EU slaps a record fine on Intel

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

EU slaps a record fine on Intel

Post by djsynchro » Wed May 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Tone Deft

Re: EU slaps a record fine on Intel

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 13, 2009 4:48 pm

Rave wrote:This could be bad news because we will have to pay this in the end.
why? you sound like Emissary.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Chang

Post by Chang » Wed May 13, 2009 5:31 pm

Intel has harmed millions of European consumers by deliberately acting to keep competitors out of the market for computer chips for many years," said Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes.

How exactly have consumers been hurt over this? They've been hurt by not using crappier, slower 65nm amd technology? I understand if indeed intel is paying kick back to dell etc to use their chips only, but people hurt? lol :roll: If anything, the people saved money and have a faster 45nm intel chip instead of a crap amd. How is that hurting the consumer?

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Wed May 13, 2009 5:45 pm

The strange thing is that with the exception of Lenovo, all those manufacturers have regularly offered AMD powered machines.

smartass303

Post by smartass303 » Wed May 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Chang wrote: How exactly have consumers been hurt over this? They've been hurt by not using crappier, slower 65nm amd technology? I understand if indeed intel is paying kick back to dell etc to use their chips only, but people hurt? lol :roll: If anything, the people saved money and have a faster 45nm intel chip instead of a crap amd. How is that hurting the consumer?
i think you dont understand the concept of regulated *free* markets... if intel paid those companys to use their chips (in most of these agreements its not cheaper for the buying company) its illegal. so they get sued. thats the way the regulators of the mentioned free markets (EU) act.
its legal and ok if you believe in it.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed May 13, 2009 10:43 pm

Intel has been putting out excellent products and at very good prices. But where they to achieve their goal, namely to drive AMD out of business and have a virtual monopoly (same as Micro$uck) you can bet your sweet ass that they would be raising their prices. They're not in this game for charity!!! :twisted:

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:23 am

Intel got away lightly - they could have been fined 10% of their annual turnover (worldwide) which would have cost them $4 billion.

Its a different world in the EU compared to the US when it comes to business practices, especially regarding competition and monopolies. If you don't play by the rules in the EU, you're gonna get taken down as Microsoft and now Intel can testify.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Thu May 14, 2009 7:09 am

And where will the fine end up? Not in the consumers pocket. Most likely spent on toilet seats and non existent mortgages claimed by the eurocrats.