Ableton 8 forgets to activate automation information

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
TE1973

Ableton 8 forgets to activate automation information

Post by TE1973 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi,

I'm using Kore 2 Software Edition as a plug-in in Ableton
Live 8.
When I record MIDI from Kore 2, Ableton is also recording
the variations x and y that I carry out with the mouse in Kore.
The variantions are stored as automations in live. This is working fine. When I playback the midi the automation is also played.

But: When I save the Live Set in Ableton and load it again, the automations have no effect any more. They are still there, you can see the automation information, but the automations for Kore 2 are greyed out. The small rectangle is grey instead of red.
Workaround: If I record some seconds with Kore again, the automations are active again. But this annoying. I don't want to always record some dummy seconds of midi to reactivate the automation in the already finished track.
Does somebody else have the same problem? Is it Kore or Ableton not working correctly?

Regrads, Torben

hoffman2k

Re: Ableton 8 forgets to activate automation information

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm guessing you need to press the "Back to arrangement" button. Its the button in the transport bar that is turned red. Its turned red because your automation turned gray. Pressing the BTA button will undo any changes you made while in Session view and arrangement will play back exactly what is there.

Each time you change something in Session and you want to go back to how the arrangement sounded, you need to press the BTA button.

TE1973

Post by TE1973 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:52 pm

Thanks, now it's working!
Sorry, I'm a beginner.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:46 pm

hoffman2k wrote:I'm guessing you need to press the "Back to arrangement" button. Its the button in the transport bar that is turned red. Its turned red because your automation turned gray. Pressing the BTA button will undo any changes you made while in Session view and arrangement will play back exactly what is there.

Each time you change something in Session and you want to go back to how the arrangement sounded, you need to press the BTA button.
I know this is going to sound completely retarded, but I had NO CLUE you could do that.Until you just stated this, I had never thought of the BTA button as an instant "session undo". Of course it makes "common sense" from the strictest "on the fly" definition of the function itself, but I had always thought of the arrangement view as the final destination for spontaneously recorded multi tracked sessions. A place where the clips could be mixed, "best arranged" and then rendered to a final composite audio file before mastering.

I have known about the back to arrangement button since I first started using Live 5. I just figured it was a means by which you were alerted to the fact that not all the clips currently playing were arrangement based as to keep things less confusing.

So what you are stating here is that when I record various session clips that are being spontaneously documented and automated into the arrangement view and I go back and screw with the automation that's saved initially within the arrangement via dabbling in the session view in real time thereafter, if I save the set after said dabbling takes place either as a new set or merely an addition to the same set, the original automation is always retained in the arrangement unless it's specifically deleted? A thousand session remixes later, one would still have the option of returning to the original arrangement's automation and subsequent musical time line, correct?

Whereby if I open up the same saved set and launch a previously saved scene in a session view initially, and then hit the BTA button, the original automation resumes in arrangement at that precise point in the transport's time line?

If this is the case, this opens up a completely new perspective for me with respect to midi controlled live performance.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:04 pm

The arrangement only remembers the arrangement you can see. Once you record new stuff into the arrangement, the new stuff becomes part of the arrangement.
Its not a master undo button that allows you to go back to earlier arrangements.

coran

Post by coran » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:02 am

<3 you for this answer