OT: MS Windows 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
photonal

OT: MS Windows 7

Post by photonal » Sun May 03, 2009 10:27 am

From BBC WebSite : 'Many beta testers of Windows 7 have reported that it is faster than Vista, especially in terms of start-up and shutdown sequence of the computer.

Mr Curran said that the Microsoft Windows team had been poring over every aspect of the operating system to make improvements.

"We were able to shave 400 milliseconds off the shutdown time by slightly trimming the WAV file shutdown music.'

Wow, those Microsoft engineers certainly know there stuff!!! Optimise Windows 7 by editing the shutdown music!!! :)

3dot...

Re: OT: MS Windows 7

Post by 3dot... » Sun May 03, 2009 10:33 am

W7 is fantastic !
RC coming out this Tuesday... try it !

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Sun May 03, 2009 11:31 am

Got the Rc on Virtualbox, it seems a very nice os. The main structure, dos skeleton and registry, is still there. But it's a lot cleaner, it actually feels better, and I'm not a windows fan. Still prefer it over osx for sheer quickness of usability though, not for stability or protection. We'll see how 7 will stand the attacks and the registry rotting.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

Out Of My System

Post by Out Of My System » Sun May 03, 2009 12:28 pm

Have not hit a problem yet. It's fast, looks great, and recognises anything I've plugged into it. Someone's infiltrated Microsoft and snuck out an OS that works.

jeffplaysmoog

Post by jeffplaysmoog » Sun May 03, 2009 2:23 pm

Hmm, it's still built on the same old code however... I may give it a try, but will most likely stick with OS X/XP combo... The backgrounds are awesome though!

http://gizmodo.com/5226696/windows-7-re ... w-features
Mac Book Pro 2.33ghz, 2gig Ram, OS 10.5, Ableton Live 8 Suite, APC40

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:41 am

how does ableton work with windows 7? any speed boosts?

tempted to do the upgrade, not heard any particularly bad reports yet, mostly positive.

will ableton work using windows 7 64bit version, given there is no 64bit version of ableton?

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed May 06, 2009 12:20 pm

Vista was the OS to skip, but Windows 7 is going to be the one to get. only took MS about a decade to catch up & produce a modern OS they suck but you know that already. I will give it another couple of months and then switch I guess.

Gab

Post by Gab » Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 pm

robleighton22 wrote:how does ableton work with windows 7? any speed boosts?

tempted to do the upgrade, not heard any particularly bad reports yet, mostly positive.

will ableton work using windows 7 64bit version, given there is no 64bit version of ableton?
Yeah, there are already people using Live 8 on a 64bits version of W7 without any significant issue.
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:47 pm

djsynchro wrote:Vista was the OS to skip, but Windows 7 is going to be the one to get. only took MS about a decade to catch up & produce a modern OS they suck but you know that already. I will give it another couple of months and then switch I guess.
the fact u get the windows 7 rc1 til march 2010 is wkd. its got to b a good thing if microsoft are getting some good press over this - microsoft never get good press about anything. gonna by an external harddisk today to back everything up and will install the os tonight. was gonna save my pennies to get a mac, but given my laptop is pretty snappy even with vista, i might delay myself getting a mac. my only serious concern is my motu 828mkII - this thing crashes all the time and audio is constantly dropping (not really in ableton as it happens, but in every other application - particularly when streaming audio). hav a feeling win 7 isn't going to improve this that much as motu windows drivers suck.

IP

Post by IP » Wed May 06, 2009 3:00 pm

I just finish with the 7-64 RC1 installation (dual boot with xp)!

Everything went fine but unfortunately the vista 64 driver for my profire is not working!
(well most ppl were saying that almost all drivers/software from vista, working fine to 7 so i had hope ;p)

Anyway having a free new OS for a year + is very cool. I just wish fast driver releases from 3rd's

edit ..

and a new site for win7 - daw config tips and tricks :mrgreen:

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Wed May 06, 2009 3:04 pm

Dont want to start a mac vs pc war but..

7 is much more sexier than OS in everyway 8)

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Wed May 06, 2009 3:39 pm

abletoff wrote:The main structure, dos skeleton and registry, is still there.

DIE REGISTRY DIE!!

WORST IDEA

EVER

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Wed May 06, 2009 3:45 pm

djsynchro wrote:Vista was the OS to skip, but Windows 7 is going to be the one to get. only took MS about a decade to catch up & produce a modern OS they suck but you know that already. I will give it another couple of months and then switch I guess.

but it's not modern, it's the same base NT code from the 90's
they just keep adding bloat to it.

sure it runs faster, the machines are faster now.

andy c

Post by andy c » Wed May 06, 2009 7:25 pm

The ACPI battery driver is still causing way to much DPC latency for me :(
That disabled w7 runs a treat but it kinda looses the point of running a laptop.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu May 07, 2009 1:38 pm

otnooishphoo wrote:

but it's not modern, it's the same base NT code from the 90's
they just keep adding bloat to it.

sure it runs faster, the machines are faster now.

by that logic, unix systems are slow pieces of shit that arent worth chucking on any server.