To those of you who told me to buy a Mac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
leedsquietman

Re: To those of you who told me to buy a Mac

Post by leedsquietman » Tue May 12, 2009 1:58 am

I like Macs too, I use them at work every day.

I can't afford to pay the premium to own one at home however, especially a Mac Pro tower which is what I would really want.

There are plenty of PC laptops that can be dropped and work fine, IBM/Lenovo had that for years. And a MBP is not a Panasonic Toughbook, I know of a few MBP owners who feel they had a bullet proof computer only to be severely disappointed when they discovered it wasn't and to be fair, Apple don't sell it as such !

Macs have the advantage of fewer hardware conflicts and a nice steady O/S although we'll have to see how Snow Leopard and going totally 64 bit on Mac will affect the stability, that is one of the things that screwed up Vista but now MS have broken that in (literally) their next o/s should be better for it.

Anyway - if you can afford a Mac, get one, but otherwise, with a little homework, you can get equally powerful PC machines that can run great, but budget end laptops won't cut it (and I include the basic Macbook in this, integrated graphics, low speed hard drives etc, you can't expect to get high track counts and plugin counts).
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

vagelles

Post by vagelles » Wed May 13, 2009 2:43 pm

dysanfel wrote:
djsynchro wrote:Except when you take out your wallet
I think that over the lifetime of the computer you actually save money. Its just that the cost is on the front end. But that is just my opinion. :lol:

Agree

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed May 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Oops, stupid shop not displaying their prices right!

Love my little Macbook, been great so far for music stuff, would never used a Mac purely for everyday stuff though.

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Wed May 13, 2009 9:20 pm

MACS ARE SHIT

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Wed May 13, 2009 10:18 pm

yeahhh and thats why i use them! :wink:

aftertouch

Post by aftertouch » Thu May 14, 2009 12:38 am

yeh i had countless issues in my windows PC career, now i got a mac, everything just plugged in and worked. smiles all round..

bodhi71

Post by bodhi71 » Thu May 14, 2009 3:34 am

How about this.
I have easily enjoyed the power of my new computer, but now I am left a bit perplexed.
I just got back from jamming with some friends, using live as effects and looper, fcb1010, a nanokey ,presonus firepod into a pa.
I didn't take any power supply figured only be playing for a few hours at best.
Everything was cool for an hour or two until I tried to load a song to show my bandmates, and the damn thing stalls out.
WTF? Acted almost like there was a driver issue, weird sounds, like it was trying to play tracks, almost,then it wouldn't shut off.
Tried this several times, with different songs, with similar results.Most songs were made in Live 7.
Only did it when I would load another song.
This is the first I had it out, it is kinda scary to think that I will be relying on this set up.
What could do this? Live 8.2? is it still buggy?
FCB1010, MBP, and nanokey are all new.
Fired up the MBP once I got home and it's like it never happened.( power supply plugged in now) nothing hooked up.
Am I wrong to think maybe my Presonus is crapping out?
MBP is running like a beast.
TITBAG wrote:MACS ARE SHIT
I guess I'm a shit lover :cry:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu May 14, 2009 7:34 am

^^^ nothing to worry about since the second gen. Core2Duo MBPros the presonus cards have / can have problems beeing feed enough power via firewire... You just have to always use the PSU.

this is a wellknown issue since day one of the 2nd gen MBP...
*** Image GAFM ***

bodhi71

Post by bodhi71 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:42 am

Huh, I was wondering how all this was taking place.
We were playing in a church, I thought maybe that was it... o 8O

Just to be sure, the Presonus was the Firepod, with psu. No psu hooked up to the MBP.

This seemed like that was the most likely suspect, couldn't be sure.
Might be incentive to sell some gear and hook up with a duet...

dan le sac

Post by dan le sac » Thu May 14, 2009 11:16 am

One thing all mac users should do if they perform live with their overly priced irreplaceable Mac's is buy a portable Firewire drive, once you've got it you should install OSX, Ableton, all you pluggins and files directly to the drive. So if your mac brakes you can borrow someone else's mac, pluggin in the drive, restart the borrowed mac holding "F" and it'll start running the system you previously installed on the drive. Its not exactly stable but will get you through a gig!
Alright, calm down!

condra

Post by condra » Thu May 14, 2009 5:00 pm

^Good tip.

..hey wait a sec...

HEY LOOK! It's Dan Le Sac!

danzel

Post by danzel » Thu May 14, 2009 6:27 pm

you should have got a pc, they're much better than macs

bodhi71

Post by bodhi71 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:47 pm

I was hoping to get confirmation that it is indeed the Firepod.
The ONLY variable that I had from any other time was my MBP running on battery.
If I knew of a PC that had the same specs, I'd still go with a Mac, I saved my ass off and still don't
Regret it, Waaaaaaaay better exp. than Windows.Wish it was different but that's the reality of it, Mac hater.

dan le sac

Post by dan le sac » Thu May 14, 2009 8:59 pm

danzel wrote:you should have got a pc, they're much better than macs
you shouldn't really be as sweeping in your statements, PC's are as flawed as Mac's. PC's may have the potential to be better than Mac's but will never be, this is because you have so many companies building a PC's different components to different standards, you end up with a PC only being as strong as its weakest component. Too many cooks spoil the broth as they say.
Alright, calm down!