APC 40 Step Sequencer Sensation !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Out Of My System

Re: APC 40 Step Sequencer Sensation !

Post by Out Of My System » Fri May 15, 2009 9:56 am

I watched that video wearing the expression of a dog that's just been shown a card trick.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Fri May 15, 2009 11:30 am

i was a bit meh about it, but the more vids i see the more im being pulled to it.

aburgener

Post by aburgener » Fri May 15, 2009 11:34 am

daaamn... wow

Babalazarou

Post by Babalazarou » Fri May 15, 2009 12:13 pm

Mama Mia.

I must resist the temptation.

Watched the video, twice, I have to say, flaming heck, yeah mate, that was, just fantastic.

I think that pretty much proves that it's M4L and a APC40 as the way to go.

Watched it again, yep, they have got a stone cold hit.

The bit from 1:00 with the beat indexing was a real, I want that kinda stuff moment.

If I have to buy M4L to give me access to other peoples patches that give me a APC40 with that level of control and integration then I'm sold.

I've got enough to be getting on with, I'm still learning to use Live and it's and my own capabilities.

It's more money but I am going to have it.

Fire it up, hit the record button and play. I think it's gonna be lovely.
He's not the messiah.....he's a very naughty boy

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri May 15, 2009 1:03 pm

I suppose as the music isn't really my thing I'm not as blown away. But man, do i like the rotaries hopping back, THAT is class.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri May 15, 2009 1:31 pm

Guys, I wasn't saying that the guy is a talentless button-pusher. I respect the craft.

I'm saying that he's a talented mofo and I have no fucking idea what I'm watching. It's a lot of seemingly complicated routing and patches that goes far over this simple and lowly guitarist's head. The guy has made a Max plug or something. Okay. What exactly is it doing? Does it automatically slice a wav and slot it into open clips? Is it a step sequencer grid and you assign clips to parts of the grid? Is it black magic and mojo? WTF?

I've been reading up on Max since the APC was announced. The tutorials are all but impossible to follow (what few I've been able to find, actually). It seems a pretty small community of hardcore programmers that seem to only write tuts for one another. That's not a slam, that's just a reality. It's like a club, and you gotta be prepared to really geek out and roll up your sleeves.

Building some really simple shit like a reverb plug is a no brainer. That seems, well, simple. Building an elaborate step sequencer that can modify filters per slot and trigger certain CC ranges depending on the frequency or tone of a sample (or whaaatever) is not.

If I'm missing out on some super awesome Max tutorial site, then please someone fill me in. I want to learn more, but all I've found are 1 or two basic tuts, then BAM! The rest involve building a patch that looks like the world's largest circuit diagram. lol.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri May 15, 2009 2:00 pm

Loop station, I am with you, the max thing isn't for me. i haven't got enough time and frankly it looks like computer programming and ain't no way I'm getting involved in that type of geekery.

BUT, if patches are available and i simply dl and get the apc to do stuff that i want it to do for practical ,music playing purposes, then i am in! 8)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 15, 2009 2:07 pm

UKRuss wrote:Loop station, I am with you, the max thing isn't for me. i haven't got enough time and frankly it looks like computer programming and ain't no way I'm getting involved in that type of geekery.

BUT, if patches are available and i simply dl and get the apc to do stuff that i want it to do for practical ,music playing purposes, then i am in! 8)
I completely understand the general musicians wariness of getting involved in programming, and I wondered if M4L might suffer because of this.
But after seeing that Cycling are going to port 500 of their top 'pluggos' over to be the library for M4L I suddenly have a lot more faith in the non-programmer getting something out of M4L straight out of the box.

Of course, after launch then all of us geeks will be programming up new patches like hell. Especially sequencing ones, as I was bitten by a radioactive TangerineDream when I was a boy I now have an irresistible compulsion to create 'analogue' style sequencers on any platform I am exposed to.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri May 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Angstrom wrote:
UKRuss wrote:Loop station, I am with you, the max thing isn't for me. i haven't got enough time and frankly it looks like computer programming and ain't no way I'm getting involved in that type of geekery.

I completely understand the general musicians wariness of getting involved in programming, and I wondered if M4L might suffer because of this.
But after seeing that Cycling are going to port 500 of their top 'pluggos' over to be the library for M4L I suddenly have a lot more faith in the non-programmer getting something out of M4L straight out of the box.

Of course, after launch then all of us geeks will be programming up new patches like hell. Especially sequencing ones, as I was bitten by a radioactive TangerineDream when I was a boy I now have an irresistible compulsion to create 'analogue' style sequencers on any platform I am exposed to.
:lol:

Stay away from Little Big Planet then. I'm never happy with the result or find a better example already out there. I think for my next sequencer I'll go with a dynamically shifting rollercoaster :wink:

All those pluggo's being ported and then available to be opened and studied.. Dear lord.. Nerdvana..

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Fri May 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Just a question : do you need max4live to RUN (not write or design) plugins, written by other people ?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri May 15, 2009 2:34 pm

Ahh. I hadn't heard that about the release of all those plugs. That's great.

Reverse engineering is always a great way to learn (but by no means a guarantee).

UKR: Absolutly right about the time factor. The older I get the more I realize (much to my horror) that I have to make a CONSCIENCE decision to not get into something new. Because there's no time. Not with all the responsibilities of job and family and house and blah blah blah. For instance, I really wanted to dive deep again into painting. Got excited, made plans. Then I'm like "WTF am I doing? How in hell am I seriously going to fit that in without something having to suffer?" It sucks. Besides all these new pains in my body, it's a powerful reminder of getting old. Suddently, the sky is no longer the limit in terms of what I want to learn or do or..... Only so many hours in a day. Do I really want to give up an hour or two to paint when MUSIC can be made? Painful choices. :cry:

M4L is one of those areas. As cool as it seems. As much as I want to dive in and learn. As badly as I want to create bizarro new guitar mangling nonsense that makes my tone sound like Godzilla destroying Tokyo - the fact remains that if it's too intense and time consuming than it will never happen. heh.

And just how fucking crash proof are these self-made pluggos? God. I can see me trying to create stuff than simply destroys Live every time I fire one up. :twisted:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 15, 2009 2:40 pm

dinaiz wrote:Just a question : do you need max4live to RUN (not write or design) plugins, written by other people ?
So far the official response has been Yes, you need M4L to run all those plugins and modifications made by other people.

There is no 'player' version of M4L that has been announced to the public.
This is why I said earlier that I wondered whether non-programmers would be priced away from it. But with over 500 pluggos and who knows what else(*) in the package I can imagine that non-programmers will leap on it. With a bit of inevitable complaining (of course)

(*)"who knows what else" = M4L has access to the actual underpinnings of Live, so beyond simple 'analogue sequencers', the access to the core of Live means that the Ableton/Cycling team are bound to be creating a range of Live specific customisation Devices. I think the M4L library should be pretty large, and functional enough to mean it wont require you to go and take a degree in software engineering before you play a note.
EG:

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Fri May 15, 2009 2:41 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Ahh. I hadn't heard that about the release of all those plugs. That's great.

Reverse engineering is always a great way to learn (but by no means a guarantee).

UKR: Absolutly right about the time factor. The older I get the more I realize (much to my horror) that I have to make a CONSCIENCE decision to not get into something new. Because there's no time. Not with all the responsibilities of job and family and house and blah blah blah. For instance, I really wanted to dive deep again into painting. Got excited, made plans. Then I'm like "WTF am I doing? How in hell am I seriously going to fit that in without something having to suffer?" It sucks. Besides all these new pains in my body, it's a powerful reminder of getting old. Suddently, the sky is no longer the limit in terms of what I want to learn or do or..... Only so many hours in a day. Do I really want to give up an hour or two to paint when MUSIC can be made? Painful choices. :cry:

M4L is one of those areas. As cool as it seems. As much as I want to dive in and learn. As badly as I want to create bizarro new guitar mangling nonsense that makes my tone sound like Godzilla destroying Tokyo - the fact remains that if it's too intense and time consuming than it will never happen. heh.

And just how fucking crash proof are these self-made pluggos? God. I can see me trying to create stuff than simply destroys Live every time I fire one up. :twisted:
That's scary man ! How old are you ? Ah the old "family vs freedom ...." debate...

By the way nice tracks on soundcloud !!!!!

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Fri May 15, 2009 2:53 pm

Angstrom wrote:
dinaiz wrote:Just a question : do you need max4live to RUN (not write or design) plugins, written by other people ?
So far the official response has been Yes, you need M4L to run all those plugins and modifications made by other people.

There is no 'player' version of M4L that has been announced to the public.
This is why I said earlier that I wondered whether non-programmers would be priced away from it. But with over 500 pluggos and who knows what else(*) in the package I can imagine that non-programmers will leap on it. With a bit of inevitable complaining (of course)

(*)"who knows what else" = M4L has access to the actual underpinnings of Live, so beyond simple 'analogue sequencers', the access to the core of Live means that the Ableton/Cycling team are bound to be creating a range of Live specific customisation Devices. I think the M4L library should be pretty large, and functional enough to mean it wont require you to go and take a degree in software engineering before you play a note.
EG:
Cheers :-)

Did you guys see that :
In terms of delivery, the current plan is that the Live installer for the Max for Live compatible version will not include the Max content necessary to use the product. You will need to download Max from Cycling '74.
from the first FAQ here : http://www.cycling74.com/special/maxforlive
Last edited by dinaiz on Fri May 15, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri May 15, 2009 2:55 pm

dinaiz wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:Ahh. I hadn't heard that about the release of all those plugs. That's great.

That's scary man ! How old are you ? Ah the old "family vs freedom ...." debate...

By the way nice tracks on soundcloud !!!!!

lol, thanks.

It's not even so much family vs freedom (although the family/home obligations play a big part). It's that the time/space continuum actually changes the older you get. It warps. There's truly less hours in the day. :lol: