Stupid question about external mixers

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
klacke

Stupid question about external mixers

Post by klacke » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:20 pm

I´ve been to a few concerts with "laptop"-artists and alot of them use Live with external mixers (small Behringer often). I dont understand why/how they use them and for what purpose?
It seems that a lot of them only use the internal soundcard (most of them have used Mac) so they only have one channel going to the mixer.

Do they use the EQ in the mixer or :?:
Can someone please enlighten me on this subject.

Thanks

ejectorset

Post by ejectorset » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:30 pm

my guess would be either they are making use of external effects (or built-in effects on the mixer), other outboard gear (synths, samplers, etc), feedback loops, etc.

or maybe they just want a way to boost their output signal from the laptop and get a good balanced or line out to send to the club's PA.

next time just ask one of them.
13" 2.0 gHz core 2 duo macbook, live 6, korg poly 800 (w/ moog slayer mod), roland rs-09, rhodes mark 1A stage piano, mattel synsonics analog drum machine

arar

Post by arar » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:04 pm

I use an indigo Dj soundcard and run it into my dj mixer, I like having the knobs for EQ, I also use a kaoos pad post the mixer. I have got an ozone for midi control...

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:19 am

I like having easier access to the EQ and level on the external mixer. Plus like it was already stated, some mixers send a better, louder signal out to the PA than many audio interfaces. You can also have easier access to a cue, and you don't have to use up one of your available audio channels in Live.

basetwo

Post by basetwo » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:57 pm

I just bought by Behringer UB2442FX-Pro mixer and LOVE using it with live.

I play electric guitar with an acoustic player and we can have all the outputs coming from Live mixed with our guitar signals so we can dictate our own monitor mix. Then each individual channel from Live and our guitars are sent to the FOH console.

It works GREAT! :o
The question is not whether or not you are influenced, but rather what it is that influences you.
-----
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939/AMD 64
Seagate 80Gb/Samsung 120Gb SATA
1GB RAM/Delta 66/Firebox
32bit WinXP

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:34 pm

I use my Allen & Heath Xone62 with an Indigo DJ card for live sets. The main mix goes to one channel, and my 'lead' intrument in Live goes to another channel. This way I can use the DJ mixer's filters and EQ (which sound better than software) to affect just the lead or just the main mix. Also, it lets me patch my iPod Mini onto a third channel, which I use as a backup in case the laptop suddenly crashes during a show. Thankfully this has never happened though.

rkampschoer

Post by rkampschoer » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:50 pm

I indeed also use a DJ mixer with Ableton (a Xone 92) in my new live-setup.
I use the MIDI features from the mixer to control Ableton, and I also like to use the filters and EQ from the mixer.

:)
sometimes, less is more...

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:10 pm

rkampschoer wrote:I indeed also use a DJ mixer with Ableton (a Xone 92) in my new live-setup.
I use the MIDI features from the mixer to control Ableton, and I also like to use the filters and EQ from the mixer.

I checked out your website. Like your setup. Cool.

:wink:

rkampschoer

Post by rkampschoer » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:40 am

To 16 BIT:

Thanks for the compliment!

To klacke:

There are also artists who use more channels from a DJ mixer, I use my DJ mixer purely for Ableton (all 4 channels).

16 BIT

Post by 16 BIT » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:44 pm

rkampschoer wrote:To 16 BIT:

Thanks for the compliment!

To klacke:

There are also artists who use more channels from a DJ mixer, I use my DJ mixer purely for Ableton (all 4 channels).

I have now studied your setup and have no changed my setup to simulate yours. I wasnt using my DJ mixer in the studio before and its turning out be a very good move. Even subbing mixes through the Xone 92 seems to sound better.

Hope you dont mind me stealing your setup idea.

Thanks again
8)

rkampschoer

Post by rkampschoer » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:26 am

haha, no problem :)

I think you get a very nice sound if you use the high-end analog filters and EQ from the A&H in combination with ableton.

Which soundcard are you using/planning to use?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:17 pm

uummm... we run 2 powerbooks with 2 Multifaces each doing 8 outputs into a Behringer Eurorack 16ch mixer with 4 sends of hardware FX.

...but then we're silly :D

Now back to our scheduled thread
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

rkampschoer

Post by rkampschoer » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:44 pm

lol, then I must be silly too!

I used to carry around huge loads of studio gear as well (see the pics section on my web-site).
Now I only do this when I have a really long live performance...

I think it's pretty clear now why a lot of us use DJ mixers in combination with Live.