OT: LOST

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
sparklepuff

Re: OT: LOST

Post by sparklepuff » Fri May 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Jacob got his leg amputated on CSI last night.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri May 15, 2009 1:58 pm

sparklepuff wrote:Jacob got his leg amputated on CSI last night.
Dum dum dum dum

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri May 15, 2009 2:29 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:It's depressing though that there's no good sci fi series on the horizon. Mlah. I became a big fan of the Sarah Connor Chronicles, but it looks to be cancelled now. :evil:
I read they are remaking "V" , which was an immense show in the 80's...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_(TV_series)

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Fri May 15, 2009 3:12 pm

Loop; I was thinking a similar thing, but was thinking Christian God and Satan - Lost seems to have quite a bit of connection to Miltons' Paradise Lost.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Fri May 15, 2009 3:14 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
I'm still betting that that Richard Alper came on the Black Pearl - and that it's the Black Pearl that Jacob is watching on the beach. You wait. That ship is going to end up in the middle of the island, and Richard will come walking up to Jacob and say "Hello Jacob."

POW!
Also, it's the Black Rock :)

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Fri May 15, 2009 3:29 pm

jeskola wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:It's depressing though that there's no good sci fi series on the horizon. Mlah. I became a big fan of the Sarah Connor Chronicles, but it looks to be cancelled now. :evil:

WHAT!!! I was obsessed with that show when I was a kid - good to hear they are bringing it back. The premise behind the show is great....
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

scientist

Post by scientist » Fri May 15, 2009 3:30 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:What would be cool is to find out that there's some sci-fi behind this..that it's not going to turn out to be just a supernatural/Egyptian mythology explanation. Somehow Apep and Set stumbled upon the island thousands of years ago, and it's energy made them into near-Gods.
i still think there will be some science - however pseudo - in the final reveal. the island is the main character, with the smoke monster as its right hand man. any conclusion that casts the island as a secondary character isn't going to happen. therefore, i think the only way they'd follow this set/apep path is if "apep" is the smoke monster. then you're back to man (jacob / set) vs the island (man in black / apep). maybe the man in black is someone from jacob's past who arrived at the island dead, and is how the smoke monster appears to jacob? jacob's just been on the island so long that talking to his dead friend is business as usual.

also: for a lot of people, contemporary egyptology = aliens (e.g. the fifth element), so i wouldn't rule that out (four toes!). if they go that route, it could be that the island is a nexus where the human universe meets the smoke monster's...you get your good vs evil / set vs apep / etc setup, with aliens and science to boot!

my conclusion: who the f knows?

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri May 15, 2009 3:35 pm

scientist wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:What would be cool is to find out that there's some sci-fi behind this..that it's not going to turn out to be just a supernatural/Egyptian mythology explanation. Somehow Apep and Set stumbled upon the island thousands of years ago, and it's energy made them into near-Gods.
i still think there will be some science - however pseudo - in the final reveal. the island is the main character, with the smoke monster as its right hand man. any conclusion that casts the island as a secondary character isn't going to happen. therefore, i think the only way they'd follow this set/apep path is if "apep" is the smoke monster. then you're back to man (jacob / set) vs the island (man in black / apep). maybe the man in black is someone from jacob's past who arrived at the island dead, and is how the smoke monster appears to jacob? jacob's just been on the island so long that talking to his dead friend is business as usual.

also: for a lot of people, contemporary egyptology = aliens (e.g. the fifth element), so i wouldn't rule that out (four toes!). if they go that route, it could be that the island is a nexus where the human universe meets the smoke monster's...you get your good vs evil / set vs apep / etc setup, with aliens and science to boot!

my conclusion: who the f knows?
Oh lord don't let it turn into Stargate plz! Your analysis on man vs. island is interesting. The guy Jacob is talking to is clearly unhappy with the arrival of the Black Rock, he mentions how people mess things up. Jacob responds with "everything until the end is progress." This does reflect Set and the association with chaos.

scientist

Post by scientist » Fri May 15, 2009 3:46 pm

pulsoc wrote:The guy Jacob is talking to is clearly unhappy with the arrival of the Black Rock, he mentions how people mess things up...
good one. that's even more evidence that dude-from-deadwood is the smoke monster.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri May 15, 2009 3:54 pm

Amberience wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:
I'm still betting that that Richard Alper came on the Black Pearl - and that it's the Black Pearl that Jacob is watching on the beach. You wait. That ship is going to end up in the middle of the island, and Richard will come walking up to Jacob and say "Hello Jacob."

POW!
Also, it's the Black Rock :)

lol. Oops. :oops: I was thinking Pirates of the Caribbean. hehe.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri May 15, 2009 4:21 pm

Hmm. I'm not sure that the Man in Black is the Smoke Monster.

If the Man in Black is now Locke (or possessed his spirit or whatever), then why did Locke need Ben to 'summon' the smoke monster a few episodes back? Surely he could simply have turned into the Smoke Monster at any time and scared the bejeezus out of Ben? Why the elaborate plan? Why did they even have to go down into the temple? The Smoke Monster has shown that it can appear pretty much anywhere it wants throughout the island.

No, I think that the Smoke Monster is a separate entity altogether. Maybe it's in league with the Man in Black/Locke. Maybe not. I think not, however. I believe the Smoke Monster will turn out to be unbiased, and that it's some sort of Island guardian - not caring who controls the island; just that the 'rules' are followed. Whatever those may be, lol.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri May 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Amberience wrote:Loop; I was thinking a similar thing, but was thinking Christian God and Satan - Lost seems to have quite a bit of connection to Miltons' Paradise Lost.
Indeed! Also, have any of you guys ever read 'The Keep'? Or seen the film? Good stuff. About these two ancient beings that have been fighting for ages and ages. Each generation adopts them as part of their mythology (in the case of the book it's a vampire vs. an angel of God), but they are above all of that. It's merely mankind trying to explain who they are as best they can; without ever really grasping the truth. I think these two characters are just that.

greggrbirch

Post by greggrbirch » Fri May 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Mehalic wrote:
jeskola wrote:

WHAT!!! I was obsessed with that show when I was a kid - good to hear they are bringing it back. The premise behind the show is great....

Elizabeth Mitchell who plays Juliet has been cast in the V Remake which doesn't bode to well for the fate of Juliet, there is a rumour going around that the show will not be taken up though.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri May 15, 2009 5:19 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
Amberience wrote:Loop; I was thinking a similar thing, but was thinking Christian God and Satan - Lost seems to have quite a bit of connection to Miltons' Paradise Lost.
Indeed! Also, have any of you guys ever read 'The Keep'? Or seen the film? Good stuff. About these two ancient beings that have been fighting for ages and ages. Each generation adopts them as part of their mythology (in the case of the book it's a vampire vs. an angel of God), but they are above all of that. It's merely mankind trying to explain who they are as best they can; without ever really grasping the truth. I think these two characters are just that.
So is it man vs. nature? Law vs. chaos? Change vs. consistency?

This is starting to remind me of the idea that we interpret "visitations" depending on our cultural perspective, from old testament jehovah to UFO abductions.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri May 15, 2009 6:19 pm

@ pulsoc
Inevitable change via evolution. One hates it, the other accepts it.

I gotta go back and re-watch that first scene. 8O

pulsoc wrote: Jacob responds with "everything until the end is progress."

Or..."Everything That Rises Must Converge". heh.