pops/clicks where clips meet - Live 8 cross fade problem?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
TheFreq

pops/clicks where clips meet - Live 8 cross fade problem?

Post by TheFreq » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:46 am

So I loaded up a set Im working on in Live. I have a guitar part that is 4 bars long that repeats over a long section of the song. when soloing it I noticed that between each clip there was an obvious click or pop sound. Its not 100% reproducible but it happens most of the time. CPU usage is very low at 20% and there is no other plug ins/vst's on this track.

What is concerning is that I can load the same set in Live 7, solo the same section and it is smooth as butter, it never clicks or pops. Are there any known issues like this with Live 8 and cross fades? Paranoid I started listening to other sections of cut up drums and a few other tracks and have noticed it as well, always between two clips. If I extend the cross fade out I can make it go away, but the fade becomes noticeable. Also I did try consolidating a few clips and it printed the pops and clicks to the consolidated file. If it is printing this to my renders then this is a HUGE deal breaker for using live 8. Which sucks cause I love the new group tracks and additions.

As a temporary work around I have looped the guitar part, rather than copying and pasting multiple clips, and this worked without pops or clicks.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,
the freq

maximecescau

Re: pops/clicks where clips meet - Live 8 cross fade problem?

Post by maximecescau » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:49 pm

Got the same problem here.
Really confused because as per the manual, everything is in order.
Checked the preferences and everything. 4ms fade at end of clips as standard.
Even when adjusting the fades manually, pops remain.

M

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:45 am

I'm having the same problem. Extremely low cpu usage (5 to 10%) with no VST's running at all, just an instance of EQ8 and Auto Filter in parallel in an effect rack.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:00 am

TheFreq wrote:So I loaded up a set Im working on in Live. I have a guitar part that is 4 bars long that repeats over a long section of the song. when soloing it I noticed that between each clip there was an obvious click or pop sound. Its not 100% reproducible but it happens most of the time. CPU usage is very low at 20% and there is no other plug ins/vst's on this track.

What is concerning is that I can load the same set in Live 7, solo the same section and it is smooth as butter, it never clicks or pops. Are there any known issues like this with Live 8 and cross fades? Paranoid I started listening to other sections of cut up drums and a few other tracks and have noticed it as well, always between two clips. If I extend the cross fade out I can make it go away, but the fade becomes noticeable. Also I did try consolidating a few clips and it printed the pops and clicks to the consolidated file. If it is printing this to my renders then this is a HUGE deal breaker for using live 8. Which sucks cause I love the new group tracks and additions.

As a temporary work around I have looped the guitar part, rather than copying and pasting multiple clips, and this worked without pops or clicks.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,
the freq
Yes I just logged in to attempt to create a thread about this but I saw this at the top.
My problem is so much with crossfading two clips, but with just the way clip fading is now handled.
I am noticing the click problem in single one shot clips particularly on tracks that were created with earlier versions of live. This is probably because in Live 8 there is no more Clip Fade Button and its now all handled through the track automation "Fades" menu. Only problem is that it's causing very obvious clicks at the fade point, ie; the node at which the fade begins. Only problem is no matter where I move the node in the clip the click sound will still happen. Definitely a bug.
I hope this issue is being addressed in the new bug fix beta update.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:27 am

+1

Opened some projecrs i was working on in 7 and some parts edges have clicks in 8 where in 7 they sound fine.

maximecescau

Post by maximecescau » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:58 am

Yup.
In my opinion definitely a bug.
Have submitted it to support.

Managed to open the same project (pre Live 8 save) on an older version running Live 7.
No glitches whatsoever. No pops. Smooth as butt-butter cream.

I noticed this problem particularly when you consolidate. It will print the pops (mostly at the end of a clip)

Really sucks. Having to go in manually and delete every little glitch. Pain.
Hope they sort this out, this is a MAJOR issue!

m

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri May 01, 2009 8:16 pm

maximecescau wrote:I noticed this problem particularly when you consolidate.

Definitely. The pop doesn't show up in the waveform, but it's definitely there, and it peaks in whatever track you are using.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

crazybreaks

Post by crazybreaks » Mon May 04, 2009 8:12 pm

Hey guys... this issue has been plaguing me also!!! I actually thought it was something wrong with my setup or something but hearing all the reports here completely echo my experience. CPU low... just a few audio clips running, no plugins, no latency issue as far as I can see. Has to be the worst bug I have noticed and it's already killed a few of my tunes (most annoyed :(). I thought it was a latency issue as fiddling with latency helps a little bit but I've noticed that as soon as I do pitch shifting etc the problems start to surface. Then I consolidate clips without always hearing the clicks/pops (They can be quite subtle) and ta da... yet another tune gets screwed unless I can find older original recordings. Some of these pops and clicks, once they appear are near impossible to get rid of. I can delete the clips that are problematic... duplicate a clip where it isn't a problem.... put it back to the same place as the shagged clip and once again the clicks/appear at the exact point where they were before. Horrible horrible bug....

BTW I am running Ableton 8.0.1 on mac OSX Leopard 1.5.3 ... Soundcard is a USB one (XStation25)

PS I believe the way Ableton 8 handles fades definitely has something to do with this. Sometimes upon consolidating clips into bigger loops the clicks go away... sometimes they get recorded into the loops :(. Once I go chopping crazy then the problems really start surfacing and it doesn't look like Zeroing issues here. I am going to try to turn off the automatic fading to see if that helps. I've got to find a better workaround for this. This bug has infected all my new tunes till now (all 3 of them)!

EDIT: Found out how to remove the fades and that makes the clicks happen at the end of every single clip cut. So that is not the solution. I also found that this is also a bit of a random issue. I managed to manually fix the fades (having removed them for a particular problem section). I then went around trying to play with all fades in a particular bass riff loop and found that, while the loop was playing, I could actually hear cracks/pops by just moving the fade handles (note the clicks/pops were heard while I was actually listening to another part of the riff... this crackling happend when it should not have). In doing this experiment I managed to "break" the same riff in another area. Only way to fix? Find a good version of the riff and copy it over the broken parts.

EDIT: Are the users here reporting the problem using the latest beta or 8.0.1 like me? I noticed this on the bugfix list for 8.0.2 B1: Under certain conditions, Arranger crossfades would produces clicks in the audio.... I hope this resolve the issue.... Will report back tomorrow when I've had a go with the new beta version. Fingers crossed Ableton support are one step ahead of us with the latest beta version....

crazybreaks

Post by crazybreaks » Tue May 05, 2009 11:16 pm

replying to myself... godamnit... the beta has not fixed the issue at all. This is a killer bug. I think I am going to switch back to Ableton7. This is unworkable. Ableton corp... any chance you can address this? It's making a mockery of the fade feature and putting me off Ableton8 in a big way. Love the groove quantize... loving new warp mode... hating the fades/clicks/pops that have ruined all my tunes to date. Cheers.

audiovoid

Post by audiovoid » Wed May 06, 2009 12:17 am

crazybreaks wrote:replying to myself... godamnit... the beta has not fixed the issue at all. This is a killer bug. I think I am going to switch back to Ableton7. This is unworkable. Ableton corp... any chance you can address this? It's making a mockery of the fade feature and putting me off Ableton8 in a big way. Love the groove quantize... loving new warp mode... hating the fades/clicks/pops that have ruined all my tunes to date. Cheers.
I hope that you (and everybody else) have also posted this on the beta forum area. It is there that they will be more closely monitoring comments about bugs and problems. I havn't even had the chance to install and try out the 8.02 beta yet but I need to hurry up and do it so I can add my voice about these ongoing bugs and hopefully have ableton finally take notice.
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

swivet

Post by swivet » Wed May 06, 2009 10:31 am

Same here. If you consolidate each of the clips butting against each other it will sometimes fix the glitching. Really annoying though for sure.
Live 8.0.3, Mac Pro 8 Core, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.7

orgul

Post by orgul » Wed May 06, 2009 10:43 am

same here! has ableton done anything about this yet in the new beta verson?

I went back to 7. Live 8 is not usable for at this point...

arielgraff

Post by arielgraff » Thu May 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Did anyone find any remedies to this? I am not using any crossfaders, but I am getting random pops (like something electrical exploded) and clicks during my mixes!

I found that if you render using "render as loop" then it helps the problem a little. Can someone please advise!?

I thought it was my Firewire Interface, but it is not (I tried both Firebox and ProFire610 with same results!).

orgul

Post by orgul » Fri May 08, 2009 4:21 pm

is this solved with 8.02 ?

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:06 pm

orgul wrote:is this solved with 8.02 ?

I couldn't get my set to clip or pop anymore with 8.02. That seems to be fine.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-