Custom instant mappings

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
the_woof

Custom instant mappings

Post by the_woof » Thu May 14, 2009 6:57 pm

Hey, I'm trying to create a custom instant mapping for the 8 knobs on my Roland VS-880. I read the Instant Mappings How-To file, made a new folder in the MIDI Remote Scripts folder (the instructions refer to a User Remote Scripts directory but I couldn't find anything like that) and called my new folder VS880. I put the UserConfiguration.txt file in there and edited it with the right CCs and channels for the encoders. It showed up in the list of supported controllers when I started Live, I chose the right MIDI input, then added an effect rack and did "Lock to Control Surface 1 (VS880)". The encoders didn't do anything. Does anyone have experience setting up custom mappings and making them work? Also it would be good to just have to select the device and not also have to lock it each time (I'd like to be able to choose which device I'm working with on the fly during performance).

Thanks!
djsynchro wrote:For a female vocal try companding a mid-side encoded signal with a ratio of around 18:2 at around 2.5k, possibly a lower ratio if the source is very sibilant.
my music

importedearthman

Re: Custom instant mappings

Post by importedearthman » Thu May 14, 2009 9:29 pm

I'll be attempting this with a Yamaha KX8 over the next couple days. If I figure it out I'll post the result in hopes it can help.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu May 14, 2009 10:03 pm

I did it for the Nocturn and it works search my name and load it and have a look maybe? I always do these kind of things and then completely forget about what I did so I can't tell you much more about it.

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Thu May 14, 2009 10:26 pm

the vs-880! FTW!!!
ASUS GL553VE- i7 2.81gHz 32gb RAM Win10 64 bit Live 10 standard
Behringer X32, Microlite 5x5, midisport 4x4, APC40
Deluge, Beatstep Pro, keystep, SQ-1
Voyager, Prophet 6, JX-3P, JX-8P, BSII, Minibrute, MB33, Eurorack
DRM1, TR-505, HR-16, Rhythm Wolf, RX15

the_woof

Post by the_woof » Thu May 14, 2009 10:30 pm

Thanks djsynchro--I didn't realize I should have been looking for the Application Data folder, which is hidden by default on Vista (which I'm running now). So I found it and now it's all working.

@mazmith: it definitely would be FTW except now I'm not sure if I can use it since some of the sliders don't track fast enough and the knobs don't transmit MIDI all the way to zero--they go to about 2 at the lowest... weird... so I might have to stick with my electribe but the instant mappings will be helpful with that too.
djsynchro wrote:For a female vocal try companding a mid-side encoded signal with a ratio of around 18:2 at around 2.5k, possibly a lower ratio if the source is very sibilant.
my music

mazmith

Post by mazmith » Thu May 14, 2009 10:46 pm

i started recording/producing with that beast some time ago. i used it to record live shows for a lil while, then it started losing all my recordings. one day they were there, the next they weren't.
ASUS GL553VE- i7 2.81gHz 32gb RAM Win10 64 bit Live 10 standard
Behringer X32, Microlite 5x5, midisport 4x4, APC40
Deluge, Beatstep Pro, keystep, SQ-1
Voyager, Prophet 6, JX-3P, JX-8P, BSII, Minibrute, MB33, Eurorack
DRM1, TR-505, HR-16, Rhythm Wolf, RX15