Do you equate Hip Hop listenership with shady activity?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Re: Do you equate Hip Hop listenership with shady activity?

Post by starving student » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:29 pm

see grey can be broken down further, you just have to be willing to go there. I love the video, you'd think that more people would be aware of rap lyrics like this after all of this time but even though we're living in the super future and have all of this technology still threads pop up all the time about the integrity of hiphop and the lack of any redeemable lyrics, it makes you wonder if all those people thinking that the only lyrics out there are like 50cents are really just people making the choice to only indulge in that type of rapmusic.

Imaulle

Post by Imaulle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:57 pm

this guy that I use to work with would always listen to a rap CD about killing babies and raping people.. pretty much the only rap I've ever heard. he said it was pretty popular stuff too :roll:

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:51 am

Imaulle wrote:this guy that I use to work with would always listen to a rap CD about killing babies and raping people.. pretty much the only rap I've ever heard. he said it was pretty popular stuff too :roll:
that's quite funny. what would you have done if he told you to eat a baby or rape someone haha, you now have the opportunity to make a better choice, try the rap lyrics in the vid posted up above.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:41 am

Wow, Beats came up with one of the best troll threads ever, and I don't think he was even trying

17 pages strong and still going

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:48 am

People who listen to hip hop are shady.

People who listen to Sarah Brightman are gay.

People who listen to Dave Matthews are white.

People who listen to country are white and ignorant.

This is fun, let's do more.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:52 am

john doe by choice wrote:Wow, Beats came up with one of the best troll threads ever, and I don't think he was even trying

17 pages strong and still going

but what would it be called before the internet existed? :wink:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:11 am

leisuremuffin wrote: however, even if you can defend a position of thinking that his lyrics are retarded, you cannot then judge a person because they listen to it.
/thread.

I'm headed to SF next week to see Throbbing Gristle. The first single from them was a fist person account of home invasion, death torture and mutilation mapped out in gory detail. This was 1975. My vocalist writes things as fucked up at times, it's called artistic license and range. It's why my only comment to beats me was and is, that he's become a little old lady. Music, and music fans have become scary to him. Poor little thing, we need to buy him a nice new alarm system for his apartment, or chip in for his retirement home fund.
Don't remember his age, but I guess around 32, as it's when a lot of people start in on thinking that 20 something kids are scary!
I don't fully equate his retardation with hip hop, as my guess is if he was in the same head space in 1981 and a group of AC/DC fans moved in next door he would be posting about hard rock fans. It does add a nice layer of white bread angst to it though. :wink:

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:48 am

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:53 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote: however, even if you can defend a position of thinking that his lyrics are retarded, you cannot then judge a person because they listen to it.
/thread.

I'm headed to SF next week to see Throbbing Gristle. The first single from them was a fist person account of home invasion, death torture and mutilation mapped out in gory detail. This was 1975. My vocalist writes things as fucked up at times, it's called artistic license and range. It's why my only comment to beats me was and is, that he's become a little old lady. Music, and music fans have become scary to him. Poor little thing, we need to buy him a nice new alarm system for his apartment, or chip in for his retirement home fund.
Don't remember his age, but I guess around 32, as it's when a lot of people start in on thinking that 20 something kids are scary!
I don't fully equate his retardation with hip hop, as my guess is if he was in the same head space in 1981 and a group of AC/DC fans moved in next door he would be posting about hard rock fans. It does add a nice layer of white bread angst to it though. :wink:
/and scene

cue Fleetwood Mac

roll credits

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 pm

in honor of that Harvard prof. who got arrested for going home :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:24 am

Alright, I'll bite.

I have to admit I don't know the details of the story but have gotten ear fulls of opinions on radio and TV. What I find disturbing and hilarious is that the biggest and loudest opinions have very little to do with the actual event and more to do with history over the last 100 years as if they were just waiting for any opportunity to go on a diatribe about racism.

Is that somewhat hypocritical given the nature of this thread and the fact I started it? No. It's completely hypocritical.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:45 am

Call me a sick fuck, but this is one of my most favorite threads ever.

Thanks for necro jacking it on my birthday. I'm 32 and i'm scared of hip hop too now.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:22 am

leisuremuffin wrote:Call me a sick fuck, but this is one of my most favorite threads ever.

Thanks for necro jacking it on my birthday. I'm 32 and i'm scared of hip hop too now.

.lm.
Happy birthday lm, you sick fuck!

I don't think you and I have ever had any sincere personal attacks on each other back and forth, but you sure know how to tickle the haters. I picture you, as most of the over the top personalities on here, as easy enough to get along with in the real world but we all need a place to go to stir shit up to keep ourselves sane. Nobody is that completely easygoing or mild mannered all the time, and when people are like that they usually end up getting stabbed repeatedly in the chest for my entertainment on the Discovery ID channel.

Cheers to your 32!

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:35 am

beats me wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:Call me a sick fuck, but this is one of my most favorite threads ever.

.lm.
Happy birthday lm, you sick fuck!

I don't think you and I have ever had any sincere personal attacks on each other back and forth, but you sure know how to tickle the haters. I picture you, as most of the over the top personalities on here, as easy enough to get along with in the real world but we all need a place to go to stir shit up to keep ourselves sane. Nobody is that completely easygoing or mild mannered all the time, and when people are like that they usually end up getting stabbed repeatedly in the chest for my entertainment on the Discovery ID channel.

Cheers to your 32!
Get a room, gaylords!

Edit: Happy Birthday from the land of prisoners.