oh oh oh Making the Transformers sound

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
paradiddle

Re: oh oh oh Making the Transformers sound

Post by paradiddle » Sun May 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Probably a whole lot easier to sample it.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Sun May 03, 2009 11:02 pm

What the hell? this makes absolutely no sense what so ever. what is modulating this 7hz pulse wave? might I add that no one can hear anyways. there are to many variables in the transformers sound that that ridiculous equation doesn't even begin to explain. someone please feel free to school me. sorry bout the harsh tone i'm pissed today..

+1 on sampling the the sound.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun May 03, 2009 11:06 pm

but you'd never get the satisfaction of being able to do it yourself :)

You don't actually hear the 8hz, it's just the 'source' before all the crazy modulation begins.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 am

so where's the operator patch timothy? 8)
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon May 04, 2009 12:58 pm

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Mon May 04, 2009 1:28 pm

timothyallan wrote: The Transform sound begins as an 8 hz pulse repeated five times for 0.7 seconds each repeat whose pitch can be represented by the absolute value of a declining sine wave, with each zero-to-zero arc of the wave representing one of five cycles of the repetition. The actual value of the sine wave can be modified by factor N which is multiplied into the X value but divided into the Y value, which means that although the actual pitch is largely indefinite, in analog terms when the transform pitch is higher the length of each pulse is shorter, and conversely when the pitch is lower the length of each pulse is longer.
That blew the fuse on my transformer.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:37 pm

holy shit... somebody just make this sound already!

Diskclaimer

Post by Diskclaimer » Mon May 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Yes..Yes.. Notify Me!!!

jj0b

Post by jj0b » Mon May 04, 2009 8:39 pm

I'm bored at work so thought I would dissect this. It is either a joke or horribly miscomunicated:
timothyallan wrote: The Transform sound begins as an 8Hz pulse repeated five times for 0.7 seconds
An 8 Hz pulse has a period of 1 / 8Hz = 125ms, so if this pulse were to run through 5 cycles it would take 125ms * 5 = 625ms not 700ms as stated.
timothyallan wrote: each repeat whose pitch can be represented by the absolute value of a declining sine wave, with each zero-to-zero arc of the wave representing one of five cycles of the repetition.
We were already told that the frequency of the pulse was 8Hz. I assume that by 'pitch' they actually mean frequency (the two can be synominous but are not neccesarilly).

They legitimately describe a waveform that would look like a series of arcs decreasing in amplitude but to say that this is how the 'pitch' of an 8Hz pulse can be represented makes no sense. Either they are contradicting themselves or don't know what they are talking about or both.
timothyallan wrote: The actual value of the sine wave can be modified by factor N which is multiplied into the X value but divided into the Y value
Here they are saying that N is used to multiply the period (x) and divide into the amplitude (y). If N was 1 then the sine wave would be unchanged. If N was 2, then the period would be doubled (cutting the frequency in half) and the amplitude would be halved. So you would have a quieter sound with a lower pitch(frequency). this would continue as you incresed N. If instead you were to decrease N from 1 to for example 1/2 you would get the opposite effect, ie period would be halved (frequency doubled), and the amplitude would be doubled. You would get a higher and higher frequency(pitch) at increasing amplitude. This seems to bear no relation to their next comment that implies itself to be the reslult of the N factor:
timothyallan wrote: when the transform pitch is higher the length of each pulse is shorter, and conversely when the pitch is lower the length of each pulse is longer.
This clearly shows that they are confused. They seem to be trying to say that when the frequency is higher, the frequency is higher and that when the frequency is lower, the frequency is lower. Obviously totally redundant and meaningless. However they have messed up again and implied that frequency has a direct relationship to the positive duty cycle of a pulse, which is not neccessarily true. The same length positive duty cycle of a pulse waveform could occur at different frequencies based on the length of the negative duty cycle.

Would love to know how they really make that sound!
Last edited by jj0b on Tue May 05, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.musicalgeometry.com
Live 8.2.6
MBP OSX 10.7.2
2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
RME Fireface UFX

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Tue May 05, 2009 12:52 am

The score consists of a C program of about 20,000 lines of code. The output of this program is not the sound itself, but is the sequence of parameters that drives the oscillators on the ASP. That 20,000 lines of code produce about 250,000 lines of statements of the form "set frequency of oscillator X to Y Hertz.

Transformer universal EMF equation
If the flux in the core is sinusoidal, the relationship for either winding between its rms Voltage of the winding E, and the supply frequency f, number of turns N, core cross-sectional area a and peak magnetic flux density B is given by the universal EMF equation:[14]

MOAR TECHNOBABBLE PLZ

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue May 05, 2009 1:04 am

Finally, this explains a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbVY5teBzlg

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 05, 2009 1:07 am

8O is this going to be on the final exam? :?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Tue May 05, 2009 5:41 am

Tone can i get a copy of your study notes?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 05, 2009 5:50 am

I really hope they grade on a curve.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz