am i the only one who isn't excited about the apc40

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Re: am i the only one who isn't excited about the apc40

Post by starving student » Sat May 02, 2009 12:35 am

that's a fucking genius idea beatsme, remember you came up with it and you better get a free one :idea:

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat May 02, 2009 12:36 am

that bcr would go really well to control hardware, I've seen some clips of people using the bcr to control some very cool things and hard to get at gear

continuous

Post by continuous » Sat May 02, 2009 1:02 am

Ya I'm undecided about the bcr... though I doubt I'll add much more hardware than the x-station, kp3 and p-bass. Sorry rambling about my setup... I'm pretty excited about it and getting it all integrated onto on old typewriter stand.

Back to the APC!!! My hunch is once it's out people are gonna be pretty psyched, especially with M4L stuff written to work with it like the step sequencer.
Last edited by continuous on Sat May 02, 2009 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Sat May 02, 2009 1:31 am

Not as much as i was. I just bought an mpc and i've hardly been using live since so it would probably be overkill right now. I'm going to see how it goes with a more minimal setup for a while anyway. Will the check the apc out when it comes out but i'm not rushing out to buy one as soon as they hit.
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Sat May 02, 2009 8:47 pm

i wish i could simply buy something with just a scrolling clip matrix button grid trigger thingy (like the main part of the apc). basically i wish they would just rip off monome and integrate it with live. all those knobs and faders are useless to me, every controller i own already has a bazillion knobs and faders. and seeing as how the faders arent motorized they are useless for production work. better off just getting a faderport for that stuff, really.

it's technically called a "production center" but it seems like it wants to be more of a performance controller, but then i would never perform with this box as its got too much extraeneous crap to be a truly nice performance tool.

ugh. i just feel like they kind of screwed the pooch on this trying to cater to absolutely everyone. max4live looks kickass indeed though.

take my advice ableton: rip off the monome!! DO IT!

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Sat May 02, 2009 9:17 pm

thefinger wrote:i wish i could simply buy something with just a scrolling clip matrix button grid trigger thingy (like the main part of the apc). basically i wish they would just rip off monome and integrate it with live. all those knobs and faders are useless to me, every controller i own already has a bazillion knobs and faders. and seeing as how the faders arent motorized they are useless for production work. better off just getting a faderport for that stuff, really.

it's technically called a "production center" but it seems like it wants to be more of a performance controller, but then i would never perform with this box as its got too much extraeneous crap to be a truly nice performance tool.

ugh. i just feel like they kind of screwed the pooch on this trying to cater to absolutely everyone. max4live looks kickass indeed though.

take my advice ableton: rip off the monome!! DO IT!
I started a thread earlier in regards to a user designed controller for this very reason.

The APC 40 looks great but it's not going to tick everyones box, take a look and add a few suggestions of your own.

In reality, I don't think one controller will ever encompass everything, so perhaps we should be looking towards a system that was expandable bit by bit

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Sat May 02, 2009 9:24 pm

john gordon wrote:i have the remote sl and maschine.i dont see a need for it.i also use my iphone like a scaled down lemur.i think the apc40 would be redundant in my case.anyone else not really so hyped about it.i forgot..i also have a ecler evo5 which has midi stuff as well.

excited about the what?

<strokes his lemur>

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sat May 02, 2009 9:58 pm

otnooishphoo wrote:
john gordon wrote:i have the remote sl and maschine.i dont see a need for it.i also use my iphone like a scaled down lemur.i think the apc40 would be redundant in my case.anyone else not really so hyped about it.i forgot..i also have a ecler evo5 which has midi stuff as well.

excited about the what?

<strokes his lemur>
lol

bog

Post by bog » Sat May 02, 2009 10:38 pm

kristoffer1989 wrote:if i get just the clip matrix i will put it in a bag with my faderfox, nanopad, nanokeys and soundcard =)
ITM Matrix

akaremote

OSCemote

drchoc

Post by drchoc » Sat May 02, 2009 10:48 pm

Its all about the clip triggering for me, and it looks like that will be pretty well taken care of.

To have clips set-up with different launch and/or quantization modes, combined with convenient sound & FX tweaks will make it really easy to have a more flowing & dynamic sound. imo

I can imagine its especially good with your eyes closed too. :mrgreen:

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Sun May 03, 2009 12:58 am

yeah clip triggering here to. but i play with a live band and no quantize. without a click sp touchscreen just wont cut it.. i need buttons..
Kristoffer Lislegaard
Myspace - Soundcloud - Vimeo

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun May 03, 2009 1:02 am

Tone Deft wrote:http://www.akaipro.com/apc40

16.88” x 13.13” x 2.62” (WxDxH) / 429mm x 334mm x 67mm (WxDxH)
about the same footprint as a turntable.

hmm, have you seen the official promo shot though, it looks a lot bigger than that to me ...

JJarvis

Post by JJarvis » Sun May 03, 2009 1:19 am

Tone Deft wrote:gotcha. I glossed over the haters, could it be more obvious that people are complaining about something they don't have a f-ing clue about? it's not out yet, it could very well change.

Akai and Ableton have the upper hand, they get to study the competition for a while before releasing their product. you know Ableton and Akai have had maschines in their offices for months and are surely picking it apart. they could very well tweak the release software to make it a maschine killer, you know they'd love nothing more than to make NI look like fools.

christ, I'm already an APC fanboy. :oops:
I'm getting neither of the two controllers. However, in my experience just about most of Native Instruments product line suffers from buggy performance and real confusing workflow. I couldn't stand NI Battery. I remember all the drum sounds were all over the place and the interface was a nightmare to work with. I'm willing to bet that the Abes spent time with the maschine and really worked against its weaknesses. The APC will certainly be easier to use. If I wanted something like the maschine I would just get an MPC.
Logic Studio, Live 7, Max 5, Monome 64, and Desktop Evolver

bog

Post by bog » Sun May 03, 2009 2:01 am

JJarvis wrote:I'm willing to bet that the Abes spent time with the maschine and really worked against its weaknesses.
APC40 offers nothing that Maschine does while Maschine does offer a clip matrix controller mode for Live like APC40.
JJarvis wrote:If I wanted something like the maschine I would just get an MPC.
Can you launch Live's clip matrix with an MPC? Can you seamlessly integrate the MPC inside any DAW without having to deal with external midi sync? Does the MPC offer a step sequencer out of the box? How about being able to load more than 128MB of samples at a time?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun May 03, 2009 3:47 am

FTR I'm not excited about the APC 40. it's been months since I knew about it, watched a video and paid for it. at this point I'd forget to go pick it up if people stopped reminding me about it.

still haven't seen a single good maschine video.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz