking rather then developing skills with what we got.

theque

Post by theque » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:36 pm

Proof wrote:Probably.

But why would you want someone else telling you how to use it?

Starting from scratch means,

1. You learn more about the equipment you use
2. You start thinking, if I could program it however I want, what would I want it to do?

I dont have a use for a pan, nor a 'middle' or kills for that matter, so why would I waste controls on them? I am having a custom blank faceplate made up for me, so I can label it how I want.

:wink: :D
nicely said proof, i agree completely a controller should be able to moulded around your needs , and on a side note why the fuck does every dj mixer and midi controller have a pan knob! i juust never see the need in a live situation to use the pan knob, there are so many more useful things they could put there instead.

sorry just have to get that out of my system, it's made me mad for years

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:05 pm

theque wrote:
Proof wrote:Probably.

But why would you want someone else telling you how to use it?

Starting from scratch means,

1. You learn more about the equipment you use
2. You start thinking, if I could program it however I want, what would I want it to do?

I dont have a use for a pan, nor a 'middle' or kills for that matter, so why would I waste controls on them? I am having a custom blank faceplate made up for me, so I can label it how I want.

:wink: :D
nicely said proof, i agree completely a controller should be able to moulded around your needs , and on a side note why the fuck does every dj mixer and midi controller have a pan knob! i juust never see the need in a live situation to use the pan knob, there are so many more useful things they could put there instead.

Xone 92 doesn't. You get the 4 band EQ instead.
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:44 pm

theque wrote:and on a side note why the fuck does every dj mixer and midi controller have a pan knob! i juust never see the need in a live situation to use the pan knob, there are so many more useful things they could put there instead.

Just in case you don't like everybody on the right side of the club, you pan full left. :lol:
Seriously now, i'm with you, quite useless in a dj mixer.

Proof

Post by Proof » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:37 pm

I have been selling audio gear for quite a while now, and it still amazes me how 'few' people now that all this stuff is customisable.

While it makes the 'controlerists' stand out because they are perceived as doing something so different, I really would like to see a situation where the individuality and customisation is more the norm.
http://www.technicalsessions.com - Video Interviews of NZ's top Producers and DJs
http://www.bromidedub.com - Bromide Dub's Artist Page
Live PA - Ableton, VCM600, APC40, Nord Lead 2, DSI Evolver, Access Virus B, MachineDrum and more..

mrideas

Post by mrideas » Tue May 11, 2010 1:33 am

Fellow VCM users,

I was thinking if it's possible to switch the 8 FX pots for endless encoders? Any Midi Tech guys thought of how to do this?

The APC40 is good in this regard, as you can jump to any FX rack and not have to worry about 'jumping' values when you turn a knob, it just 'picks up' from where it was left at.

I use 'Value scaling' in the midi prefs, which for the most part is a good compromise, but endless encoders would be perfect.. :)

Thought/Ideas??