do you feel guilty using loops you didnt make?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
melocoton

Re: do you feel guilty using loops you didnt make?

Post by melocoton » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:00 am

Emissary wrote:How many good electronic artists dont use samples though seriously?
Pretty much all of them IMO!

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:10 am

melocoton wrote:
Emissary wrote:How many good electronic artists dont use samples though seriously?
Names or stfu! :lol:

How about successful electronic artists? :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:57 am

Loops are like clip art in graphic design. They can be used creatively in the project as bits and pieces of their original self, they can be used as secondary bits to compliment the main bits you've created, they can be used as a tool to speed production on paying projects when time frame and low budgets don't allow for more, or they can be a total cop out.

It all depends on how you use them. Either use them or don't.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:09 am

I once downloaded a zip somewhere with 20something rearranged amenloops of which i've used quite a few in finished songs (layering extra kick, snare, hats, on top). Though by now I've used all the ones that appealed to me, so now I've gone to slicing to midi and rearanging them again myself.
Apart from that I have one song that included a drum loop (completely mangled using beat repeat) & 2 music loops from the solid sounds livepack.

Beyond these two I only use loops for inspiratrion / temporary filling. i.e. if I've programed a synth or made an nice acid line and want to see how it sounds with a beat while I continue tweaking it, but then replace them with my own loops further along the way. Or as a sidechain source for gating synths.

+ Now and then when I don't feel like just passivly listening to music but am not in the right mood to make something of my own I load loads of loops on 8 audio channel and just play around a bit. Wouldn't call this making music though and wouldn't take credit for creating a song, I see it more as a type of extreme DJing

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:25 pm

The great thing about Live is the way you can mangle, slice and rearrange samples so there are no excuses! I've been demoing Guru and each time i use i find myself layering a break with some of the stuff that come with it but they sound so damn good! I'm just auditioning the sample content but i can see how it would be easy to fall into a trap of using the canned loops that Guru ships with and i think that's a problem with a lot of software. Reason ships with loads of loops in the factory refill so it kinda encourages laziness. You could paint by numbers with that program and not have a musical bone in your body! :lol:
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:40 pm

Personally I can't quite bring myself to do use library loops. Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I just like to roll my own stuff from scratch.
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:43 pm

all car & baking analogies should be ditched in favour of prostitution analogies.

GO!
spreader of butter

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:01 pm

musicmachine wrote:
melocoton wrote:
Names or stfu! :lol:

How about successful electronic artists? :wink:
yeah give me some names. And not some IDM crap with whispy sounds that no one likes except other IDM artists, I'm talking big names, Orbital, Prodigy, Chemical brothers, Aphex twin, etc, Their is a reason these acts are successful and thats because they concentrate on creating a feeling and connection within their fans rather than exercising their own egos.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Along with Emissary's point, Here's a very obvious one: the primary success of hip hop is the use of recognizable samples, (melodies, basses, vocals and drums), paired with "rap" or new vox.

That, (incredibly lame) genre wouldn't exist without sampling.

Okay back OT. 8)
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:06 pm

hell no.....

i spend hours cleaning up the vinyl loop i sampled and making sure all the pops and crackles are gone....

then i spend hours using a spectrum analyzer evening out frequencies.

then i spend time chopping things up in mono

then i get my catholic guilt kicking in, so i just learn how to play the loop by my own damn self by studying the playing patterns....

so no
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:10 pm

ChiDJ wrote:Along with Emissary's point, Here's a very obvious one: the primary success of hip hop is the use of recognizable samples, (melodies, basses, vocals and drums), paired with "rap" or new vox.

Okay back OT. 8)

i'm a hardcore hiphop head and i 100% agree with this.....

but in order for the music to evolve people need to stop copying other producer's styles and get back to playing instruments....kinda like the Jackson 5
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:46 pm

v00d00ppl wrote:
ChiDJ wrote:Along with Emissary's point, Here's a very obvious one: the primary success of hip hop is the use of recognizable samples, (melodies, basses, vocals and drums), paired with "rap" or new vox.

Okay back OT. 8)

i'm a hardcore hiphop head and i 100% agree with this.....
You're a hardcore hiphop head but you agree that it's an incredibly lame genre?

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:02 pm

dazzer wrote:
You're a hardcore hiphop head but you agree that it's an incredibly lame genre?
sans incredibly part.........

there's all this technology and audio knowledge built up through teh years, but not too many people try to push the envelope.

if you start listening to hiphop from 1978-2000, you notice there is always something driving it to the next level.

now it's just a bunch of dudes wearing skinny jeans

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:38 pm

I can admit I'm no sound designer and some people are better at it than me.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Quez

Post by Quez » Sat May 04, 2013 10:59 pm

It does feel cheap to me to do so (personally).
I have no problem with others using loops.
Some of the artists I love do use loops, I think.

The only "Loop" i ever used is more of a sample, for my track called Anneliese... its an exorcism tape recording excerpt.

I haven't closed the door to loops or samples anyway.