Ok so sampler/simpler does not have timestretching...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ohmygod

Ok so sampler/simpler does not have timestretching...

Post by ohmygod » Mon May 11, 2009 6:32 pm

I found that out by doing a search...so the only way I've figured out to get around this is put the sound in an audio clip, let ableton warp it, then record it to another track, and drag it into the sampler. Of course, if I decide I want it at a different pitch and still be in time, I have to go back and start the whole process over. Is there not a better way?

I can't believe something as powerful as Ableton could be oh so shoddy in this department and I was really hoping this would be addressed in Version 8.

djsynchro

Re: Ok so sampler/simpler does not have timestretching...

Post by djsynchro » Mon May 11, 2009 6:36 pm

You can pitch shift at the clip level using the pitch envelope

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:39 pm

ohmygod wrote:I found that out by doing a search...so the only way I've figured out to get around this is put the sound in an audio clip, let ableton warp it, then record it to another track, and drag it into the sampler. Of course, if I decide I want it at a different pitch and still be in time, I have to go back and start the whole process over. Is there not a better way?

I can't believe something as powerful as Ableton could be oh so shoddy in this department and I was really hoping this would be addressed in Version 8.
You are correct and it bums me out too (as it applies to drum racks, etc as well).

I posted a thread in the feature wishlist if you care.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon May 11, 2009 6:40 pm

You have no idea how much I've requested this (Or maybe you do since you did a search :wink: ).

The thing is, it's not like it's some crazy revolutionary request. Impulse can change the duration independant of pitch. Clips can also. Yet, sampler the paid add-on can not. So strange. Sampler is where I would want it most. Both for stretching drums when used in drum racks (like impulse) or for when using a melodic instrument and you want the pitch to change for one sampler without changing the time.

My workaround unfortunately is Kontakt 3.
Professional Shark Jumper.

ohmygod

Post by ohmygod » Mon May 11, 2009 7:00 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:My workaround unfortunately is Kontakt 3.
Is Kontakt like an external (or vst?) sampler i can use from within Ableton?...if so, I may have to check that out.

Glad to see other people who are as frustrated by this as me. I agree - it shouldn't be such a revolutionary request. It seems quite basic. Even my Roland hardware sampler from 2000 could do that.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon May 11, 2009 7:13 pm

Kontakt is native instruments sampler VST/AU. Yes it works in Ableton as a plug-in. It's nowhere near as straight forward as sampler though. Kontakt is one powerful mofo and comes with an amazing huge library. I do like sampler for it's layout and simplicity, and I'd rather have timestratching in sampler than kontakt because I'd be more prone to using simpe single sample patches in sampler and more complex multi-samples patches in Kontakt (like realistic instruments and sampling I don't do myself).

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Mon May 11, 2009 7:57 pm

djsynchro wrote:You can pitch shift at the clip level using the pitch envelope
You can not control pitch and time in simpler or sampler individualy, only in impulse, which is not allowed to be a user default in drum racks. We tune our samples, that's why we want this.

ohmygod

Post by ohmygod » Mon May 11, 2009 8:17 pm

by the way...has anyone noticed how much quiter clips are when loaded into the sampler? I always have to boost the volume a huge amount (whereas it'll sounds fine as a plain clip) and then there's often distortion when I do boost it.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Mon May 11, 2009 8:20 pm

I would bet that you guys are asking about in this thread is probably going to dealt with when the Serato/Ableton partnership comes to fruition...the problem with time stretching is that the results are either spot on or absolutely terrible, but Serato's pitch'n time is supposed to be the shit. Ridiculously expensive, but still the shit.

See here:

http://www.serato.com/pitchntime-le

only $400, $430 with ilok included.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Mon May 11, 2009 8:26 pm

ohmygod wrote:by the way...has anyone noticed how much quiter clips are when loaded into the sampler? I always have to boost the volume a huge amount (whereas it'll sounds fine as a plain clip) and then there's often distortion when I do boost it.
Don't know about Sampler, but Simpler default loads with the volume adjusted to like -10 db or something to prevent volume overloads I suppose. Just load an instance, raise the volume to taste, drag it back to the browser, and use that as your default.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Mon May 11, 2009 8:34 pm

Yes, Sampler doesn't have timestretch unfortunately. A workaround is to warp a clip, consolidate it and then drop it into Sampler at the session tempo.

Also, in regards to volume, you can set the Sampler, Simpler volume and save it as a default preset, so next time you drop a sample into Sampler instead of playing your sample at -12dB you could set your default volume to 0dB for example.

Ken

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Mon May 11, 2009 8:44 pm

kenporter wrote:Yes, Sampler doesn't have timestretch unfortunately. A workaround is to warp a clip, consolidate it and then drop it into Sampler at the session tempo.
Ken
Over the years, I think this is the first time I've seen you guys respond to this topic.
Are there any plans to add time stretch to the samplers OR to allow Impulse to be added as a user preset/default in drum racks for 'drag and drop'?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon May 11, 2009 8:53 pm

kenporter wrote:Yes, Sampler doesn't have timestretch unfortunately. A workaround is to warp a clip, consolidate it and then drop it into Sampler at the session tempo.

Ken
Not a good workaround for a melodic instrument though, because you'd have to do one for every key. Also, it's no workaround for a drum hit timestretch like in impulse.

People always misinterpret this request or change the topic into one about loops in sampler (not meaning you in particular Ken), thinking that we mean using a loop in sampler the way you would in a clip. I don't see the point there, since clips do that. The main concerns are (1) Simply being able to change the duration of a drum sound like in impulse without changing pitch, so that using drum racks with sampler you don't lose that functionality. And (2) making an instrument patch from a sample where the pitch-shifting does not change the sample speed playback (like in Kontakt).

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Mon May 11, 2009 9:03 pm

Willyum wrote:
Ken
Over the years, I think this is the first time I've seen you guys respond to this topic.
Are there any plans to add time stretch to the samplers OR to allow Impulse to be added as a user preset/default in drum racks for 'drag and drop'?
I don't work for Ableton. :)

Ken

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Mon May 11, 2009 9:08 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:

Ken
Not a good workaround for a melodic instrument though, because you'd have to do one for every key. Also, it's no workaround for a drum hit timestretch like in impulse.

People always misinterpret this request or change the topic into one about loops in sampler (not meaning you in particular Ken), thinking that we mean using a loop in sampler the way you would in a clip. I don't see the point there, since clips do that. The main concerns are (1) Simply being able to change the duration of a drum sound like in impulse without changing pitch, so that using drum racks with sampler you don't lose that functionality. And (2) making an instrument patch from a sample where the pitch-shifting does not change the sample speed playback (like in Kontakt).
No, you're absolutely right, but I don't really use timestretch for melodic instruments. I have Kontakt as well, and even there I would not use timestretch when I use melodic samples since I do want them pitched and just find a good loop point unless the samples get's super short.

That being said, I think I had posted a request years ago for Sampler to include timestretching. So, I was just trying to help and I do realize that there are still limitations to my suggested workaound. That's why I called it a workaround anyway. :)

Ken