what's being played in the clubs now??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aisling

Re: what's being played in the clubs now??

Post by aisling » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:34 pm

beats me wrote:I once was chatting it up with a couple ladies at a bar for a couple hours with drinks o'plenty and things seemed to be going well. Towards the end of the night some younger, slicker dude comes waltzing up and within 10 minutes undid all the hours of legwork I put in. I politely removed myself from the circle and went home. No harm done.

When I got home a car pulled up behind me and when I got out of my car one of the chicks I was talking to at the bar got out of the car and from the inside of her car I heard the other one go "Oh shit, wrong car!". I asked her if they wanted to come in and she said "no thanks" and got back in her car and took off.

I thought I left the bar fairly unscathed and the whole time never even insinuated I wanted to hook up beyond that. Younger party boy pretty much slammed shut that window of opportunity on me at the end of the night, but who the fuck has somebody follow them home just to blow them off??

I dare you to top that.
I was 16 one summer in NJ, my buddy and I were walking around late about 1:00am (things stay hoping until 4:00 am in the summer) we passed this late night hot dog stand that people would hit up after the bars. This uptown chick in her late 30's-40's, in a convertible Mercedes pulls up next to us (she was drunk) and says that she has to get fucked right now, and to show her our dicks......she lifted up her dress (no panties) for good faith. Being willing, helpful and obliging young american boys, we dropped them right then and there.....She looked at both of us and laughed.....then drove off...... :oops:
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:39 pm

aisling wrote:
beats me wrote:I once was chatting it up with a couple ladies at a bar for a couple hours with drinks o'plenty and things seemed to be going well. Towards the end of the night some younger, slicker dude comes waltzing up and within 10 minutes undid all the hours of legwork I put in. I politely removed myself from the circle and went home. No harm done.

When I got home a car pulled up behind me and when I got out of my car one of the chicks I was talking to at the bar got out of the car and from the inside of her car I heard the other one go "Oh shit, wrong car!". I asked her if they wanted to come in and she said "no thanks" and got back in her car and took off.

I thought I left the bar fairly unscathed and the whole time never even insinuated I wanted to hook up beyond that. Younger party boy pretty much slammed shut that window of opportunity on me at the end of the night, but who the fuck has somebody follow them home just to blow them off??

I dare you to top that.
I was 16 one summer in NJ, my buddy and I were walking around late about 1:00am (things stay hoping until 4:00 am in the summer) we passed this late night hot dog stand that people would hit up after the bars. This uptown chick in her late 30's-40's, in a convertible Mercedes pulls up next to us (she was drunk) and says that she has to get fucked right now, and to show her our dicks......she lifted up her dress (no panties) for good faith. Being willing, helpful and obliging young american boys, we dropped them right then and there.....She looked at both of us and laughed.....then drove off...... :oops:

GrooveNinja

Post by GrooveNinja » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:00 pm

I find that all of the clubs that I have been to play the same boring hip-hop crap. It is either so slow that it is undanceable, or just the same, constant tempo boom-boom-boom-boom for hours. As someone who can actually dance, and not just stomp side to side or gyrate with my hands in the air like an orangutang in heat, I find this rather frustrating. What happened to rhythm in music? Anyway, last week I went to this Latin club, hoping to hear some good, dancable music, and all they played was the same boring boom-boom-boom-boom hip-hop, except that the lyrics were in Spanish! I thought that after 40 minutes of an empty dance floor, the DJ might get a clue and play some salsa or mambo, but obviously he was a git.

the_woof

Post by the_woof » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:23 am

aisling wrote:I was 16 one summer in NJ, my buddy and I were walking around late about 1:00am (things stay hoping until 4:00 am in the summer)
Where in NJ do things stay hopping until 4 in the summer? I'm 18 and live in NJ and have to go to other states for good late-night music...
djsynchro wrote:For a female vocal try companding a mid-side encoded signal with a ratio of around 18:2 at around 2.5k, possibly a lower ratio if the source is very sibilant.
my music

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:36 am

the_woof wrote:
aisling wrote:I was 16 one summer in NJ, my buddy and I were walking around late about 1:00am (things stay hoping until 4:00 am in the summer)
Where in NJ do things stay hopping until 4 in the summer? I'm 18 and live in NJ and have to go to other states for good late-night music...
Up until 99 when I left the AC (atlantic city- margate) area and moved out west, last call was at 3:30 am. Were talking dance clubs, not live music!
Where in nj are you?
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:47 am

beats me wrote:but who the fuck has somebody follow them home just to blow them off??

I dare you to top that.
:lol:

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:54 am

GrooveNinja wrote: It is either so slow that it is undanceable, or just the same, constant tempo boom-boom-boom-boom for hours. As someone who can actually dance, and not just stomp side to side or gyrate with my hands in the air like an orangutang in heat, I find this rather frustrating. What happened to rhythm in music?
Good point! You need some syncopation to really dance beyond stomping on the 4/4 or doing the pogo!

I guess the dealio is that so many people have been brainwashed into thinking that they can't dance, that the most popular dance music is actually NOT really for dancing to!
:mrgreen:

Before everyone goes ape on me, let me assure you that deep down I do understand that dancing is 'subjective'. It's just that there is quite a difference between some genuinely creative, inspired, & talented dancing & just stomping around.

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:56 am

oblique strategies wrote:
beats me wrote:but who the fuck has somebody follow them home just to blow them off??
It happens :D

Well but I think the first rule EVER is never buy girls drinks (unless they are your friends of course, and you don't want anything sexual from them).
It's better if you can refuse in a fun way. It's even better if you can make HER buy you a drink. Then basicaly, it's won. It happened to me and I'm far from being the best looking guy around (very far actually ;-) ) so I guess it's possible for anybody :-D

If you want to spend money on a woman you met 5 minutes ago, go to see a wh**e, it's gonna be cheaper, faster and you'll get laid for sure ;-)

the_woof

Post by the_woof » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:33 pm

aisling wrote:Where in nj are you?
I'm about 10 minutes from Princeton... that's probably my problem.
djsynchro wrote:For a female vocal try companding a mid-side encoded signal with a ratio of around 18:2 at around 2.5k, possibly a lower ratio if the source is very sibilant.
my music

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:56 pm

annadyne wrote:the prob i am finding with much of the hyped e-produced music is that a lot of songs are one cool loop - looped too many times with nothing more than maybe a few random samples or effects thrown on top like sprinkle cheese on a pizza.

and that a lot of work lacks depth, emotion and development. i'm all for the party tunes but when i'm not partying i need works that speak to me. or sometimes it sounds like people are trying too hard to be different instead of just letting the music flow out them like a deep breath. i come from a background of punk, goth, ambient, jazz, classical, industrial having had hundreds of vinyls in my collection, going back to the early 90s.

one of the things i dream about a lot is finding new artists whose work makes me want to buy it. i WANT to give them my money.
there are good artists out there but it has been quite a time-consuming effort to find new inspiring ones.

ok maybe this didn't quite fit in this topic but i'm sure some of yous guys understand my sentiments.

Hey, i used to feel exactly the same way about techno. It all sounded like 2 bar loops with some effects or washes thrown on. And you know what? For a lot of it, that's true. But there is also some stuff out there that is almost perfectly made. Y'know, techno isn't supposed to be about a complete song that you listen to discretely, it's made with the intention of being played by a dj as a part of a set. Once I understood that, i found i was able to pick out the stuff that was done really well. And i think that it is a legitimate art form that is beyond "just partying." It took me a long time to get to that opinion, I come from a similar background as you, I got into electronic music through the academic, industrial and IDM branches before the dance stuff.

let me give you a few suggestions to check out:

Morgan Packard - Really great stuff, and his record "Airships fill the sky" is full of accordion, a real soft spot for me. This stuff does actually work as discrete songs, it's not really a "techno" record at all. I'm 100% sure you will like this record.

Deadbeat - All of his stuff is really good. really good. Most of it isn't techno at all, it's modern dub, really. and i don't mean just "dub techno" he really gets the feel and a arrangement of real dub records.

Monolake - If you haven't heard a Monolake record, you really need to do it. Check out "momentum" and "polygon cities." Neither record is a "techno" record, but both have a techno track or two on them. I think these records really show how much you can do with just a few elements as long as everything evolves and flows. Not usually in a traditional song kind of way though, i think that the arrangements and flow are perfect examples of how techno tracks should evolve even when he's not doing techno.

once you get that stuff, you are probably ready to try some more straight techno:

Matthew Dear (particularly as FALSE and audion) He's a modern legend for a reason. The Audion tracks are just amazing. I think you'd get it at least from the perspective of someone who likes synthesizers. And dropped at the right place in a DJ mix they will really fuck shit up. Just give it a shot, i think its some of the best techno stuff out there.

Troy Pierce / louderbach As louderbach, his track "Grance (anxiety)" Is almost perfect as a DJ element. Simple, fucked up, lots of spots where it breathes and them kicks back in. tension / release over and over again. I don't think it's really that great if you just listen to it without understanding that you would use it as an element in a mix though. But once you get that idea, it's fucking brilliant. It's also dated in terms of the sound quality, he has a ton of stuff that sounds way better, but that track just has awesome arrangement. And really, most of his stuff has really good sound design and feel.

eh, i guess i'll stop. But there really is tons more techno stuff out there that is really good once you get the point of it. For me, listening to that in-between stuff helped me get it. Of course there is also a shitload of horrible stuff.... just like any artform, most stuff sucks and you have to wade through it to find the good stuff. For good DJ mixes and live sets of dance stuff, check out the bunker podcast. http://beyondbooking.com/podcast.asp obv they are my friends and i'm sort of biased, but i think there is a really good selection there.

and i don't think i really answered your post (i don't think you were just talking about techno), but i'm just trying to spread the word about techno to other people who were like me.

.lm.

ps, i still want to steal your electrocomp.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

frequentare

Post by frequentare » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:55 pm

check out dirtybird records and mothership

this is the real deal