1st look at new Reason product

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Poster

Re: 1st look at new Reason product

Post by Poster » Mon May 11, 2009 10:48 am

wow.. after all the drumrolling and tension building, this is it?

if you would only listen to that voice-over and not look at the vid itself you would almost think this is the next thing..
to quickly lay down/record ideas, Live is still unbeatable imo..

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:14 pm

If this had come out a couple of years ago, I probably would've never started using Live. I gotta say I am pretty impressed with it's features at that price. It's a full SSL 9000 mixer! That alone is worth the $150 MSRP to upgrade from Reason which will actually be less I'm sure. I can tell you now I plan on buying this upon release. I think it will be a great add-on, as Reason is, with Live. Why won't Ableton give us an SSL modeled channel strip on each track? I think this will be the go to software for getting ideas out of your head. And you get to use all those Reason and Line 6 instruments and effects too. Does anyone know if it has audio in via Rewire? or is the audio in only by way of interface? All that I could find was this passage... "Record is a ReWire slave application, allowing for up to 64 simultaneous audio output channels to a host application, as well as controlling Record through MIDI from a host." So I guess that's a no. Guess we'll have to do it the hard way and run the audio out of and back into the interface?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 11, 2009 5:41 pm

McQ714 wrote: It's a full SSL 9000 mixer!
Is it now.
Is it really.

I've got a 3d image of a car for you to buy.
It's 'modeled after' a Ferrari
how much is it worth to you?

Note - you know that 'modeled after' actually means
The SSL and/or Solid State Logic trademarks are solely used to identify the products whose sound was studied during Propellerhead Software's sound modeling development.
I can say exactly the same thing about my picture of a Ferrari. I studied one while I made my 3d model

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon May 11, 2009 6:04 pm

I made my first Strat, when I was 4, from cardboard and piece of wood, had rubber strings, my performances got me lots of appreciation (mind you I didnt use any Marshall modeling)

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:07 pm

I understand that and I know that Props isn't the best in the business at this but who knows, it might sound pretty good. All I'm saying is that, as a Reason owner, I might be paying $100 to $150 for the warm sound of an SSL desk at a fraction of the cost of the plug-ins. Don't get me wrong here, i'm not ditching Live at all. I know this is no replacement for Live. But why is everyone so quick to slam Props for making this software? Is it because it is a few years late in the game? Props have an incredible reputation in the business and they only release rock-solid software products. People seem to forget that just because you don't use it now and don't intend on using it ever, that people that are thinking of getting into making music aren't going to look at something like this. I'm pretty sure that at some point, 90% of people on this forum have used Reason. And for most, it was probably the lack of audio recording that turned them off. And as far as your 3d image of a Ferrari... you're an idiot and that's the dumbest thing you could've said to get your point across. Do 3d images actually have any function? I'll answer that for you. NO!!! Had you said, I've got a Shelby Cobra kit car, that isn't really a Cobra but looks, sounds, and acts like a Shelby Cobra for a fraction of the price, there's a lot of people out there that would say, "Hell yes, I'd buy that!" We all know it's not the real thing, but it's very similar and still it's a great looking car. I understand what "modeled after" means, and that doesn't turn anyone away from buying UAD, Waves, Focusrite, and even SSL plugins... Does it? I know it's not a real console. How could it be? But I still have confidence that this will be a quality product regardless.

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon May 11, 2009 6:08 pm

Well, we may not buy it (I doubt I will), but I doubt the props are idiots, they did their research before investing the time into it. Their products are stable as can be. This could end up being a great gateway tool (drug) for the noobs, before they sink their teeth into logic, pro-tools, live....
I am gonna suspend judgement until the product is out.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Mon May 11, 2009 7:21 pm

Meh.

And the I think that girl "singing" in that "band" might have a weiner.

I remember when Reason came out. Fanboys bouncing off walls (I was one of them). Then they stopped listening to what users wanted, became irrelevant, and are only punchlines to bad jokes. People have moved on to other products from companies that listen to their customers... hear that Ableton?

Don't go the way of Syquest, Quark, the Propellerheads, and Cubase.

READ THIS: OSC, Program Changes, CUE POINTS...
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:38 pm

obviously any product that comes out is still going to leave a lot to be desired, and if you look at what most DAWs have problems with, it's the third party support so I doubt that we'll ever see VSTs in Record or Reason but we may end up seeing a lot more built-in effects with this new software. They're already adding Line 6 guitar and bass amp/cab modeling, which was an obvious addition. I'll probably end up buying it just for the hell of it.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Mon May 11, 2009 7:51 pm

i like the mixer section but I do wish Record could be more like ableton and could function as both a rewire master and slave and being able to host VST/AU and rewire all the tracks in ableton to Record's mixer..