Studio Monitor Noise.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scott nathaniel

Studio Monitor Noise.

Post by scott nathaniel » Thu May 14, 2009 10:26 pm

So, after mixing only with cans for the past year, I decided to get some monitors. I got the new inexpensive Mackie Mr5's. I'm getting what seems to be an unnatural amount of noise. I'm use to single coil pickups and tube amps, so I have a slight tolerance for noise, but not liking this. There's a tube amp like hiss when monitors are on, input maxed, as instructed in manual. The noise doesn't get louder as I turn interface volume, but noise is consistently loud enough to overshadow lighter passages. Anyone have any suggestions. Right now I'm using rca ins, so would it be better to get 1/4 to xlr, or balanced 1/4. I'm not sure on how to cut down radio frequenices, if that's the cause; I'm not hearing wolfman jack or anything, but I'm definitely no expert in these situations. Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks.

EDIT: Well, I got most of the noise reduced to a tolerable level. Moved some cables and moved of away from outlets. Also, lowered level on monitor. feasible now.

Illum

Re: Studio Monitor Noise.

Post by Illum » Fri May 15, 2009 2:39 am

use balanced cables
illumeaudio.com
myspace/illiacsound

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 15, 2009 4:32 am

balanced cables are probably overkill. they really are more for long cable runs and noisy environments. if you want to spend the money definitely go for it but it seems none of us home studio people use it, just an observation from reading here.

if it's guitar that you're worried about, put in a gate plug in.

The noise doesn't get louder as I turn interface volume
that's the key right there. that says that the noise is coming in AFTER the amplifier section of your monitors, right? follow me? because the problem is AFTER the amp, you can eliminate everything else, if I read you correctly. you said that moving cables helped but you also wrote the above.

http://www.mackie.com/products/mrseries/
says they're shielded, maybe yours are broken in that regard.

hth.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri May 15, 2009 4:35 am

I would still try replacing almost all the cables in your set up with balanced cables. noise/hiss/hum is the biggest problem in the studio to fight. besides writers block :oops:

the fact of the matter is that balanced cables aren't gonna hurt, and they might help. I know it cut out HUGE mounts of noise in my studio.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 15, 2009 4:38 am

sure, then replace his sound card and get all new wiring.

there are smarter ways to work than just throwing money at the problem. that's all I'm getting at. that won't fix his problem if the noise is post-amp.

it might work, might not. I remember Sparklepuff had a similar problem, he ended up replacing his 'shielded' monitors, which I think were also Mackies. ??? Sparky??
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Fri May 15, 2009 4:59 am

Tone Deft wrote:balanced cables are probably overkill. they really are more for long cable runs and noisy environments. if you want to spend the money definitely go for it but it seems none of us home studio people use it, just an observation from reading here.

if it's guitar that you're worried about, put in a gate plug in.

The noise doesn't get louder as I turn interface volume
that's the key right there. that says that the noise is coming in AFTER the amplifier section of your monitors, right? follow me? because the problem is AFTER the amp, you can eliminate everything else, if I read you correctly. you said that moving cables helped but you also wrote the above.

http://www.mackie.com/products/mrseries/
says they're shielded, maybe yours are broken in that regard.

hth.
Thanks All, does help. It's only unbearably noisy when I have the monitor input level maxed. When I have it at 12 oclock, it's just a faint hiss. Moving the cables actually didn't help as much as I thought, I didn't have input maxed when I tried that.
It doesn't seem to be entering the recording signal, which makes me think you're right, that they're to do with the monitors, post amp. But like I said, at 50% level, they're fine. These are my first active monitors, so I'm not sure what should be considered normal noise level and such.
Thanks, guys.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri May 15, 2009 5:05 am

of course unity gain is something to learn too, basically not having one signal down low and the next signal up high to make up for it. like..... say you have a synthesizer with it's volume down real low, into a mixer and you put the channel up really high so you can hear it. thatll cause a lot of noise. ideally everything should be around 3/4 volume is kinda the rule of thumb.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

do_om

Post by do_om » Fri May 15, 2009 9:17 am

Probably some kind of "earth" problem. I've had problems w/ earth loops
in all kinds of environments, both apartments and studios. The solutions are
quite varied, all from pro hum eliminators, unplugging your fridge to,...
rewiring the whole apartment complex ! My Pro-Fel monitors are picking up crazy
hum, from the elevator...Don't think I can have them change that anytime soon...

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Fri May 15, 2009 11:57 am

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
man

my mackie mr8s pick up crazzy ass computer sounds :(

Never did get rid of it.. even changed when i turn on the monitor

heres a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k6kAsK-oyQ

dru

Post by dru » Fri May 15, 2009 3:58 pm

I get noise from my Rubicon R5a's which are coming from my Firebox. As soon as I plug in mains power into the firebox (it's bus powered) the noise goes away. And i'm using balanced cables.

scott nathaniel

Post by scott nathaniel » Fri May 15, 2009 5:18 pm

dru wrote:I get noise from my Rubicon R5a's which are coming from my Firebox. As soon as I plug in mains power into the firebox (it's bus powered) the noise goes away. And i'm using balanced cables.
I'm using a firebox as well, thanks for the tip, I'll try it.

abort

Post by abort » Fri May 15, 2009 7:01 pm

If you have a Hp printer hooked up to your system ..remove it or change power source. also remove the crappy application'(S) from the start up. (run>msconfig>startup)

also maybe turn down your self-powered Mackie volume.

also if you a have a little powered mixer which has a mic input (which I never use anyway) turn the trim and volume pots to 0db if not in use.
as this would cause some pink after main out. or what not whatever.

filterstein

Post by filterstein » Fri May 15, 2009 7:15 pm

I know it cut out HUGE mounts of noise in my studio

Well, from a technical viewpoint that would be highly unlikely.
Balanced cables reduce hum and radio interference, generally speaking it does nothing for noise.
Also, it only is worthwhile if both ends are balanced (speakers and soundcard\mixer output).
Broken cables or inputs that are not matched in level to outputs do cause noise.

x0x

Post by x0x » Fri May 15, 2009 8:44 pm

It sounds like a possible GFI issue with your power.

Are your monitors in the same outlet or surge strip? Do you know anyone with a power conditioner you can test with?
Live rig: HP DV6604nr, Live 8, MAudio 1814, Virus Snow, Waldorf Blofeld
Additional Studio Equipment: Nord Lead 3, Moog Voyager, MPC2000xl, TR-808, TR-707, Soundcraft FX16, x0xb0x, Paia Phatman