OT: MS Windows 7

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gnuus

Re: OT: MS Windows 7

Post by Gnuus » Sat May 09, 2009 8:40 am

can the RC be upgraded to full version once it's available? (the beta can't)
How to upgrade the beta to RC and than to the RTM milestone when it becomes available. Here is what the Windows 7 team has posted: http://www.lockergnome.com/blade/2009/0 ... milestone/
http://myspace.com/aftronics
Live 10 Intro | iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB Ram | Samaon Graphite 49 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | iPad air | ZOOM TAC-2 | Roland TD11

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat May 09, 2009 10:27 am

it can...

Simmo

Post by Simmo » Sat May 09, 2009 5:14 pm

Microsoft are making moves, albeit slow, towards dropping native legacy application support with Windows 7. An example of this is XP Compatibility mode which essentially is a virtualised XP machine which runs compartmentalised, this allows the user to execute XP and older programs whilst allowing Microsoft to move focus away from legacy support with the primary Windows 7 code base.

Cheers, Simmo

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat May 09, 2009 11:23 pm

xpmode required hardware virtualisation though.
infact, xpmode wont run at all without that. my bios/mobo doesnt have that so now, after installing the xpmode beta it wont even start.

but hell, doesnt really matter since the compability mode works like wonders anyways, without the xpmode beta thing.

installing windows 7 was about the best decision i took towards my computer. well, that and installing reaper and live.
windows 7 is, to be put in short terms:´; just plain awesome.

aero peek is the best thing ever.
sure, expose would be nice, but aero peek (and snap :)) is just fantastic.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Sun May 10, 2009 12:13 am

fully agree - i am amazed at how different my pc runs on windows 7. for anyone on vista, don't even think twice about downloading the rc1. in my mind, vista is broke, it is so much slower and much much worse for music production.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun May 10, 2009 8:28 pm

Nice to hear some buzz in Windows land Vista was a pile of shite I never even looked at it, but XP is getting OOoooollllddd.
It's time for a 64-bit OS anyway that 3.25G RAM limit is st00pid.

rolfski

Post by rolfski » Mon May 11, 2009 12:52 am

I never had complaints about Vista (way more stable for me than XP) but Win 7 RC runs just like a beast, beating the two altogether on performance and stability. Just go for it as you can easily upgrade to full release of Win 7 (RTM) or scale back when unsatisfatied.

If you run a dedicated DAW/ Live performance machine or partition I would suggest doing a clean install of Win 7 RC. It's the best way to go (stability and performance wise) and it will save you time vs the relatively slow upgrading proces as you probably only have to reinstall Live, some VST plugins, and audio interface drivers/software.
The Easy Transfer facility will quickly help you then to get al those Live files back in place.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon May 11, 2009 1:27 am

i only had to reinstall 3 vst plugins.
only thing is that live crashed on scanning vst after installing, so i had to copy the old preferences.cfg file over to the new one. ;)

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon May 11, 2009 3:12 pm

I'm not in a hurry, with Live I switched during the beta, with Win 7 I'm going to wait and find out everything about drivers etc. maybe even wait until service pack 1, then switch. I run a super stripped XP on my DAW no hurry.

klyrish

Post by klyrish » Mon May 11, 2009 7:26 pm

I've done a bit of Googling at work today and from what I see, it looks like not only do Live and Native Instruments various plugins all work in Windows 7, but that there are even drivers for the Creative X-Fi Elite Pro (which was shocking to me since it's Creative after all).

I've been getting BSODs in Vista (which has no BSODs if you recall MS's marketing for the OS) caused by the nvlddmkm.dll file which is part of NVIDIA's drivers. It just started happening like 10 days ago max and ONLY when I'm in Live. It's incredibly frustrating, especially because I'm doing nothing graphically intense at all. But I've lost a lot of work because of this and I won't stand for it anymore.

I've got two 9600 GSO 768MB cards in SLI right now and I want to switch them out for an older 8500GT to see if that fixes anything (doubtful) and then move on over to 7 assuming everything was working. I don't game on the PC anymore so those cards are absolute overkill anyway.

What about ASIO4All? Is there a Windows 7 version as well?

rolfski

Post by rolfski » Mon May 11, 2009 7:52 pm

klyrish wrote: What about ASIO4All? Is there a Windows 7 version as well?
You probably don't need it, if it works on Vista it wil almost certainly works as well (or even better) on Win 7.

klyrish

Post by klyrish » Mon May 11, 2009 8:13 pm

rolfski wrote:
klyrish wrote: What about ASIO4All? Is there a Windows 7 version as well?
You probably don't need it, if it works on Vista it wil almost certainly works as well (or even better) on Win 7.
Fantastic news. Thanks!

Gab

Post by Gab » Mon May 11, 2009 8:20 pm

I also use a Creative X-Fi (with external rack) with the Win7 beta drivers released on 24th april. Works as well as in XP, no need for ASIO4all ;)
'If they act too hip, you know they can’t play shit.'

Tympanic

Post by Tympanic » Tue May 19, 2009 5:32 pm

Guys, is no one of u running Win7 RC and Live 8 experiencing problems with the visual feedback?
I have visual lags like hell. Level Meters jumping choking, everything stutters (visually).
Not good, not good. Maybe its the aero skin?
But its not acceptable. I can´t work like that.
Its running fine, beside this annoying visual lagging.....
Tell me - hows bout u
I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

>v< - that´s the question today

...the work of production is reduction...

some music

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Tue May 19, 2009 5:43 pm

W7 and Live8 absolutely fine here. It runs way better than Xp. I can actually forget I'm using windows and I like it more than osx.
Today I spoke with a ms biggie. The taskbar will change in the final w7 and will be better.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)