APC competition?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
33tetragammon

Re: APC competition?

Post by 33tetragammon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:01 pm

EgAD wrote:
33tetragammon wrote:jekblad wrote:
i think this hardware/software relationship is the way of the future and we're going to have some awesome stuff in the next few years.

what's it going to evolve into an mpc or roland mv8000?
does it really matter?some people might not be into MPC's or MV8000's or whatever,and this might fit right into their ideal workflow.
different tools for different people..... :wink:

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Homebelly wrote:The more i read about machine, and the more vids i see of it up on you tube, the less i see it as competition for the APC.
To me its more like competition with the MPD's, and would be a very cool addition to an APC.
Hell.. i'm even starting to develop soe gear lust for the machine... 8O
Me too! I'll probably get both; apc for the studio and maschine for live use. I was looking into getting another hw sequencer and was considering an mpc but then i saw a few vids for maschine. It's worth checking out the demos on youtube. The thing that really appeals to me is that you can use it without been tied to the computer screen and outside of a host so would be great for capturing ideas onthe fly. Seems to ship with really good sounds as well. Good point about NIs update rate though...

Maschine next, apc after that. Haven't even upgraded to live 8 yet! :oops:
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|

LiquidFix

Post by LiquidFix » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:31 pm

having owned the mv8000 for almost two years and then selling it after it collected dust for another year (I blame live for this), the maschine pretty much does with software what I wished I could have with the MV. once I had bought live, I knew it was inevitable the mv would fall by the wayside since there's so many more options/faster work flow in software, nevermind a 7lb laptop is much more portable than a 25lb hunk of metal and circuit boards.
Live 8 Sweet, APC40, GR-20, livecontrol, PCR-300, Torq Xponent, Parker NiteFly, Logic, other assorted fun Softies plus quasi penchant for Mumbo Sauce and ability to get yuppies furiously heated within minutes.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:43 pm

I believe it's a tough competition for the APC. It's not that much more expensive, but it does way more than the APC. And it also has blinking pads representing session view. But it also has a LCD-screen, so you don't have to watch on the screen ever.

(hiding behind a tree now)

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:19 pm

Looking for stuff on maschine i came across these: http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/comp ... 552/review

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/comp ... 552/review

Read the comments underneath. I'm reading similar stuff elsewhere as well. And having checked the ni forums i think i'll be saving my money! :shock:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:34 pm

musicmachine wrote:Looking for stuff on maschine i came across these: http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/comp ... 552/review

Read the comments underneath. I'm reading similar stuff elsewhere as well. And having checked the ni forums i think i'll be saving my money! :shock:
"These" is one link BTW, to a single "comments".
Just saying. Only real drawback to Maschine I see is the lack of REX support, which really can't be for too long. My opinion is to buy products after the release date significantly. Kore 2 really made Kore a great thing, before that it was a good idea, only partially implemented.

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:41 pm

here's some competition to maschine and the apc,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JcHjDTCsfI

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:57 pm

I just got the Maschine - academic edition for 389 Euros. :D Arrived yesterday, haven't dug into it yet. I'm just thrilled that with a long USB cable I can sit in my lounge chair rather than in front of the computer. Hammer away on those rhythmic adventures.

Nice.

.m

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:00 pm

cut the cord my friend cut the cord.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:04 pm

EgAD wrote:cut the cord my friend cut the cord.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:08 pm

the wonderful thing about maschine is that in less than 2 years it will be able to use wireless midi, and be able to work with out a computer I am sure.

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:43 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
musicmachine wrote:Looking for stuff on maschine i came across these: http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/comp ... 552/review

"These" is one link BTW, to a single "comments".
Just saying. Only real drawback to Maschine I see is the lack of REX support, which really can't be for too long. My opinion is to buy products after the release date significantly. Kore 2 really made Kore a great thing, before that it was a good idea, only partially implemented.
Oops i posted the same link twice! http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/ ... -maschine/

Also: http://www.samedaymusic.com/productreview--NINMASCHINE

I usually wait a couple of years before i buy anything from NI! I've been looking for a good soft/hardware hybrid setup for a while (mc808 seemed to be the closeset thing but i read a lot of negative things about that..). Then maschine came along and i was blown away as it seems to do exactly what i've been wanting apart from standalone operation. I use a Laptop with live all the time anyway so not really an issue; the more integration the better! As it is i'll go the live 8 upgrade apc route and wait a bit on the maschine, see how things develop. :)

I don't want to be one of those irate customers posting abuse on the ni forums. No thankyou! :lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:56 pm

musicmachine wrote: I usually wait a couple of years before i buy anything from NI! I've been looking for a good soft/hardware hybrid setup for a while (mc808 seemed to be the closeset thing but i read a lot of negative things about that..). Then maschine came along and i was blown away as it seems to do exactly what i've been wanting apart from standalone operation. I use a Laptop with live all the time anyway so not really an issue; the more integration the better! As it is i'll go the live 8 upgrade apc route and wait a bit on the maschine, see how things develop. :)
Normally it's just a major upgrade away from stability. NI have improved a hell of a lot in the last couple years. Much tougher beta testing I assume, and the new model for upgrade discloser on the forums is perfect IMO.
I don't want to be one of those irate customers posting abuse on the ni forums. No thankyou! :lol:
Yeah, all forums get them, but NI get the most vicious, for sure. I go both ways with NI, great stuff, but marketing is too important to them IMO. They need to lay off the 'new', and fine tune the line up they have. Pro53 is looong in the tooth for example, and Akoustic Piano is only partially there.

continuous

Post by continuous » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:07 pm

Maschine is really fun for me... especially as I had no pads, no way to hammer in beats. It's also really easy to bang out little basic tunes on it as you have a drumkit in one group and and a basic instrument loaded in another and can sample and then slice in another group etc... i think playing these basic instruments is helping me get better at creating melodies... maybe.

Kinda sucks its gotta get stacked up against the APC... I could pretty easily see having both at some point.

One thing that it def lacks is a fully developed Live template though. For example, the current template only controls 2 sends, doesn't have a knob assigned to tempo and there are no stop buttons for clips as I believe there are with the APC. Also, it's been awhile since I watched the APC vid, but doesn't it control instrument racks pretty intuitively?

All that being said I wish one of you smart cats would write a more thorough Live controller template for Maschine as I can't figure it out.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:11 pm

continuous wrote:Maschine is really fun for me... especially as I had no pads, no way to hammer in beats. It's also really easy to bang out little basic tunes on it as you have a drumkit in one group and and a basic instrument loaded in another and can sample and then slice in another group etc... i think playing these basic instruments is helping me get better at creating melodies... maybe..

wow that sounds remarkably like another instrument that I know of but thank god for ni cause people would never have heard of such a thing :wink: :lol: