Looping a La Richie Hawtin

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Alextronica

Re: Looping a La Richie Hawtin

Post by Alextronica » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:11 pm

Try the Beat Repeat FX

set the chance to 0% and MIDI map a knob to "gird" and Midi Map a button to repeat.

See what you think

Peace Alex
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:29 am

for dj'ing, i've found the best way to map looping is by using the loop position/length/and on/off. this allows you to hit the position to start looping from that point, hit length to set the end point, then to turn loop off and continue the track, hit the on/off button. repeat as necessary. it's all on the fly. the tracks do have to be on the warp markers for this to work properly.
ASUS GL553VE- i7 2.81gHz 32gb RAM Win10 64 bit Live 10 standard
Behringer X32, Microlite 5x5, midisport 4x4, APC40
Deluge, Beatstep Pro, keystep, SQ-1
Voyager, Prophet 6, JX-3P, JX-8P, BSII, Minibrute, MB33, Eurorack
DRM1, TR-505, HR-16, Rhythm Wolf, RX15

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:37 am

Mazmith

That sounds nice

can you explain again one more time?

I mean are you sure Richie does it like that?
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:59 pm

i have no idea exactly how hawtin loops with live.
this is how i do it after trying several different ways.
it's as simple as hitting one button (position set) when you want it to start,
another (length set) when you want to set the point at which it starts over.
it will continue to loop between those two points until you hit a third button (loop on/off).

these functions are located on every audio/midi clip in live. once u map it on one, it is set to all of them. even tracks that are not currently in the live set. just click on the clip to activate the looping controls. i map the my tracks titles and track status buttons to display the channels and audio/midi clips that that are currently playing. this activates the looping controls, just the same as double clicking on the clip itself.

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:24 pm

mazmith wrote:i have no idea exactly how hawtin loops with live.
it will continue to loop between those two points until you hit a third button (loop on/off).

these functions are located on every audio/midi clip in live. once u map it on one, it is set to all of them. even tracks that are not currently in the live set. just click on the clip to activate the looping controls. i map the my tracks titles and track status buttons to display the channels and audio/midi clips that that are currently playing. this activates the looping controls, just the same as double clicking on the clip itself.
Yeah, that's what I'm doing now.

The only bit I need to do it get the length mapped, if possible. By that I mean I can reduce the loop size when it's playing. I'm oing to get a nanokontrol to give that a try

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:35 pm

it's easy to reduce the loop size once it's playing with this setup. once you have a four bar phrase playing/looping and you decide to half it, just hit the loop length button again at the half way point to capture the first half of the loop. if it's the second half u want, just hit the position button at the half way point. and even if you want bars 2 and 3, redo your original looping technique in the middle of the loop, ya know?

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:47 pm

mazmith wrote:it's easy to reduce the loop size once it's playing with this setup. once you have a four bar phrase playing/looping and you decide to half it, just hit the loop length button again at the half way point to capture the first half of the loop. if it's the second half u want, just hit the position button at the half way point. and even if you want bars 2 and 3, redo your original looping technique in the middle of the loop, ya know?
yeah, I can do that, but I want to reduce to one beat, then half beat as well but I can't get ableton to do this, it's one bar next to nothing and nothing in between. If I map to a midi knob it wont reduce to the right size

SpaceDub Productions BC

Post by SpaceDub Productions BC » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:12 am

Use this set up, then apply the super looper on the loop you are playing, that will knock it down to loop sizes you want ! Midi map a button to the on/off and a knob to the length, activate it mid loop or wherever and dial the knob down to reach the length you want, when you want out turn it off and hit the button you have assigned to LOOP and you are back into normal song play ! Or just turn super looper off and you are back into original loop play !
Hidden Music Festival 2010, Kelowna B.C. Canada, June 11-13
www.Hidden2010.com

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:36 am

SpaceDub Productions BC wrote:

Use this set up, then apply the super looper on the loop you are playing, that will knock it down to loop sizes you want ! Midi map a button to the on/off and a knob to the length, activate it mid loop or wherever and dial the knob down to reach the length you want, when you want out turn it off and hit the button you have assigned to LOOP and you are back into normal song play ! Or just turn super looper off and you are back into original loop play !
Super Looper? Where is that? I looked through the manual and can't find a reference to it. Apologies if that seems like a silly question, just never heard of it before

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:39 pm

he is referring to the new looper tool. if you do not have live 8, use the beat repeat. with the correct settings and mappings, you can achieve what your looking for. right down to 256th notes i think.

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:01 pm

mazmith wrote:he is referring to the new looper tool. if you do not have live 8, use the beat repeat. with the correct settings and mappings, you can achieve what your looking for. right down to 256th notes i think.
Ah! Not upgraded yet, waiting til the 2nd release so any bugs are ironed out

SpaceDub Productions BC

Post by SpaceDub Productions BC » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:53 am

I was actually referring to Tarekiths super looper in his effects DL
Hidden Music Festival 2010, Kelowna B.C. Canada, June 11-13
www.Hidden2010.com

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:26 am

SpaceDub Productions BC wrote:I was actually referring to Tarekiths super looper in his effects DL
cool, thanks! I'll have a wee look for that today. :)

vonwerdt

Post by vonwerdt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:01 pm

there is one problem though: you can only loop the clip currently in focus. isn't it possible to have different mappings for different channels? say keys z, x and c for looping functionality on channel one and v, b and n on channel two?

Yeeeehaaaa7

Post by Yeeeehaaaa7 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:26 pm

vonwerdt wrote:there is one problem though: you can only loop the clip currently in focus. isn't it possible to have different mappings for different channels? say keys z, x and c for looping functionality on channel one and v, b and n on channel two?
yeah, I found that, just means I need to be very quick jumping between tracks but so far so good, and I managed to pull it off live too