bug with clip/file in older set, anyone wanna help?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rajcoont

bug with clip/file in older set, anyone wanna help?

Post by rajcoont » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:35 am

Greetings forum, i'm looking for help with a very odd bug that is making completing an old tune impossible.

I bought a new computer last summer, and for unknown reasons, a song i wrote on the old iMac would no longer load properly on the new Mac Pro. I have emailed ableton support and they had no solutions either. What they believe may have happened is that a codec in quicktime (which ableton decodes with?) got changed, and somehow that has thrown this particular file off

this is what one of many many individually tweaked clips looks like (sample offline in pic);

however once the mp3 is dropped in/located in ableton/etc, it snaps back to 1, loop switches off, and the markers are recreated so they don't match even when you move them into place again, this happens for every single clip in arrangement (of which there must be 100) they all revert to the same clip setting

my hope is that someone out there has a setup that may be able to load these files as they should be and could do a 'collect all and save' for me that i could hopefully reload here, or if that didnt work at least render the files out........

I am sending along a link to the mp3 song i'm cutting up in this tune, and as the track(s) which use it

If anyone can take the time to d/l the files and test this out, I would really appreciate it. I opened this song many many times in versions 5/6/7 before it stopped opening on my new machine, so my hope is an older setup (non intel maybe?) might not have the same issues as me. Even if you experience the same problem as me, maybe someone can deduce what the issue is......

links:
Billy mp3

live set saved in version 6 (will open in 7)

live 8 version of same set (did this first and realized best chance for success was 6-7 users)

didnt include any other tracks or samples from the full song in order to make it quick and easy to download/open

hope someone can crack this one!

pepezabala

Re: bug with clip/file in older set, anyone wanna help?

Post by pepezabala » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:28 am

ok, this usually happens when you decode mp3s on two different computers with different codecs - on one you have quicktime installed and on the other one something else. The different codecs result into decoded files of different lengths, so the warping of the old one doesn't get applied to the same mp3 on the new computer - because live doesn't r4ecognize it as the same audiofile any longer.

What is strange here is that both computers are apples, so both should have quicktime?! Or are you using windows on your intelmac? Then installing quicktime would be the solution.

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:35 pm

pepezabala wrote:ok, this usually happens when you decode mp3s on two different computers with different codecs - on one you have quicktime installed and on the other one something else. The different codecs result into decoded files of different lengths, so the warping of the old one doesn't get applied to the same mp3 on the new computer - because live doesn't r4ecognize it as the same audiofile any longer.

What is strange here is that both computers are apples, so both should have quicktime?! Or are you using windows on your intelmac? Then installing quicktime would be the solution.
no, both systems were apple, i think even both 10.5, though the imac may have only been 10.4 really cant remember

I didnt notice the problem immediately as I didnt load up the set until owning the mac pro for a couple months. Tried every possible trick i could think of to make it work; old backups of the song that had been saved years back and never accessed since, hiding asd files.......nothing helped, and ableton support couldnt find a workable solution either

I am happy to troubleshoot/debate with people, but personally think the answer lies in some folks with older systems giving it a crack, any takers yet?

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:37 pm

bump,

anyone?

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Tue May 05, 2009 3:39 am

last bump?

nobody interested in helping out?

i'll send you a copy of the record when it comes out...

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Tue May 05, 2009 5:14 pm

ok really last bump and i will have to find another way

goodnight sweet forum