Live 8 has to be connected to internet?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
solar28

Live 8 has to be connected to internet?

Post by solar28 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:15 am

Hmm, didn't see this with Live 7. If I disable my NIC then Ableton wants to re-authorize when I start it. If I re-enable the NIC then it's fine. I don't have to actually re-authorize, just have to re-enable card.

Anybody see this? It can't be Abes' intention to keep a music machine connected can it?

dcease

Re: Live 8 has to be connected to internet?

Post by dcease » Fri May 08, 2009 12:26 am

i believe it's part of the new protection scheme. i did 'offline' authorization, as i don't always have le intronet on on my daw. i reckon you could always have it on when you start live, then disable it... prolly pretty annoying :?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 08, 2009 12:36 am

I don't think it does. I launch Live with and without teh interweb connected.

Ableton has stated many times that they're using a new verification scheme and they expected problems with it. they've asked users to help them debug it.

e-mail support@ableton.com be sure to put "verification problem" or something like that in the e-mail subject, they know this is screwy.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Fri May 08, 2009 12:48 am

not true at all. My computer has never been connected to internet. I authorized Live offline and it starts just fine.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri May 08, 2009 12:50 am

Apparently this has been addressed in 8.0.2

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=114613
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

timwright

Post by timwright » Fri May 08, 2009 1:15 am

I authorized it online, and I can use it when I'm offline without any problems.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Fri May 08, 2009 3:46 am

As mentioned... probably just a bug.

I use mine all the time with or without internet connection and I've never had that message.

Only every once in a while I receive a message that the share option is not available because I'm not online, but that's it.

solar28

Post by solar28 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:13 am

Cool, I hoped it was a bug . . . :wink:

georgeblunt

Post by georgeblunt » Fri May 08, 2009 7:47 am

It's actually the missing hardware causing the problem, not the missing connection, as far as I know. It's got something to do with the id, that is being generated based on the installed hardware. If the ID changes, you have to re-authorize, because live "thinks" you are using it on another computer.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Fri May 08, 2009 8:02 am

this isnt a bug, this is a massive oversight that i complained about in beta testing. But nobody backed me up. with live 7 I used my network card soley to activate live, and then would disable it. In 8 if i disable it then it asks to reauthorise . So i have to leave it on and disconnect the lead. bah.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri May 08, 2009 10:51 am

There is a thread with support explanation how to fix it. I had it right in first few days and it left me without activation over long weekend- I think it was during Easter. Luckily there was no disaster (though downloaded trial on the standby notebook to be save) and to my surprise support responded care despite holidays. Just another evidence that Abletons is the best support ever.
edit: it never occured since.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri May 08, 2009 12:27 pm

This is the fix from Abes- (Nico Starke)
Please try the following:

1. remove the "template.als" file from the following folder:

c:/documents and settings/[your username]/application data/ableton/live 8.0.1/preferences/template.als

You might want to make a backup of the file first, in case the template is of any importance for you.

2. launch Live and check if that works flawlessly now.

3. now check if Live is authorized when you launch it whilst you are online and offline. In case you're offline and it is not authorized:

-stay offline
-go to the "User Account / Licenses" pane (in Live's preferences)
-click "display offline authorization instructions"
-write down the hardware code
-go online
-go to www.ableton.com/authorize
-click "unlock another computer"
-enter the hardware code
-download the .auz file to your desktop
-go offline
-open Live
-double-click the .auz file or drag it into Live's main window (just like if you would import an audio file).

This should unlock Live in the offline mode. Some more background information on why this is neccessary: We use the network adapter to create the challenge code (aka hardware code). If you use multiple network adapters or deactivate your adapter temporarily, the machine code will change and thus the unlock becomes invalid. If you unlock it again in offline mode, Live stores both unlock information and then uses either one or the other, depending on your online/offline state. Sorry for the inconvenience.
This fixed my authorisation problems being off/online on Live 8.01.

Hope this helps.

pwal

Post by pwal » Fri May 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Emissary wrote:this isnt a bug, this is a massive oversight that i complained about in beta testing. But nobody backed me up. with live 7 I used my network card soley to activate live, and then would disable it. In 8 if i disable it then it asks to reauthorise . So i have to leave it on and disconnect the lead. bah.
i also reported it in beta ;) and since final release - my phone being connected via usb causes a re-authorisation... if it keeps happening you just need to mail support

emef

Post by emef » Fri May 08, 2009 3:03 pm

i always use ableton at home with wifi disabled
it would be pretty stupid to have a sequencer designed for live use that had to be connected t't web all the time
not a lot of clubs i play at have wifi on tap

ark

Post by ark » Fri May 08, 2009 3:32 pm

emef wrote:i always use ableton at home with wifi disabled
it would be pretty stupid to have a sequencer designed for live use that had to be connected t't web all the time
not a lot of clubs i play at have wifi on tap
At worst you would have to have your adapter enabled--you don't actually need a connection. But it sounds like maybe they've fixed that now.