Drum Racks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evon

Drum Racks

Post by evon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:44 pm

I feel like a nube and based on my limited knowledge maybe I truly still am a newbie. However, could someone lead me to a tutorial on how to use Drum Racks.

I want to be able to create and play a virtual drum set via my Midi Keyboard and at the same time record each drum sound to a seperate track making it possible to tweak them individually.

Did a lot of research, searches, read TFM, watched the video, but have not been able to accomplish what I need to do. Also did a little fooling around with the Racks themselves. However, I have really become impatient as I want to get on with my production while the creative juices are flowing.

Anybody?
Last edited by evon on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fe real!

Jekblad

Re: Drum Racks

Post by Jekblad » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:59 pm

you are looking for the in/out section in your mixer.

create a channel for each drum you want to record separate.

Set the monitoring to "off". in in the "audio from" section select your drum rack. once you've selected your drum rack the section below that becomes enabled. That is the section where you can select each individual drum's output, you can even select before or after the effects and mixer.

After you've done that for each drum, record enable all yer channels and fly away.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

evon

Post by evon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks Jekblad, but I need you to assume that I know nothing at all about Drum Racks and all I know is only how to use Live.
I am not finding anything plausable to read that would take me from that point. That is my problem. Of course the other way is to spend hour and hours of trial and error. I need some kind of tutorial with valid examples.

I think overall this is something I need to request of the Abes for further releases. Especially in my situation where I have no support group locally. IMO a more user friendly manual and help solutions would probably go a long way for Live sales in general.
fe real!

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:04 pm

Dude, u need to know NOTHING about drumracks to accomplish what I posted. U need only understand routing within Live to do this.

Do u need help getting a drumrack started? I assumed u already had one loaded up and such. If not, go to "drumracks" in the "live devices" browser and drag in a preset to get started. U can replace any of the samples just by dragging ur sample onto the drum pad.

If u get that far u should be able to reference my other post to record those seperate sounds onto additional channels.

Fyi, u can change and tweak the sounds right where they are in the drumracks using automation. Within each drumpad of the rack is a simpler device containing the sample.

Sorry I have no vids for ya bro!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:05 pm

load up a preset drum rack, expand it's tracks (hit the little triangle next to the track's name).

open the help box (lower left corner of Live.)

hover the mouse over the boxes in the tracks and start reading.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

evon

Post by evon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:28 pm

Yes I am good with loading the Racks...but where do I get samples. Yes Tone I know about expanding the Racks and moving anyone of the chains to its own track in the set. Just dont understand where the samples come from.
Last edited by evon on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fe real!

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Ummm... You buy them. Or u find them.

Or u go to the "samples" folder in your Live library file browser, and use samples from there. Just drag em to the rack.

Check out puremagnetick.com, trackteamaudio.com, for some premade drum racks u can buy.

evon

Post by evon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:50 pm

Jekblad wrote: Or u go to the "samples" folder in your Live library file browser, and use samples from there.
Tried that before, but even then, I already knew that those samples are not for use in Live sets. Or am I wrong about this?
fe real!

x0x

Post by x0x » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:54 pm

One should not buy or download samples, learn how to make your own.

If you like a drum sound from a particular artist, locate a spot in the recording where the sound is isolated. Then, record that sound using a recording app like totalrecorder or soundforge; and record it. Now that it is recorded, trim off the space before and after your sound. You have made a sample. Save it to your hard drive somewhere you can easily find it.

Now, simply drag your newly created file into one of the 16 pads in the drum rack. All you have to do now is specify where you want it triggered, you use the piano roll for that.
Live rig: HP DV6604nr, Live 8, MAudio 1814, Virus Snow, Waldorf Blofeld
Additional Studio Equipment: Nord Lead 3, Moog Voyager, MPC2000xl, TR-808, TR-707, Soundcraft FX16, x0xb0x, Paia Phatman

evon

Post by evon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:57 pm

What about the idea of using Simpler samples?
fe real!

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:29 pm

they are for use in live sets. yes to simpler samples. yes to making your own samples.

You can find a fair amount of samples and loops for free out on the net as well.

evon

Post by evon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Jekblad wrote:they are for use in live sets. yes to simpler samples. yes to making your own samples.

You can find a fair amount of samples and loops for free out on the net as well.
OK Thanks to all..I'll be on my way. Will let you all know how I fare out. Afterall, I need an alternative to setting drum loops using Reason and FL Studios.
fe real!

timwright

Post by timwright » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:59 am

I bought the Music Tech Focus special on Live, and the very first workshop is Drum Racks. Taught me a hell of a lot about them, and would recommend it to anyone.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:43 pm

that sounds pretty cool man!

if you have anything to add here.... please do
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... s+workflow

dburns

Post by dburns » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:38 pm

x0x wrote:One should not buy or download samples, learn how to make your own.

If you like a drum sound from a particular artist, locate a spot in the recording where the sound is isolated. Then, record that sound using a recording app like totalrecorder or soundforge; and record it. Now that it is recorded, trim off the space before and after your sound. You have made a sample. Save it to your hard drive somewhere you can easily find it.

Now, simply drag your newly created file into one of the 16 pads in the drum rack. All you have to do now is specify where you want it triggered, you use the piano roll for that.
Actually, this method is more accurately called "stealing."
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill.