I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. Am I Missing Out?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LoopStationZebra

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. Am I Missing Out?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:59 pm

Am I missing out on a Life Changing experience? I get asked about 5 times a week now if I'm on either of these things. All of my family is on them. Friends. Neighbors. Co-Workers. Drives me crazy. It feels as if there is a huge secret, and that I'm the only one not in on the benefits and thrills.

The thing is, I'm a geek. I love gadgets and the internet and all things digital. But I have zero interest in these online things. They appear to be personal bulletin boards, but people talk about them as if they've just found Jesus on the Internet. My first experience with this crap was checking out MySpace. I hate MySpace. The layout, the design, the shitty music player. Maybe that's what turned me off for all future sites. *shrug* Hmm. Describing the shit I just took an intimate detail might be kind of interesting on Twitter but,...... ?

What is it? Am I the crazy one for having no interest?
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Android Bishop

Re: I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. Am I Missing Out?

Post by Android Bishop » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:10 pm

twitter is worthless, but I think facebook is pretty handy.

dmcm

Post by dmcm » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:17 pm

facebook is worthless, but i think twitter is handy.

;)

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:28 pm

Facebook has all of twitter's functionality built into it (wall posts) in addition to all the other stuff it does, so using twitter is redundant.

aisling

Post by aisling » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:34 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Am I missing out on a Life Changing experience? I get asked about 5 times a week now if I'm on either of these things. All of my family is on them. Friends. Neighbors. Co-Workers. Drives me crazy. It feels as if there is a huge secret, and that I'm the only one not in on the benefits and thrills.

The thing is, I'm a geek. I love gadgets and the internet and all things digital. But I have zero interest in these online things. They appear to be personal bulletin boards, but people talk about them as if they've just found Jesus on the Internet. My first experience with this crap was checking out MySpace. I hate MySpace. The layout, the design, the shitty music player. Maybe that's what turned me off for all future sites. *shrug* Hmm. Describing the shit I just took an intimate detail might be kind of interesting on Twitter but,...... ?

What is it? Am I the crazy one for having no interest?
I share a lot of your sentiments. I broke down and did the my space thing thinking people actually listen to the music, and I could "network" (I knew the compression on the player would dilute the music quality, but figured wtf)....I really don't think they do pretty often. Maybe 1 out of ten.
Face-book just seems like big high-school/college reunion. I rather somebody pick up the phone and reach out to a motherfucker..... maybe I resist, because I am not rich, happy and successful as the rest of the world I would have to interact with on facebook......
Twitter????? sounds like a cartoon my 2 year old would want to watch.....
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:47 pm

Facebook is an abomination, all those 'what book do you read?!?!?!?! MAYBE WE READ THE SAME BOOK AND LIKE IT?!?!?!?!?' polls make me angry. And all the 'buy a pixelated clipart picture of a cabbage - AND SEND IT TO YOUR MATES?!?!?!LOL!' also make me angry. And basically all the copypasta all those poncey cunts keep forwarding to each other makes me angry too. So I avoid it like the plague.
spreader of butter

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:57 pm

I think they're a 'generation Y' thing. the generation that grew up not knowing what life was like without teh interweb. instant access to everything, attention whoring via blogs, myspace, youtube, twitter, facebook, all those things. having a texting phone since they knew how to use a phone, always wired into the web. tools for attention whores with motivations that I just don't get. I whore here too much but I like to hear from other people, I loathe blogging, I see them as a cry for help by lonely people, "look at me!!" some people just see it as sharing.

these days it's a given that every company has a facebook entry, a wikipedia page and a twitter.

it's part of the modern world that I just don't get.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:59 pm

Twitter is a rather powerful tool. It can highlight trends and events instantly.

One example of how useful twitter is: Last week I released a video and posted it in the appropriate section, which is the tips and tricks section. Knowing that the general forum would get me more views.
I want my video to be seen by as many Live users as possible. But I also want to the Tips and Tricks section to be an actual tips and tricks section.
So I posted a link to my video on twitter.
Within hours we broke a new personal record on hits on a video.
Subsequently the video link got "retweeted" by people with hundreds or even thousands of followers.

Lesson here = Regardless of what you think of this forum. Its only a small part of the actual Ableton Live community. Which--

Argh.. Somebody get Malcolm Gladwell to explain this..

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:00 pm

This forum pretty much serves all my one-stop-shop attention whore needs. If you could add a streaming music player to your signature I'd probably cancel my myspace account.

digitalgeist

Post by digitalgeist » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:16 pm

Meh, you can promote your music on there, last.fm, twitter, and all over the web so there are some redeemable aspects. My grandma has a Facebook account. 8O

But when you get to the point where the stuff ends up ridiculous like 10 sites, a tool like posterous helps out. Posterous will post the same info (say, a txt message from my mobile phone) to your twitter, facebook, livejournal, blogger, flickr (if it's a pic); etc. Saving lots of time crossposting.
edit - it would help if i linked to posterous, wouldn't it?
http://posterous.com/

Also Facebook allows you to slave itself to an RSS feed (so does last.fm) so your updates to your blog/whatnot will be autoposted as well.

Work smarter, not harder. :)
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Oh dude, the sex is amazing!

gjm

Post by gjm » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:37 pm

I use Facebook to play Bubble Spinner, and to check out my kids friends.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

teknobryan

Post by teknobryan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:47 pm

I like Twitter to follow my favorite dj's/producers. Sometimes you can get some studio tips...

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:47 pm

gjm wrote:I use Facebook to play Bubble Spinner, and to check out my kids friends.
Not sure how you buggers party down under, but here, we call that "Straight Up Perv"

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:50 pm

b0unce wrote:Facebook is an abomination, all those 'what book do you read?!?!?!?! MAYBE WE READ THE SAME BOOK AND LIKE IT?!?!?!?!?' polls make me angry. And all the 'buy a pixelated clipart picture of a cabbage - AND SEND IT TO YOUR MATES?!?!?!LOL!' also make me angry. And basically all the copypasta all those poncey cunts keep forwarding to each other makes me angry too. So I avoid it like the plague.
It does foster extreme narcissism -which, frankly, I do not believe is helping people. You miss a lot when endlessly gazing into a mirror...

In the right hands however, these tools reveal just how powerful they are in helping people.

Guess it depends on how they are used.