Who are you, really?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slirak

Re: Who are you, really?

Post by slirak » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:19 am

ark wrote:I am a mostly retired computer scientist who, while at what was once Bell Labs, was a founding member of the international committee that standardized the C++ progamming language. Although my name does not appear on it, I edited the 2003 version of the standard.

I wrote a book about C programming in 1988 that is still in print.

My wife and I wrote two books about C++ programming. In addition, she, along with some colleagues, wrote another C++ book, and I've published more than 150 magazine articles, mostly about C++. I also blog on the subject.

Musically, I'm currently a member of two bands that play in northern New Jersey from time to time, and I sometimes appear with other groups, both formal and informal.
And you've got your own entry in Wikipedia - now that's cool! (Unless you wrote it yourself of course... :wink: )

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:54 am

fingerprince wrote:45 Years old
Bass player almost since birth
Self employed computer fixer
Lots of free time - not much money (see above)
Recently bearded again
I am currently happy using Live 8 to make music that has no discernible rythmn and is working towards having no discernible music
Been with same fabulous woman for more than 15 years
Complete died in the wool atheist
Mostly happy :)
You're actually almost me.

I'm 43, with beard, can fix computers but make money from gardening (the main difference), Love the features in Live 8 and also have discovered the joys of Ambient music with no discernible rhythmn or tune. Am aiming to play my stuff out live perhaps this year, we'll see.

Think more Stockhausen than Eno drones then twist it up even further.

I used to run a free party sound system in the SW of England, working with DIY, the Lazy House and the Deep Cartel (opposite music to spiral tribe but attended a fair few of their parties in early 90's). Started on the free party scene at the end of 1989, the same time I got interested in Midi.

Dance music now bores the tits off me.

Not a Christian by any stretch of the imagination, (I don't believe that JC even existed), however, am of the opinion that Christians are still generally good people, it's just the organisations of the Church that you've got to beware of. They'll start wars etc in order to keep rule over the populace as they're more into power and money than community.

optimistic

Post by optimistic » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:03 am

Not to belittle anyone who attempts to learn Dutch and finds it difficult, mind, learning *any* language is hard as hell, but Dutch and English are like brother and sister (despite all of English's attempts to dress up as a Frenchmen and deny its glorious Germanic past), whereas Polish would be more like a really awkward (probably drunk!) second-cousin.
That would be me :oops: As a native English speaker with no previous experience in other languages I find Flemish quite difficult. My pronunciation is ok but I find grammar and sentence structure to be very different.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm a 27y/o Aussie living in Belgium. I'm an engineer for a biotech company which sounds more impressive than it actually is. I don't really write music so much - I know from previous experiences in bands that, despite my best efforts, I'm not really that creative. I use Live everyday though, mainly just making loops, weird noises and mix comps for the train ride to work. It's my form of relaxation. Some people watch tv after work, I make weird noises on Live :)

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:19 am

I started working as a soundtechnician but now i work fulltime as a video-editor/cameraman.
I the old days;) i played guitar in different (rock, wave)bands but happily switched over to electronic/dancemusic and sequencing.
Music is a hobby but also make some money with sound/music-design for theater. Next to that i,m performing live with a rapgroup and lately teamed up with some jazzmusicians as the DJ/tech-engine. I started off with a lot off analog synth stuff and samplers but the last few years only with Ableton, VST,S and midi controllers. A few years ago had to stop with music because of tinnitus and first had to learn to deal with that but now i.m back and producing on lower volumes and playing live with earprotection. Things like ableton version 8 can still make me a veeery happy.
Last edited by JAMM on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

QUAZAR

Post by QUAZAR » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:21 am

I'm the navigator of a minimal-techno-house club in the centre of Amsterdam: Studio 80. (capacity 600). We're open 5 nights a week (wednesday till sunday) with international dj's and live-acts on a weekly basis. (tonight Nick Curly from 8 Bit/Cecille), saturday a Moon Harbour Night with Martinez, Luna City Express, Boris Werner & others).
Next to that I also organise an open air festival (Welcome to the future) near Amsterdam on saturday august 1. Last year the 2nd edition of the festival attracted 7000 visitors (5 stages, with artists like Luciano, Guido Schneider, Marc Houle, Karotte, Mountain People, Heartthrob and all the happening Dutch dj's and live-acts.)
For the rest: I perform on stage with a live-act called Amsterdam 661, with 5 dj-producer friends. We improvise live with 5 synced laptops. Everybody uses Ableton live. A lot of fun.

cheers
g
Macbook Pro, 2.5 GHz (2008), OSX 10.5.6 - 4 GB RAM, RME Fireface, Akai APC40, Novation Remote, Live 8.01

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:45 am

Hi Quazar,

Good to see you still rocking out there;)
Bought one my first synths...juno 106 insprired on a QUAZAR track. I think it was seven stars.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:48 am

SubFunk wrote:Axel

ok, maybe a little text would be nice, too... :)

39 years old, having a fat rooftop party in X-berg for my 40th.
i love cats, racoons, woman, music, drugs and booze. (in no particular order!)

hated skool, but pushed myself through the A-level...

did 6 years of professional photography (advertising / fashion)
always loved music, played drums and percussion in skool days, collected records from the age of 7 (from my collected pocket money) listening to them on my dad's stereo.

-> changed to audio / sound engineering (learning by doing in my uncles company)
started DJ-ing in the early nineties, was involved with tresor related projects, had a residency in the now DnB club called Icon... when it still was the 1200, played the berlin love parade several times... started to play across europe.

got sick of berlin, moved to london, build my studio there... DJ-ed, promoted club nights in and around london.
worked a little on the side as a sound engineer for corporate events and concerts, like robby williams, beasty boys, etc.

toured through eastern europe, DJ-ing... fell in love with my current girlfriend (nearly 6 years now)
moved to slovakia, DJ-ed, did sound engineering, produced and recorded a few records for bands / electronic projects, mastered a few albums, wrote music for advertising.
created, designed, built and run with my girlfriend my own house, techno, DnB club, called Soniclab for 2 years, had a mafia asshole landlord, who made trouble with the contract, kicked us out.

moved back to berlin, with my sweetie, work in my uncles company again, everything audio related, produce, still DJ,
promote my own night called Freaked (was established as a very special night in Soniclab, see links in my signiture) first propper one in berlin will be on the 15th may. organise the berlin live user group...

and i party like a devil as much and often as i possibly can... until i drop!!!
being an unstopable workoholic when it comes to music / audio...

and have a hell lot of fun in live.

p.s. i did so much stuff, that i probably forgot half of it.
and i don't own and watch TV anymore since now over 10 years!

edit: and i LOVE very good food, luckily i have a few friends, chefs who run top class restaurants in and around town. and i share this passion with my girlfriend and loads of proper home cooking.
Last edited by SubFunk on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

QUAZAR

Post by QUAZAR » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:49 am

hi Jamm
pleased to meet you :)
Macbook Pro, 2.5 GHz (2008), OSX 10.5.6 - 4 GB RAM, RME Fireface, Akai APC40, Novation Remote, Live 8.01

QUAZAR

Post by QUAZAR » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:52 am

SubFunk wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
and i party like a devil as much and often as i possibly can... until i drop!!!
forgot to mention that too, haha

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:24 pm

and uhh, of course i spend far to much time on this addictive forum :lol:
*** Image GAFM ***

QUAZAR

Post by QUAZAR » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:30 pm

that too!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:32 pm

oops, double.
Last edited by SubFunk on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:33 pm

fingerprince wrote:45 Years old
Bass player almost since birth
Self employed computer fixer
Lots of free time - not much money (see above)
Recently bearded again
Take away the beard, add hair 3/4 way down to my arse = Me.
I've been vegetarian for 30 years.
I claim to be agnostic but my friends think I'm a buddhist.
I rarely finish anything and when I do it's never what I intended (not just talking about music).
I live in a 600 year old house with 2 cats and lots of spiders.
Wish I could afford a mid life crisis (and a machinedrum).

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:35 pm

QUAZAR wrote:I'm the navigator of a minimal-techno-house club in the centre of Amsterdam: Studio 80. (capacity 600). We're open 5 nights a week (wednesday till sunday) with international dj's and live-acts on a weekly basis. (tonight Nick Curly from 8 Bit/Cecille), saturday a Moon Harbour Night with Martinez, Luna City Express, Boris Werner & others).
Next to that I also organise an open air festival (Welcome to the future) near Amsterdam on saturday august 1. Last year the 2nd edition of the festival attracted 7000 visitors (5 stages, with artists like Luciano, Guido Schneider, Marc Houle, Karotte, Mountain People, Heartthrob and all the happening Dutch dj's and live-acts.)
For the rest: I perform on stage with a live-act called Amsterdam 661, with 5 dj-producer friends. We improvise live with 5 synced laptops. Everybody uses Ableton live. A lot of fun.

cheers
g

Nice!
*** Image GAFM ***

QUAZAR

Post by QUAZAR » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:37 pm

twisted-space wrote: I live in a 600 year old house with 2 cats and lots of spiders.
any ghosts?

(offtopic maybe, sorry)